Anyone given birth vaginally to a breech baby?

(28 Posts)
SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 16-Sep-12 18:12:13

Baby is breech, argh. Luckily I'm only 35 weeks so there's time for baby to turn around but noises are already being made about ELCS (I won't consider having the baby turned manually).

Has anyone had a breech baby and a vaginal birth? If you knew about it before labour, how did you decide against an ELCS? How did it go? Anything I should bear in mind?

Thanks!

confuddledDOTcom Mon 24-Sep-12 22:37:04

That's brilliant to get, so many HCPs now are out of practice with breech, particularly doctors who usually get the rough end of births.

blooblies Sat 29-Sep-12 18:03:37

This woman managed to deliver a breech baby with the help of the police and ambulance service before getting to hospital!

lazygaze Sat 24-Nov-12 22:27:56

I had a breech baby at home with no midwives! I knew he was breech but in the end it happened so quickly I couldn't get to hospital. If you haven't had your baby yet OP and you want to try to do it naturally then all I can say is try as hard as you can to relax. The old advice to midwives during natural breech delivery was to 'sit on your hands' and leave the birthing mother well alone. I clearly saw 2 paths in front of me during my labour- panic and tense up, or COMPLETELY relax. I did, and it was very easy! Seemed easier than passing a great big head first ( it was my second baby, first one was normal delivery). The only thing I would strongly disagree with in the above comments is to PUSH the head out. DON'T DO IT. This creates a risk of brain damage as the head can be compressed and released too quickly. Without wanting to sound hippy, I trusted my body (I really had no choice with no midwives there) and I felt like my vagina opened up to let him out and closed up after. Seriously it was really odd! I was running up and down the stairs later that day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now