Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you need professional help, please see our mental health webguide

Anyone else's DC been referred to a Psychologist for food issues?

(3 Posts)

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right topic but my dd is 3 years old, and after 18 months battling with her to eat, diagnosed with a severe food aversion, being NG fed, being fast tracked for a gastrostomy which I managed to stop, SALT and dieticians have given up and think she needs a psychologist sad

Does anyone have any experience of psychologists and children this young?

Bump

plus30 Tue 22-Jan-13 22:05:54

Hi there, my 7 year old dd has always been a terrible eater - to the point where we thought she was slightly food phobic. She was recently referred to cams team after a particularly bad incident where she refused to eat for almost two weeks - after becoming obsessive about germs. I didn't find the experience particularly insightful but one of the things they did suggest was that an early dairy intolerance had led her to connect food with pain - she was six months old before I could convince my gp that she needed a hypoallergenic formula. I have always been extremely anxious about her reluctance to eat and against my better judgement mealtimes in our house often turn into a battleground. The mental health nurse who saw us suggested that she had picked up on my anxiety and was using food as a way to gain control. Their advice was to let her eat whatever and when every she wants rather than trying to force her to eat at set times. I reluctantly tried this for a few weeks but the result was that she ate almost nothing - which stressed me out again, although I tried very hard to mask it! We're not really any further forward but I thought I would just write so you don't feel like you're on your own - and also to warn you to be prepared for the psychologist trying to turn the problem into yours, rather than your daughters as this is ultimately what I believe they did with mesad good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now