giving up breastfeeding after 13 years

(80 Posts)
JanH Wed 20-Apr-05 09:33:15

yes, 13 years, not 13 months (more than one child though ): Guardian article.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Mon 10-Dec-12 15:02:19

Wow, what a grown-up little chap ! Why were mine never like that ? hmm

leedy Sat 01-Dec-12 16:41:48

TryDubai, DS1 was around 2.5 when I was at the same stage of pregnancy with DS2, and he actually self-weaned (with a bit of a nudge) very easily - milk supply tends to drop in the second trimester and he obviously wasn't getting much, so his time on the boob at bedtime was dropping anyway, then one evening I suggested that maybe he had "drunk all the milk", he said "yes, I drank it ALL" and never really asked for it again! Very painless for all concerned. He's now very interested in DS2 having his milk but has shown no interest in it for him, if you know what I mean, other than "I had that when I was a baby".

nellyjelly Sat 01-Dec-12 13:31:06

Not complaining just curious!

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 23:27:33

I think the title must have just caught my eye somehow - seems it was me that un-earthed it nelly. Still it may have helped a couple of people and been of interest to a couple more ?

Elfontheshelfiswatchingyou Fri 30-Nov-12 22:52:04

I hadn't realised it was such an old thread. She's probably stopped now.

nellyjelly Fri 30-Nov-12 20:57:47

Oh. Why is this thread being unearthed again?

Elfontheshelfiswatchingyou Fri 30-Nov-12 20:44:37

Thanks for the link to an interesting article. The writer seemed to be an educated, grounded, sensible woman. Kudos to her I say.

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 19:50:11

I weaned DD from BFing at 4.6 yrs with a Christmas tree star chart followed by a choice of present from Notcutts - she chose a little fairy with air plant which was cute. I weaned DS just after his sixth birthday by going to the Lake District with a friend for a few days and leaving him at home with his DSis and DH.
There's plenty of scope for creativity with later weaning !

I was BFing DD all through my second pregnancy and did find it more uncomfortable than usual - as usually I found it completely plain sailing. Felt a bit more empty I think during pregnancy and as though DD was having to suck a little harder. But not so sore that I felt the need not to continue.

HTH !

nellyjelly Fri 30-Nov-12 19:35:10

Oh for godsake, people getting upset about breastfeeding toddlers. It is not unusual, especially in other cultures. It is normal.

It is in our fucked up culture that we see a problem with it. Saying 'eww' etc is just ridiculous. Get over yourselves.

EauRouge Fri 30-Nov-12 19:30:20

TryDubai- I tandem feed my DDs. I did get a bit of soreness towards the end of pregnancy but it's different for everyone. Try reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing, there's loads of info in there. LLL groups usually have a copy you can borrow or if you want to buy it get it straight from LLL, it's cheaper than Amazon.

rainbow- children gradually lose their sucking reflex as they get older and gradually stop on their own. This is known as self-weaning and research suggests it happens between the ages of 2.5 and 7 years. I don't know what the average age is but I assume it would be a bell curve so around 5 yo maybe? My DD1 is 4yo and shows no signs of stopping!

You can wean however suits you though, there are gentle ways to wean if you don't want to wait for your DD to wean herself.

I'm with you on the illness thing, we've all got horrible lurgy at the moment!

rainbowweaver Fri 30-Nov-12 18:44:59

The other benefits are if your child is ill and they ten to wake up a lot at night, they can BF at night and both of you get more sleep that way!

I have a question, DD is now nearly 3 years old, how do they stop BF? Is it a decision they take? Or jointly discussed and agreed?

TryDubai Fri 30-Nov-12 18:04:15

Hello there

Need to ask - am still feeding two year old - her sister stopped at 2 yrs 3 months. Am 14 weeks pregnant and her latch really hurts or my boobs are bigger or something. Am finding it really hard.

Will it continue and get worse or will it stop eventually? Any tandem feeders out there? How will I cope with the difference in latch? Thank you x

midori1999 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:44:42

I'm glad this came up again as I hadn't seen the article in the OP and it made a lovely read. smile

HotheadPaisan Fri 30-Nov-12 16:39:50

2005, fantastic, well, there you go! Really do not care what anyone else thinks, I never read the comments!

HotheadPaisan Fri 30-Nov-12 16:37:50

I've spoken to Joanna, she's a good journalist, didn't know she'd been bfing for so long. I've done 6.5 years and have had enough now. I'm stopping DS2 in the day at weekends (I WOHM FT). Hopefully the nights will follow but not so bothered about those. I won't miss it either, the DSes got what they needed from it and that's it really.

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 16:11:15

smile @ BB

BertieBotts Fri 30-Nov-12 13:29:02

Ha - you can see how attitudes have changed on here over the last 7 years! You'd never get these comments on this board now grin

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 09:06:57

Oh yes EauRouge - an 05 thread - I didn't notice that !

Thanks for suggesting that some sort of decoration is in order smile

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 09:01:48

Mine are pretty perky too wink - but they were always "small but perfectly formed" - and evidently fully functional too smile

5madthings Fri 30-Nov-12 08:58:29

Saddened by some of the comments on here. I bfed for over nine years, my boobs are fine thanks very much and therr are numerous benefits to mother and child in continuing into toddlerhood.

EauRouge Fri 30-Nov-12 08:54:16

This thread is about 13 years old grin and a lot of the opinions on here are rather hmm old-fashioned.

Juggling- sounds like you've had a busy 8 years! I dunno about a medal but I think it definitely warrants some kind of jewellery.

I just want to point out that contrary to several posts on this thread, it is pregnancy that makes your norks sag, not breastfeeding. I think that study has been done since this thread was started.

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 07:21:07

I breastfed everyday for 8.6 yrs - only two DC's - BF DS till he was 6 and have 2.6 yrs gap between DD and DS. Tandem fed for 2 yrs until DD was 4.6 yrs old.
No gaps either ! - I noticed she had a sneaky 9 mths gap in there somewhere - lightweight grin Do I get the bronze medal ? smile

bobbybob Thu 21-Apr-05 20:05:42

Re anitibodies at preschool. Ds is the only child who goes who has not been sick since starting. He has done for 5 months now. We also get a lot of kids through our house because I teach from home, and I've had everything going! He hasn't caught any of the illnesses.

None of the staff at preschool know he is breastfed. I just said that he didn't have a bottle after lunch (which is true!) And I don't think the placebo effect can be true of one so young...

tiktok Thu 21-Apr-05 14:38:55

tex, antibodies are dynamic. They are produced as needed. The baby (child) orders them up with the salivary contact on his mother's skin. This is another reason why it makes no sense to express and put it in a cup.

tiktok Thu 21-Apr-05 14:37:06

zebra, not so.....all breast cancer increases in women who have not breastfed, and there is powerful worldwide data that confirms that. This massive study abstracted here from the Lancet shows this.

Tex, the reason you don't hear of this is simple: there is a terror of making women who do not breastfeed 'feel guilty' and therefore the risks of not breastfeeding, to mother and to child, are downplayed a lot of the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now