what do you cook on when camping for the weekend? And is there a way to make toast without a grill?

(42 Posts)
carriedawayannie Sat 27-Apr-13 19:53:02

We are planning for the first camping trip.

I have a two ring camping gaz stove without a grill.

Is it worth buying the gas bottle for this or getting a single burner with an aerosol can?

Is it possible to do toast? Is there a gadget that actually works?

DrSeuss Sat 27-Apr-13 20:16:12

Toast, yes of course. On a barbecue fork.

mummymacbeth Sat 27-Apr-13 22:59:58

B&Ms is currently selling a toaster thing that sits on top of the gas burner and fits 4 slices of bread on it. 2.99. bargain!

If it's just for 1 person, a single burner is manageable. If any more, you really need 2 burners. Plus, the double burners are generally quite flat/low to the ground & much more stable.

carriedawayannie Sun 28-Apr-13 07:07:14

I overheard someone say in a shop the other day say the one burners were unstable - I guess eavesdropping can be productive grin

I am off to B&M today for a toaster thingy!

Slubberdegullion Sun 28-Apr-13 08:22:19

camping gaz bivouac stove with the clicky legs stove fits into the pan. Camping gaz bottles click in the bottom.

This is what we use now (+/- the Cobb) instead of the double burner and mofo gas bottle which is always a swine to pack and gives dh the rage.

Cooking happiness contained in a pan. Used it everyday for 6 weeks bar the few days we ran out of gas and mn had to come to the rescue to help me find a new one in Forrin and it was great, put it on top of a backpacker table and it was perfectly stable.

Other backpacking stoves are available.

Camping toast is more bother than it's worth imo. Embrace bread.

We've got one of the toaster thingys, it takes ages and the toast Is always a bit chewy and goes cold almost instantly because of being outdoors.

Iggi101 Sun 28-Apr-13 08:32:53

But can you grill a burger on the toast rack? Must know this.

rumbelina Sun 28-Apr-13 08:33:50

Fry the bread?

AvrilPoisson Sun 28-Apr-13 08:59:43

Mmumymacbeth- what is B&Ms please?

Ds has stopped eating cereal/porridge, and I've no idea what to give hime this year. (Prob brioche...)

You certainly couldn't grill a burgr on the one I've got, it would take hours and all the fat would run into the gas burner, it is basically a 4 sided pyramid of wires that you lean 4 pieces of bread on.

nilbyname Sun 28-Apr-13 09:08:19

Long weekend camping

Night one-Take with us a pot of stew to reheat and have with bread
Morning-Bacon and eggs
Lunch-cold meat, salad, bread, dips
Supper-BBQ meats, salads, breads

Day 2
Morning-Cereal or Bacon sandwiches or scrambled eggs in a wrap (breakfast burrito)
Lunch-usually out
Dinner-Fish/seafood selection, salads and pasta

Day 3-
Morning-Avocados on toast, cereals.
Lunch-Left overs
Dinner-Cowboy supper (beans, sausages, bacon, bread)

I do find the single burner stoves a bit unstable BTW, if you put them on a table that isn't quite level they can slide and pans slide off them, you need to take a bit of care.

I like the look of the bivouac one Slubber - how big is the pan?

Slubberdegullion Sun 28-Apr-13 09:15:48

Big. Pasta for 4 or 5 big. Lid can be clamped to the pan and has a drainer section. Seive now surplus to requirements.

Slubberdegullion Sun 28-Apr-13 09:17:50

Sieve.

That's a weird word.

Thanks. I'm always torn with camping gear, we are fully equipped but it is all basic, cheap stuff. I'm a bit reluctant to spend on more expensive things when we typically only do one or two weekends a year, but then I think maybe we would go more if we had a better stove, gazebo to cook under in the rain instead of umbrella etc etc.

Kiriwawa Sun 28-Apr-13 09:24:41

If you want crunch, heat tortillas in a pan. You can make tortilla chips, glue 2 together with melted cheese and make quesadillas or (and this is divine), put a little oil in the pan, add a tortilla, some grated cheese and break an egg very carefully into the centre. Pop another tortilla on top and flip after a few minutes so the tortilla is browned on both sides. I also add lashings of chili sauce which is also good if that's your thing.

carriedawayannie Sun 28-Apr-13 13:38:48

Slubber I love that and its a good price atm.

Can you only cook one thing at a time yhough? How do you do pasta with sauce or rice with chilli?

Iggi101 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:06:38

Do some people use a griddle thing over their burners? (Have been researching on Amazon!)
I found a twin burner with grill covered most needs, but "modern' ones are much wider than the space I've got (wonder why?).
Of course you could always have electric hook-up and bring a microwave! <Ducks>

DeepRedBetty Sun 28-Apr-13 14:11:58

Except that the microwave would blow the campsite electrics... otherwise a very fine idea Iggi grin

Lady in tent next to me last year had hookup and was running an electric blanket - now that IS a very fine idea!

usualsuspect Sun 28-Apr-13 14:13:54

We always have ehu and take a toaster. Those toaster things from B and M are a bit rubbish.

Some people take slow cookers.

carriedawayannie Sun 28-Apr-13 16:28:21

I don't think we will be doing EHU. Not this year at least

Slubberdegullion Sun 28-Apr-13 20:42:20

Annie, either take pre-made chilli/stew whatever and add it to the cooked and drained rice (1 pot solution) or with 2 saucepans bring the carbs to the boil and cook for 5 mins or so, then take off heat and insulate if possible (fleece blankets, towels, whatever - it will continue to cook slowly) and then use 2nd saucepan to do the sauce. Before serving bring carbs pan back to the boil so it it piping hot.

Blu Sun 28-Apr-13 20:44:46

I don't bother with toast, but toasted sandwiches done with a Diablo thing over a gas ring, or a pie iron over a fire when I get one, are fab.
Also wraps or chapattis or oat cakes done in the frying pan folded over with mred cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now