Lewisham hospital

(21 Posts)
marshmallow2468 Thu 14-Jun-12 13:32:35

Hi,

I know this has been asked before, I've done a search, but looking for any recent stories about Lewisham hospital. Or if anybody decided not to go there, what were your reasons? It's my closest hospital, although Kings isn't much further. My GP described Lewisham as "very good" and I'm definitely interested in finding out more about the midwife led unit there. There are a few horror stories out there, but that's the same for Kings.

Thanks!

I've heard the mlu is excellent, my friend is having her ds there (or maybe has had! She's due just now and we're abroad ...)

We lived in London for 5 years, and I would have considered there, had it been open, or barkentine birth centre on isle of dogs.

YoulllaughAboutItOneDay Thu 14-Jun-12 18:03:51

I know people who have had good experiences there- both in the MLU and on the ward- in the last 12 months . Post natal is very overstretched, but that is true everywhere. When I had DD1 the MLU wasn't available, but if it had been I would have gone to Lewisham (was QE).

SalAbility Thu 14-Jun-12 19:57:39

I've spoken to two people who have used the new MLU in the last year, and both rave about it. No recent reports of ward, sorry. It's worth noting that MLU will only accept low-risk cases, and the women in question could only be referred there quite late, once it was relatively certain that no (known) problems were expected, so until then care as normal.

Tripped Thu 14-Jun-12 20:00:20

I know of someone who had an EMCS there two years ago, and was at the MLU this year. She found it great both times.

I believe you can also book a private room for around £35 or something.

glorious Thu 14-Jun-12 20:39:18

That's all really encouraging to hear, thanks everyone. I'm thinking about Lewisham MLU myself as it's my closest by far and had heard good things - but had never heard anything positive about the ward before so nice to hear that at least one person found it ok.

YoulllaughAboutItOneDay Thu 14-Jun-12 22:19:32

I haven't heard anything bad about the ward recently - guess it depends who you talk to. Two friends who transferred from the MLU and one high risk mother who started there all had good experiences. At least one who transferred from the ward the MLU midwife went with her for continuity. Also two friends who had good experiences with their home birth team. All in the last 12 months.

sarahbanshee Thu 14-Jun-12 22:33:26

I had my daughter six months ago in the MLU at Lewisham and I would definitely recommend it - the facilities are modern and lovely, and the care is really excellent and every single midwife I met there was approachable, kind and supportive. They are strict on the 'low risk' assessment and do their own assessment of you before they will accept you; I was on the edge of their weight limit which is a BMI of 35 although in the end when I arrived there I was in fairly advanced labour and they didn't weigh me as I could hardly stand!

I had my son in the main labour ward but that was nearly 4 years ago and I understand a lot has changed since then. I wasn't particularly happy with the care I received either in labour or post natally, although there were some brilliant midwives and doctors. As I say I hear that things have improved recently on the main ward and they have acted on a lot of patient feedback.

Namechangerific Thu 14-Jun-12 22:36:38

It's been two years since I gave birth so I can't comment on the midwife lead unit (it opened around a month after my youngest was born), but I went for a home birth and was cared for by the Lewisham Community Midwives. They were great - if you're "low risk" and at all interested in a home birth, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Onenightsleep Thu 14-Jun-12 22:43:33

Have had DC1 2 years ago on labour ward and am having DC2 there this summer.
MLU is great but only an option if you are low risk and DID NOT have a previous section.
Midwifes on labour and antenatal ward are very good. Medical care from doctors can vary but also is very professional.
Postnatal ward was grim but they have a new leading midwife who is slowly turning the place round.

MumOfTheMoos Thu 14-Jun-12 23:04:21

I wanted to use the MLU at lewisham but in the end had to be induced. Went on the tour though and it was lovely! Definitely go there if you can as it's better than all the other birth centres in the area - the midwives tell me!

I ended up however in the labour ward, which was also great, and because of complications, 6 days on the post natal maternity ward - resources are very stretched, there's not a lot of space and it's kept very hot. bit like Tenko but without the Japanese guards - but the chances are you won't spend any time there - especially if you're low risk and can get in the MLU.

Good to ear about the new leading midwife though.

GrandPoohBah Thu 14-Jun-12 23:08:01

I have heard good things about the MLU too - a friend started there and ended up having an emcs, and she said that despite the birth not going as planned, it was still a very positive experience.

marshmallow2468 Fri 15-Jun-12 10:48:35

Thanks for all the responses, they're really helpful (and reassuring!) I hadn't realised that I'd be asked this early on where I wanted to give birth, I'm slightly more concerned right now about getting to 12 weeks, but my GP has noted down Lewisham on my file. I understand the MLU might not be possible depending on how my pregnancy progresses (still about 33 weeks to go!) but I'm going to keep an open mind, and I'm flitting between thinking an MLU birth sounds best to wanting all the drugs under the sun at the moment! And I can have all my midwife appointments (not scans) at my GP surgery which will make life so much easier than having to trek to a hospital.

Onenightsleep - sounds good that the new leading midwife is turning things around.

Thanks again for all your responses, I feel more comfortable going with Lewisham now.

MumOfTheMoos Fri 15-Jun-12 20:18:35

And don't forget you can always change your mind!

Gingersnap88 Fri 15-Jun-12 20:54:58

I had my daughter in the MLU there in March, it was fantastic! I couldnt use the pool but had a bath and then used a birthing chair. You can have a look around at 30 weeks ish.
Post natal care was good, the midwives were lovely and I ended up in a private room as I was there 4 days. Food is dire but thats the same every where! There's a little seating area where mums can get together to chat, and where we watched a breastfeeding video! I had lots of support with feeding.

I've also stayed on the labour ward while pregnant. While its not as nice as the MLU, the staff are great. I would thoroughly recommend it (I nearly went to Kings as I had heard bad things).

CanIhavesomeginnowplease Netherlands Mon 18-Jun-12 09:59:13

So glad I found this thread! Due in three and a half weeks and still don't know which hospital I will be giving birth in! It's lovely to see so many good comments as I've read and heard alot of bad reviews about this hospital.

MrsHoolie Tue 19-Jun-12 00:34:24

1st baby born 4 years ago at Lewisham. Labour ward midwives were good but not very friendly. Post natal ward was awful.
2nd baby born at King's (we must live near each other OP!). It was fantastic and we were on the postnatal ward for a week.
That said if I were having my first baby now I would go for the MLU at lewisham.

Wingdingdong Tue 19-Jun-12 01:16:38

DS born at Lewisham in Feb. Was high-risk to start (and had previous CS) so MLU never an option. Had a bad NT scan and Lewisham staff were immediately brilliant from the sonographer to the fetal medicine team. I got to experience the labour ward rather too many times for various reasons and each time they were caring, professional and friendly. Made it all the way to ELCS at 39w and apart from a minor cock-up over the timing, Lewisham was faultless. I had a great birth experience in retrospect (recurrent miscarriages and terrible birth experience with DD so I was absolutely terrified we'd lose this one too and lost the plot completely whilst waiting to be called to theatre blush - can't believe the MW was so understanding/sympathetic!). Postnatal care was fantastic - sure, the wards are hot (even in Feb), the food is fairly crap (but no worse than any other institutional canteen food - and they gave me extra portions when I asked!), it's basic like any other hospital ward - but the MWs were never too busy to help despite obviously being busy, and they were always cheerful and friendly. I wasn't on it for long though, DS born Weds pm and I got out on Friday evening. Oh, and Lewisham was CLEAN. Properly clean. We all had to move out of the postnatal ward to the communal seating area so the cleaners could move the beds/furniture. A couple of the women complained but hygiene outweighs convenience as far as I'm concerned.

I would definitely go to Lewisham again, should I ever be foolish enough to risk another pregnancy. DD was born at QE and I wouldn't go there again if you paid me - for anything.

YoulllaughAboutItOneDay Tue 19-Jun-12 07:55:49

Me either Wingdingdong re QE!

Joglo Thu 07-Feb-13 11:10:09

I am looking for mums or dads in Lewisham who use:-
Child care
Child Minders
Nursery
Pre School Clubs
Breakfast Clubs
Kid Zones
It is a campaign for quality accessible, affordable child care and if you meet the criteria then you will be invoted to a group discussion with other parents and you will be paid for your time.
The group discussion will be taking place in Lewisham on 19th or 21st February.
Please contact Lin on 07736 524217 for further information or e-mail lin.nutt@talktalk.net

BadDayAtTheOrifice Sat 09-Feb-13 16:17:37

Unfortunately, Lewisham Hospital is being 'downgraded' by our wonderful Mr Hunt so the money can be diverted to a bankrupt hospital.here

This is going ahead despite huge public opposition. All local GP's are against it (you know, the same ones who will be responsible for organising local health care in a few months) but Hunt is carrying on regardless. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now