Making a firestarter tin for DH.....

(21 Posts)
hillbilly Wed 12-Jun-13 13:16:23

The kids and I are going to make a firestarter tin for DH for Father's Day inspired by the forest school at Forgewood recently. This is what I have to go in it, do I need anything else?

Magnesium flint
Cotton wool
vaseline
wire wool
double point battery
veg peeler
sawdust or dry twigs???

DonutForMyself Wed 12-Jun-13 13:21:17

I just bought one for DP! What about a little survival book to go with it?

hillbilly Wed 12-Jun-13 13:26:16

nice idea Donut!

chicaguapa Wed 12-Jun-13 13:32:06

Would a firestick be cheating? Light my Fire do some good products.

chicaguapa Wed 12-Jun-13 13:32:22

What tin are you using?

Sleepyoto Wed 12-Jun-13 13:34:27

Hey, I emailed them to be put on the mailing list for that and never heard back after they said they would let me know - when was it and how did you get on to it?

hillbilly Wed 12-Jun-13 13:53:37

Chica I'm just using a little rectangular metal tin which I have knocking about. I think it had a freebie penknife and torch set in it.

NettleTea Wed 12-Jun-13 18:53:43

if you look at Shark tinder they do a fantastic range of natural or man made tinders and things. I yearn for a huge box full of little boxes of different types of tinder...... they have the hudson bay boxes which have a magnifying glass in the top.....mmmmmmmmmm

zumo Wed 12-Jun-13 19:42:56

Best tinder is the fluff from a tumble dryer a few sparks and its away.
Sawdust is difficult to get going. Give him his tin and join him on this forum
www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Why a veg peeler?
A basic swiss army knife would be good too
www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-1360300-Army-Knife-Spartan/dp/B0001P15CG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371062541&sr=8-2&keywords=swiss+army+knife

zumo Wed 12-Jun-13 19:43:44

Oh its a good point about a magnifying glass too
I think you need a bigger box LOL

hillbilly Wed 12-Jun-13 20:12:27

Tumble drier fluff? Fantastic! Zumo the peeler is for peeling bark and tiny slivers of wood although his swiss army knife should suffice. He has a magnifying glass on said army knife, that Nettle but I shall definitely look at Shark tinder.

chicaguapa Wed 12-Jun-13 20:29:49

I was hoping you'd found just the thing on the interweb as I'm on the look out for a little tin, but can only think of tobacco ones.

Tumble dryer fluff is a great idea!

DC did Forest School too (not at the same place as OP) and loved it. They're obviously the rage now.

Blu Wed 12-Jun-13 22:07:37

Box of matches and a firelighter?

<<runs>>

hillbilly Wed 12-Jun-13 22:23:15

Brilliant Blu grin that would be a lot easier!

That's been our system for years and will probably never change but I need a present for Father's day......

chicaguapa Wed 12-Jun-13 22:40:42

I've bought a 2oz tobacco tin on eBay to put DH's fire stick in and some tumble dryer fluff. He'll be thrilled with that.

Blu Thu 13-Jun-13 08:34:23

It's a great idea for a father's day present.

You could put one of those 'grandand's toasting forks' in with it, as a bushcrafty sort of gadget.

DS always spends ages messing about with his fire steel and then I come in with the matches and firelighter. grin

Blu Thu 13-Jun-13 08:35:24

We haven't got a tumble dryer.

I wonder if tumble dryer fluff is available on ebay?

hillbilly Thu 13-Jun-13 13:12:36

Blu I can sell you some grin

NettleTea Thu 13-Jun-13 19:01:13

can I sneak a 'forest school' type plug in here that we are running......

Blu Thu 13-Jun-13 19:04:28

Hills - Decathlon sell waterproof matches which might make a good emergency back up addition to your tin..

Nettletea - will the bushcraft course feature 'sourcing your dryer fluff'?

NettleTea Thu 13-Jun-13 19:12:27

OOh it could do.... though it will have to include some sneaking so FIL doesnt spot us creeping into the stable which houses our tumble dryer!! Extreme ninja training anyone??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now