Annabel Karmel, not content with making weaning sound complicated, has turned her hand to breastfeeding

(354 Posts)
hunkermunker Tue 19-May-09 15:51:12

Words fail me

And yes, there are snippets in there that are true/useful - but HOW you dredge through the stuff that's unnecessary/nice to have but not essential - who knows?!

littleducks Thu 30-Sep-10 22:39:33
wastingaway Thu 30-Sep-10 22:20:35

grin

theyoungvisiter Thu 30-Sep-10 22:04:08

I might start using that as my put-down du jour.

"Steal my parking space would you? You can fuck right off to legoland."

"Wanda's nicked my cup out of the work coffee room again. She can fuck right off to legoland."

It's got a pleasing trip-off-the-tongue quality to it.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 30-Sep-10 21:58:25

'She can fuck right off to Legoland'

Is there some significance to fucking off to Legoland rather than elsewhere? grin

I'm also quite partial to courgettes in butter, as is DS. I've never cooked an AK recipe in my life though, I think she's fairly awful.

JiggeryPopery Thu 30-Sep-10 21:57:46

Um, Jeeena you seem to hate her so much you have resurrected a year-old thread.

And you're a little bit scary, too, love.

LBsmum Thu 30-Sep-10 21:56:43

i've already read this once ! you are cluttering up my precious mumsnet moment

so much to read.... so little time

theyoungvisiter Thu 30-Sep-10 21:53:06

Are you enjoying the wine advanced search facilities tonight Jeema? grin

Quite like courgettes in butter meself. I mean, I'm not too fussed about AK but I've got no grudges against the courgettes confused

um

okaaaay

Jeeena Thu 30-Sep-10 21:36:36

AK is a total twat!

She looks like a lawyer and she definetely earns more that a lawyer.
She has always an immaculate Wella hair style and perfectly shaped finger nails... the EXACT image you would expect for someone spending endless hours in the fucking kitchen!

She can fuck right off to Legoland with her stupid recepies about frying crougettes in butter!

angry

loulabellecelino Sun 07-Jun-09 17:59:45

what a load of bollocks. I dont know what is worse, that she write that crap or that some poor women actually read it and take notice.

kazbeth Sat 06-Jun-09 20:19:26

Oh, and I forgot to add that I quite liked the annabel karmel books. I've looked again at them since this thread and realised I'd not bothered reading any of the first chapters and went straight to the non puree recipes so maybe that's why. We were in a food rut at the time so it gave us some good inspiration.

kazbeth Sat 06-Jun-09 20:16:50

I don't get why anyone would spend so much money on advice when they could go to one of the charities (NCT LLL etc) and get advice for free. If they really wanted to they could donate the equivalent consultation fee to the charity .. I'm sure they'd be glad of it. Is it just that people don't know these organisations are out there?

mummyfuss Sat 06-Jun-09 13:40:48

Just a further point earlscourtqueen - why have you posted an almost identical post on 2 forums?.......and how much is she paying you?

MrsTittleMouse Tue 02-Jun-09 13:00:10

foxytocin - what a fantastic video!

ruddynorah Tue 02-Jun-09 12:33:41

lol at the 2 CBC fans wink

bambipie Tue 02-Jun-09 12:29:17

hmm

earlscourtqueen Tue 02-Jun-09 11:04:29

Just a further point, the lactation consultant I saw WAS a fully qualified IBCLC consultant.. Clare came highly reccomended by numerous people, including the midwives in my hospital. I cant thank clare enough for her help and advice. It is a real shame that to think that when seeking medical help and advice that you can be so misled, but Clare is straight forward with real sound advice that works for the indivisuals and not preaching from a text book. I can only say great things about Clare Byam Cook.

oh right...I wasn't sure...easily confused me...

tiktok Mon 01-Jun-09 14:00:37

FairLady, that was Claire Verity, not CBC.

CBC wasn't teh one on that god awful programme a fair while back, where they tried out different routines/childrearing techniques, with family's of new Baby's...or is she, i.e. the one with that very strict routine, thing...
anyone know what I am talking about?

dorisbonkers Sun 31-May-09 15:33:17

Wanted to add that my posh friend who used her only breastfed for 8 weeks after topping up and half-heartedly b/feeding before finally giving up. Mind you, she keeps hinting that I should stop b.feeding my 7-month old daughter so it's clear she isn't all that into it anyway.

dorisbonkers Sun 31-May-09 15:30:07

earlscourtqueen and Callipop. Clare Byam-Cook is a lactaction consultant so will have helped some individual women -- if she didn't she wouldn't have succeeded in her field -- and she is to be commended for that. My posh friend used her and she's good at getting women to latch.

But the key thing here is that using her platform as a 'celebrity' breastfeeding coach she is disseminating incorrect and outdated information about breastfeeding that has the potential to fuck up many more women's breastfeeding experiences than individuals she has helped.

I never read any breastfeeding books (my baby turned up early) but had been given the Gina Ford book (by the same posh friend, er, thanks!) and although I never intended to follow the plan I did read a bit and the advice CBC gave about breastfeeding and expressing being a sign of supply really really messed with my head and almost derailed things for me. For that, and that alone, she gets a resounding two fingers up from me.

I started breastfeeding without any knowledge of how it worked and I didn't have the confidence I have now to ignore her batshit advice. Especially as I had a small baby so there wasn't a lot of margin for error.

I've since skimmed her book at a friends and there' something about the tone and the advice that makes me think she secretly despises women and motherhood.

BCLass Sun 31-May-09 15:02:23

love CBC, obviously, small freudian slip grin (and crumbs under keys!)

BCLass Sun 31-May-09 15:01:24

So Callipop and earlscourtqueen both never posted on Mumsnet before, both can't write in paragraphs, both love BC, both have no profiles (well, not all of us do admittedly wink)

suspicious, moi?

vlc Sun 31-May-09 00:57:58

If CBC causes more damage than does good, I wish she would cease to provide her services until she is better equipped and the equation is reversed.

Based on her advice, I suspect she has destroyed bresatfeeding more times than assisted it.

Even cowboy builders probably hammer a nail in successfully once in a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now