17 day old BF baby and only 1 wet nappy, normal?

(14 Posts)
peanutMD Fri 22-Mar-13 16:58:02

DD gets changed on average 8 x per day and I can't even remember the last nappy that was just wet, she poo's constantly!!

I've spoken to the MW/HV about this and they say its fine but I worry that DD is intolerant to breast milk or something confused

In the first 6 days after birth she lost 9 ounces add by day 14 she had only regained 4 ounces if that is if any significance?!

My first DC was formula fed do this is new to me.

Bluelightsandsirens Fri 22-Mar-13 16:59:30

Is the poo runny, ie wee and poo? Have you given any cool boiled water?

I would worry about dehydration

MajaBiene Fri 22-Mar-13 17:01:57

How often does she feed? 10-12+ times in 24 hours?

Don't give water to her though.

Is it possible that the dirty nappies are wet too?

RightUpMyRue Fri 22-Mar-13 17:04:52

Do you mean only one wet today without poo in it or only one wet nappy and nothing else?

If she's only produced one wet nappy over the last 24 hours it's not OK and a sign of dehydration. You need to take her to A+E.

If you mean every nappy has some poo in it as well as being wet then that's absolutely fine and normal.

Breastmilk has a "gut rush" effect on the bowel, particularly has a "gut rush" effect on the bowel, particularly in the early weeks, and is one the reasons BF babies are at a lower risk of gastrointestinal infections- the poo doesn't hang around long enough to breed any nasties in the gut. The frequency of the poos will slow down over time and she may end up not going for a few days at a time, again perfectly normal for a BF baby. She may carry on having at least one poo a day though. There's no hard and fast rules.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 22-Mar-13 17:07:47

Do not give her water.

How often is she feeding? Do the nappies feel any heavier than when you put them on her?

Lots of poo is normal and a good sign generally, shows there is plenty of milk going in.

Can you clarify?

peanutMD Fri 22-Mar-13 18:33:58

Sorry posted and then fell asleep blush

I should've been clearer with my words.

she's had 1 wet only nappy since birth (at most 3) the rest have all been poo/urine combination although obviously its hard to tell how wet.

Poo its very runny, a kind of watery Korma colour if that makes sense.

My DS is almost 7 so all if this has faded away in my memory lol

KobayashiMaru Fri 22-Mar-13 18:35:13

sounds fine to me, all of my babies (BF) have been poo machines, and rarely were just wet until after weaning.

peanutMD Fri 22-Mar-13 18:35:20

Oh and she feeds on demand, usually with a 3 hour maximum gap but she has her times where she will eat more.

FattyMcChubster Fri 22-Mar-13 18:43:59

Totally fine. Dd had very wet Korma poos for ages. Every nappy seemed to poo all the time. Totally normal. Think shes was about 5 months old before they changed.

MajaBiene Fri 22-Mar-13 18:45:38

I never changed a just wet nappy tbh - DS pooed about 10 times a day until he was on solids.

If your baby is feeding at least 8 times a day and pooing and weeing at least 8 times a day then I am sure she is fine.

RightUpMyRue Fri 22-Mar-13 19:30:56

That's good to hear OP. Perfectly normal to see some poo in every nappy.

Sloppy korma sauce is fine. smile

Friday night take away anyone? grin

peanutMD Fri 22-Mar-13 20:58:29

Thanks everyone, I think given her weight loss I was panicking that she was pooing out any goodness somehow.

Thank God I dint eat Korma lol

minipie Fri 22-Mar-13 21:06:42

totally normal, we had a bit of poo in every nappy until about 6 weeks iirc.

Ds4 is 7 weeks now and was the same for the first 3-4 weeks, poo every time. It's settled down now, although we still have lots of poo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now