Did anyone enjoy being in labour?

(62 Posts)

I'm getting a bit broody and thinking about TTC again early next year, but part of that broodiness is a wish to experience labour again. Last time I was in agony with dry, back-to-back labour, ending with an epidural and a crash CS, but I remember it as being a wonderful and powerful experience and I'm hoping for a VBAC next time. Does anyone else feel the same way about giving birth?

elliejjtiny Sat 29-Sep-12 14:42:04

I loved my labour with ds3. DS2 was dry and back to back and absolute agony so compared to that it was easy. Early labour was great. I was in hospital waiting to be induced but there wasn't room for me on labour ward so I spent most of the day either on the antenatal ward with my book and midwives offering me tea and toast every couple of hours or going for a walk round the hospital. Established labour was only 2 hours, painful but not that much harder than taking care of ds1 and ds2 (used to walk 1.5 miles 4 times a day for school run and ds2 has sn and not walking at the time) but with a lot more sympathy. Afterwards was amazing, best bath ever, best tea and toast ever and squishy newborn cuddles.

LaVitaBellissima Sat 29-Sep-12 14:42:20

How do you buy your maternity notes?. I want mine grin

Just request them from your hospital data controller under the data protection act. Specifically ask for all your maternity notes, including electronic records, your baby's notes and all attached documents, such as letters and laboratory results sheets. Mine cost £50 but I think many hospitals charge less than that.

milk Sat 29-Sep-12 16:17:03

I'm 39+4 and can't wait to go into labour again grin

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 29-Sep-12 16:23:46

I don't mind it! The pushing bit is less fun but I find it really exciting knowing baby nearly here!

Labour is the easy bit. Looking after babies/toddlers is what I struggle with.

DC3 is due at the beginning of February. I'm quite looking forward to labour again. Yes, it was hard, yes, it hurt, but I felt like I could take on the world afterwards.

thing1andthing2 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:10:29

No I didn't enjoy it, despite having two "woo" type home water births. After ds's birth (13 weeks ago) the first thing I said was "you're beautiful!" (to ds) followed by "thank god I never have to do that again". I was vair grumpy though as I had expected a shorter easier labour 2nd time round and it was just as long and just as painful as the first one.
If I ever accidentally get pregnant again (v unlikely), I'm going to try my luck requesting an elective c section grin

Loislane78 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:19:45

Hurt like hell, anterior lip/poor position discovered at pushing stage, epidural, drip due to contractions slowing and several hrs pushing later narrowly escaping theater, but I did 'enjoy' it and feel lucky about my experience.

I'm not some freak who enjoys pain and honestly think its because I trusted and had a good experience with the MW and docs. I had a v open mind and no birth plan so that combined with ace care made it good.

For some people I know its they had a bad experience with the MW rather than the pain or things not going according to plan.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 29-Sep-12 19:23:39

I enjoyed my labours having 'forgotten' the painful bits.

FrameyMcFrame Sat 29-Sep-12 19:27:33

Emblosion, I had the same expirience sad

I found labour really exciting and exhilarating until the real pain started. Then I just wanted to go home and forget all about it sad

poachedeggs Sat 29-Sep-12 19:31:28

I loved labour. Had an ELCS first time so to experience it with my second child was amazing. I had an oxytocin drip induction though so it got hard to manage in terms of pain, but it was short and the pushing phase was entirely involuntary and less than half an hour.

I too felt I could take on the world afterwards. I was on a high for at least a fortnight. It was the happiest time of my life to date!

DinosaursOnASpaceship Sat 29-Sep-12 19:38:24

I enjoyed it, I thought it was exciting and was off my face on gas and air to be honest. Luckily for me I didn't find it all that painful - probably because I didn't release the gas, not even at the pushing bit and was in my hands and knees so not much pushing required. Looking forward to ds4 arriving!

wonderstuff Sat 29-Sep-12 19:41:47

I really liked the drugs. Declined pethidine 2nd time as wanted to experience labour properly, that was dumb, it was really fucking painful. Loved g+a. Best bit of labour was the end, when you have a cute baby and you arent pg any more. I HATED being pg.

After first labour I felt very empowered, was amazing high. After 2nd I was too busy to feel anything other than knackered.

nailak Sat 29-Sep-12 19:47:54

i enjoyed it, unassisted home birth, no one poking and prodding me (mw stuck in traffic) walking, eating, my own bath, my own garden, my oil burner and laptop, was brilliant,

I was the same poachedeggs.

After having DD I was buzzing. It was the only time in my life I felt truely happy and ontop of things. I was motivated and energetic.

I dont think this time will be the same sad this pregnancy has really knocked me for six!

poachedeggs Sat 29-Sep-12 20:03:41

wanna that was a dreadful pregnancy, constant problems, and in the end I was induced due to pre-eclampsia. Maybe I felt so good because it was over grin

But it might be the same for you smile

EdgarAllanPond Sat 29-Sep-12 20:05:29

the first time was exciting, even though I did, also, fervently wish to be unconscious - after i felt on top of the world even with 2 2nd degree tears

Actual labour not enjoyable though.

last three times - just Ok i suppose. It hurts.

The thing i really enjoy now is when the older DCs come in to see the baby, huge smiles on their little faces.

nickel usually second births are easier, hopefully yours would be too, though it might not make such a long thread!

The crazy thing is that I was constantly told before the labour "you will forget the pain once the baby is here" but I remember sitting there having contractions every 2mins saying to myself "I will never forget this. Im never doing this again." grin

And here I am on a thread saying I enjoyed labour grin

I think its just such a sense of achievement. That and the fact that I was off my face on g+a!!

thunksheadontable Sat 29-Sep-12 20:29:14

Sucked balls first time. BIG time. Don't even like to think about it.

Last time I really did enjoy it.. it was long (latent labour of ctx of 1 min every 5 to 7 minutes for nearly three days and took a stupidly long time to get from 4cms to 5cms (5am to 1pm with 90 second contractions every 3-5 mins!!!!!!) but God it was powerful... I had no pain relief before pushing and I remember it SO clearly.

I was dancing about to music to keep active and get things going then flinging myself on the ground and whacking the living daylights out of it during contractions.. it was SO physical, it was like running a marathon, it was like a really hardcore euphoric/desolate slog.

Transition was just immense. I felt like I was at the lowest depth of my soul for 30 minutes (more mentally than physically) and then it just lifted and this amazing calm just flooded me and I was ready. That's just etched on my mind.. and the complete WORK that was pushing and the fear that I might split open but the determination to continue to meet this little person... and then he was out and in my arms and I was just babbling on at him overjoyed and full of love.

He is 15 weeks on Monday. I would do it again tomorrow and I would have told you the same within hours of the birth.

SarryB Sat 29-Sep-12 20:52:49

LO is 5 months old - it was a normal birth with water, gas and air, and morphine. However. It was really bloody painful. I still get flashbacks now about the pain.

But...I can't wait to do it again. What the hell is wrong with me??

duchesse Sat 29-Sep-12 21:05:38

No, none of them. Hurt like feck, all three of them. Was glad to go straight to CS without passing through labour for DC4.

poorbuthappy Sat 29-Sep-12 21:09:38

loved labour, hated pushing. Just crap at it.
Would labour all the live long day if someone else pushed.

CrackleMauve Sun 30-Sep-12 14:07:08

I'm not sure enjoy is the right word, but it wasn't as dreadful as I thought it would be. I hated having to speak to people and go to hospital though. I just wanted to hide in a corner and get on with it. The whole "when should I go to the hospital" thing really distracted me and had me worrying. Planning a homebirth for the next one to avoid that.

I think I probably found it ok because the baby was putting pressure in a way that made me start pushing really early. Meant I was actually doing something with my contractions rather than just feeling them. From an avoiding tearing perspective that's not a good way to labour though!

I felt pretty great after though, bloody hungry mind.

I think 'enjoy' is going a bit far but with DS2 I definatly had a really great birth experience and was on a proper natural high for a long time after.

All my births have been good births (the last 3 home births)

I've never had pain relief but thats because g&a made me feel sick and my aunty warned me off pethedine.

DS2 was born in a pool and it HURT, it was labour fgs! But it was strangely wondeful too.

Annunziata Sun 30-Sep-12 14:16:53

I hated it at the time, it was not serene or calm and it was soooo painful but I strangely enjoy looking back at it! Can't understand it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now