one off incidents and bullying

(4 Posts)
swallowthree Tue 16-Apr-13 20:10:53

My children's school anti bullying policy defines bullying as something that only happens over a period of time and cannot be a one off incident. I don't find this helpful and over the years, I think this has confused my children and made them feel that one off incidents are somehow less serious. My son was seriously beaten up on two occasions but didn't see that as bullying and it wasn't treated as bullying. Just wondering why it is necessary to make this distinction and what other views are.

DeWe Wed 17-Apr-13 14:08:24

To me, bullying isn't a one off incident, so I'd agree with the school. I'd also say that bullying is targetted at a person or persons.

Looking it up on Wiki it says:
"Bullying may be defined as the activity of repeated, aggressive behavior intended to hurt another person, physically or mentally"

A one off incident (of the same severity) is less serious than if there have been several, surely? If I look at dd1's school behaviour policy, then first offence is treated as a lower level than a repeated offence. And ongoing issues (ie lots of them) are treated as worse too. Wouldn't you agree that's right?

swallowthree Sun 05-May-13 11:34:37

Maybe but depends on the offence. I want my children to know that any aggressive behaviour towards them is unacceptable and can't see the point of making the distinction. I think the one off offence of being beaten up should be treated more seriously than several incidents of eg name calling. Not that I don't think the latter is serious but I think physical assualt if more serious.

Mewhoiam Mon 13-May-13 13:33:52

Even a one off incident can be described as bullying however I'd go with serious bodily harm!. That leaves them on edge and worrying! Especially if that incident is getting the stuffing beaten out of you. Hold your ground. Push back on the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now