My baby is not taking feeds

(102 Posts)
Summerlover Fri 26-Apr-13 15:18:21

Hi to all lovely Mums,

I am very new to mumsnet and in disparate need of help.

To start with I wanted to exclusively breast feed my chicken but he had jaundice when he was 10 days old and was in hospital for a night. There in the hospital the doctors put him on Aptamil and when he was discharged adviced us to do mixed feeding. Then he was diagnosed with severe reflux which he has until now. Can breast milk cause reflux?

My LO took just 270 mls yesterday and until now just 120 mls after loads of struggle. He is 4 months old I am really worried and stressed what shall I do?

Please help.

Summerlover Sun 26-May-13 19:44:20

Did go out it was such a beautiful day. Struggled with feeding LO. I am some what bfing because ds won't take breast during day time so, I try to do that at nights.

noblegiraffe Sun 26-May-13 13:32:16

So sorry things are still tough for you, and I hope that the paediatrician can figure out a long term solution.

Enjoy your day off, make sure you get out of the house otherwise you will feel on edge listening in and waiting to be called. Are you still bfing at all?

Summerlover Sun 26-May-13 13:26:51

Enormous thank you to everyone. DS is teething is as well I am pretty sure and has no tongue tie. Seems reflux and teething are making him fussy because of all this he isn't taking his feeds. Fingers crossed and hoping he will get relief soon and take his feeds.

Summerlover Sun 26-May-13 03:32:35

Have already tried all that you mentioned but with no luck. It's just do tough. DH is planning to take care of him entire day and give me a break. Hopefully Das will be settled otherwise I would have to pitch in. I am finding things so hard with babies.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-May-13 15:08:48

If you think he is teething try him with some ibruprofen about 20 mins before a feed and a teething gel like dentinox just before you feed.

Have seen this tip on another thread and it made me think of you. Behave a google of images of upper lip tie.

Summerlover Tue 21-May-13 10:55:16

Saint Thomas's appointment is in 3 weeks time. I trust them so much that I am just waiting to see a consultant there. GG thanks would try that.

It's just so difficult I kind of feel depressed about all this sorry I have been on net.

Also, does teething also put babies in to refusing milk. It's quite possible that he is teething because he likes to grab everything and chew or is he just hungry.

I have tried I think almost everything to try and feed him. It makes me all cranky.

GraceGrape Thu 16-May-13 21:33:09

You could make up a bit of the powdered Enfamil into a liquid and then mix with the ready made Aptamil if you want to keep using that?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-May-13 19:43:46

Have you managed to secure a Paed appointment summer?

Summerlover Thu 16-May-13 19:34:17

Thank you everyone, well I am taking each day as it comes now. Going step by step. Need to wean DS to powdered aptamil first as he is on ready made Aptami, l infact need to make sure he takes some milk first then wean to powder and then start adding enfamil probably or workout how to wean him to that as one of the MNetter has pmed me about it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-May-13 21:07:10

summer how are you now?

OpheliasWeepingWillow Wed 15-May-13 13:49:48

PM me for his immediate contact details OP

OpheliasWeepingWillow Wed 15-May-13 13:48:17

Go see Mike Thomson. Urgently. He's at the Portland.

Hi Summer, just seen this thread.
My DD is nearly 4 months & is on 10mg Omeprezole & an Aptimal Pepti formula. We have trouble getting feeds into her too as it just hurts. BF hasn't worked out as she screamed with pain everytime she got a good latch.
We use Tommy Tippee bottles on a number 2 teat, but I think we're going to go up to a number 3 as when she has to suck hard it seems to put her off.
Nuk bottles are good too as she doesn't have to put them too far into her mouth. Also our stretchy wrap has been a Godsend.
I hope the Paed helps. We were referred at her 6 week check due to the amount of times we'd been into the GP about her reflux. She's my second refluxy baby!
I'm in North London & feel free to pm me.
Good luck flowers.

Summerlover Tue 14-May-13 19:38:47

Thanks GG have searched. I think I will take him either to Harley street or St Thomas's. GP has also referred us today to saint Thomas's.

I had read about vs milk called enfamil and doctor has prescribed it as well. Infact we have already bought it butds doesn't like it.read that it helps babies with reflux. Not sure how to transition him to it.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Tue 14-May-13 09:42:30

http://www.paediatricgastroenterologist.co.uk/

Not dealt with him myself but this is the sort of expertise you need

GraceGrape Mon 13-May-13 23:48:52

Summer you need to look for paediatric gastroenterologists at your local hospital/private hospital. You could try phoning the switchboard and see if they can advise you if there are any?

I have sent you a pm with the name of the gastroenterologist I saw with DD1 but he is outside London I'm afraid.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-May-13 20:49:54

Oh you poor thing. Have no idea of Paeds in London, hopefully some kind MNer will come along soon.

Summerlover Mon 13-May-13 19:48:11

Hi ladies,

You all must be wondering how things are and where have I gone? Sorry things haven't been good at all. I have been very busy with my DS that's why I haven't be onto MN. We went to A&e during weekend as DS refused his feeds all together. Before going there we had figured out it because of reflux. He is I the verge of dropping his weight now. I am shattered as I have no night no day no nothing except r
Trying to feed him. He has been screaming in pain it bless him he is a fighter a s trying to fight it the best he can. It wasn't really useful going to A&e as they can't do any tests so, need to get a referral from GP. We are thinking to get him checked privately now. Does anyone knows any good paeds in London ?

Accentuatethepositive Fri 10-May-13 09:32:13

How is the baby mooning going summer? Any progress?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 08-May-13 21:51:58

A baby moon sounds like a very good idea. Get DH to leave you lots of snacks and drinks and go to bed with Lo for a couple of days. Sod the housework and everything else.

I get the impression that you are very much on your own with this, is your DH helping at all? Could he go to the GP with you?

Summerlover Wed 08-May-13 21:13:10

Seems like I am half asleep every time I am reading or responding on MN. Actually I am, my eyes are half shut due to lack of sleep and now when I read back my English seems so poor. Now, I know ATP why you thought I am not fluent in English.

Coming back to my LO. She saw what happened whenever I tried to feed him with the breast, didn't do bottle there but she understood very well what I was saying.

Other than getting my little darling checked by a GP she told me to do baby moon. She will call me on fri to check on how we are getting along. I will be going back to the BFC next week. ZUNE

Accentuatethepositive Wed 08-May-13 19:50:26

Glad you got to clinic summer, did you find it helpful? Did the bfc watch a feed or could you not persuade DS? Did she at least watch you try to feed him, either with breast or bottle? Any other practical suggestions other than visiting GP?

Summerlover Wed 08-May-13 17:57:40

Hi JJJ,

Sorry missed your post.

It's still the same. Update- i met a bf counsellor today very knowledgeable lady. She also suggested the same that my HV and GP are not right. They are talking ridiculous.

She agreed with me that it does seem that my LO is associating feeding with pain, lets just take today he had a feed at 8:30 am and the until 5 pm nothing which is so not happening. I couldn't feed him like the way I do, as we went to the bf cafe and when it was his feeding time I had to leave the house to get to the BFC otherwise would have missed like last time. I felt very bad and still feeling but I had no other choice.
She has asked me to take him to GP to get him checked for infections so, we can eradicate that and have a plan if action.

Tongue tie she said he seems alright and that she can't refer him to paed now for it as. He is not that much young.

Summerlover Mon 06-May-13 14:24:48

Thank you GG and willitbe for sharing your experience.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-May-13 09:23:57

If you do decide to wean from supplements, have a read of this first.

How are you getting on now? Have you tried the sling yet?

Also what does your DH think about all of this? Has he managed to take Lo out for you so that you can get some rest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now