How long do you keep your eggs?

(11 Posts)
notasausage Sun 30-Dec-12 15:18:23

I just got an egg ramp similar to the egg skelter - holds fewer eggs bud takes up less space. Before that I had a system using an old egg box - fill from the right and use from the left, then move the eggs across

arfur Fri 16-Nov-12 22:56:34

I use a date stamp and ink pad for mine! Just regular ink now altho I did start out with food grade ink but was a faff and no ones died yet from the ink! I also have an egg skelter so I know I'm using them in order they were laid smile

Tis true about eggs needing to be at least a week old, but I also find that my blue eggs (Aurucana) peel n=much worse than the brown ones. Read a tip about adding salt to the boiling water, but haven't tried it.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 19-Oct-12 15:20:02

LaBelle I didn't know that about fresh eggs!
And there's me getting all wound up when I do hard boiled eggs for the kids and they peel all moth eaten - I thought there was something wrong with them.
Given that I've had chickens for several years,you'd think I'd be a little more clued up on eggs blush

Writing date on eggs also good because they don't peel if you hard boil fresh ones.

bureni Fri 12-Oct-12 21:47:53

Blackpudding, sound advice.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 12-Oct-12 21:43:12

I'm definitely going to start marking the date with a pencil,and do the float test now if I'm unsure.

Thanks!

Basically, if an egg floats - don't eat it! Degrees of floatiness indicate freshness. They'll start flat at the bottom of the bowl and then start to tip up a bit as they get a bit older.

I seem to recall that if you're keeping eggs in the fridge then you can keep them happily up to 3 weeks, if not then 2 weeks. Most supermarket eggs are close to three weeks old when you get them apparently so I think it takes a while!

I date mine with a pencil too so I can eat them in the right order and if I give any away it means they know how old they are too.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 12-Oct-12 19:54:27

I know I should know the float test,but I don't, blush Could you explain,please!

Mine are randomly in basket,not pointy end down.

I worry as well that I'll give some eggs away and give someone a rotten one because I've had it too long - which I would hate to do.

Pixel Fri 12-Oct-12 19:50:09

I write the date on them with a pencil. My book says that they will keep for 3 weeks if they are stored pointy end down in a cool place (like a larder, it says they don't need to be refrigerated, but mine are in a basket on the worktop as I have no cupboard space). They do seem to be fine for this length of time, although if they are getting older I do the float test before I use them just to be sure.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 12-Oct-12 19:33:21

I'm wondering how long everyone keeps their eggs for,and under what conditions?
I keep mine in a basket on the side but in mid summer sometimes I have a glut and don't use them as fast as I do at this time of year.I know you can't mistake a rotten egg,but there must surely be a time where they are no longer good to eat,or at least not fresh enough,before they're fully rotten IYSWIM.Also,if you hard boil an egg,could you still tell if it was rotten?

I can't seem to get them to lay with a use by date printed on the side of the egg,but if I'm honest I feel a little lost without it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now