Did anyone enjoy being in labour?

(62 Posts)

I'm getting a bit broody and thinking about TTC again early next year, but part of that broodiness is a wish to experience labour again. Last time I was in agony with dry, back-to-back labour, ending with an epidural and a crash CS, but I remember it as being a wonderful and powerful experience and I'm hoping for a VBAC next time. Does anyone else feel the same way about giving birth?

newtonupontheheath Sun 30-Sep-12 14:35:55

I enjoyed it... And can't wait to do it again (due date tomorrow!!)

I got a bit scared when it all kicked off last time and remember saying to DH "if this isn't it, they'll have to knock me out because it bloody hurts!" But when me examined me I was already 8cm grin

Did it all without pain relief (not intended...but bloody proud of it!)

I think it's not like any other pain because you know you need only focus on that/yourself and your baby until it is done. Not like when you're ill and you have to do other "stuff" And you know there's a reason for it... And once it's done you get your baby!

I'd like my baby now please..... smile

So it's mainly yanbu then grin. Maybe those of us who enjoyed it were off our trolleys on hormones. Probably why we go back for more.

thanks Good luck newtonupontheheath

newtonupontheheath Sun 30-Sep-12 20:40:22

Pen

Yanbu

Do it do it do it grin

CanIOfferYouAPombear Sun 30-Sep-12 20:43:17

Loved it! It hurt like hell and took forever but it was so exciting!

Norem Sun 30-Sep-12 20:56:05

Yes have had 5 and loved them all for different reasons.
1 st induced had an epidural for high bp so comfy throughout and baby born easily, had a massive rush of happy hormones and even kissed the midwife.
2 nd lovely labour at home got to hospital at 6 cm started gas and air, danced round the room to the radio and he pushed himself out!
3 rd home hypnobirth not painful at all! Gas and air for last 20 mins when I felt I was on a wild rollercoaster, out he came and was drinking champagne before the placenta delivered, loved it.
4 th home water birth, very fast once it got going, midwife almost missed it. Best bit my teenagers appearing right after he was born ( they must have been listening outside the door) smile
Last induced at 34 weeks after waters went, longish, defiantly harder than previous two but he was fine and had lots of lovely skin to skin ( thought he might have to go straight to paeds).
Won't be having any more but a bit sad that no more labours and soft delicious babies for me.
Definitely recommend relaxation/ hypnobirthing .

Devora Sun 30-Sep-12 20:58:20

'Enjoyed it' doesn't describe it adequately. It was bloody tough, painful, scary, and ultimately disappointing as I was rushed off for an EMCS. But it was also the most amazing experience of my life. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

MarianForrester Sun 30-Sep-12 20:59:53

Ha haha!

ReallyTired Mon 01-Oct-12 11:29:55

PeahenTailFeathers

I am glad that you feel positive about your birth experience. I love the euphoria after giving birth and holding a newborn, it makes the pain worth it.

I would love to give birth again to experience the euphoria afterwards, although I am not keen on labour. I enjoyed the second stage as I am lucky in that it was very quick for me. (Small babies both time and very loose ligaments. ds 15 minutes dd less than 2 minutes)

Self hynothosis is a great tool for managing pain/ fear.

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Oct-12 11:42:39

I enjoyed it more than what happened next! I had a water birth which I would highly recommend. Came into midwife unit at 8cm. Baby born 4 hours later. Lovely.

We went home and one week later I was taken to the regional teaching hospital by ambulance with infective mastitis, sepsis and a bladder infection. Given IV antibiotics which I then had an allergic reaction to.

That was last week... Things are getting better!

ReallyTired Mon 01-Oct-12 14:31:57

Congratulations stargirl1701,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been so ill and I am glad to hear that things are starting to get better.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 02-Oct-12 20:25:12

I enjoyed my second after I had the epidural. I spent a relaxing afternoon watching wimbledon women's final before pushing her out in time for tea.

Lizzietow Tue 02-Oct-12 20:33:58

That's interesting peahan. I had just the same experience as you last time and am now 38 1/2 weeks with my second and bricking it! Seriously?! I'm beginning to wish I'd opted for a c-sec!
But-people do say the second time is a lot easier smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now