Should I still breastfeed a 2 yr old who has D&V bug? Dr says no.

(35 Posts)
OPeaches Fri 08-Mar-13 16:48:01

Is he right? DD is a week away from turning two and usually just has one feed a day. She's had D&V bug for three days and is keeping very lite down, but does want to breastfeed. GP said not to give her milk, including breast milk, because the lactose makes them throw up. I always thought to keep on feeding, that's certainly what I did when she was younger.

Anyone know?

OPeaches Fri 08-Mar-13 16:48:40

Little, not lite

I always thought the advice was to keep on feeding, as your milk is the most gentle on their stomach. Have you tried feeding her? Does she keep it down?

changeforthebetter Fri 08-Mar-13 16:50:47

Dr is wrong. I was told.the same. breast milk provides.antibodies nutrition and.comfort - hope.LO.better soon

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 08-Mar-13 16:52:52

Doctor is talking bollocks. I've had this said to me lots of times and blithely ignored. Your milk contains white blood cells and will actually make her get better more quickly. With mine it was often the only thing they did keep down. She sounds like a clever girl and knows what's good for her.

Have a read of this too smile

ChunkyPickle Fri 08-Mar-13 16:54:02

When DS had D&V breastmilk was the only thing he could keep in (I won't say down...) - normal milk went straight through in a flood for weeks after.

Breastmilk was pretty much the only thing he'd eat for nearly a week - he'd have faded away to nothing if I hadn't!

squiddle Fri 08-Mar-13 16:54:07

Dr is wrong - the standard advice is to continue bf as it is a great way of keeping baby hydrated. Ring the Breastfeeding Network's helpline if you want advice: National Breastfeeding Helpline: 0300 100 0212

LizaRose Fri 08-Mar-13 16:54:20

I always BF mine when they had upset tummies and as far as I am aware it is the best thing for them.

moondog Fri 08-Mar-13 16:54:52

GPs talk bollockjs about breastfeeding.
Ignore him/her.

5madthings Fri 08-Mar-13 16:56:33

Dr is wrong, bfeeding will be the best thing for your dd, hope she is feeling better asap xx

Whyriskit Fri 08-Mar-13 16:57:30

Dr is talking nonsense. DS2 had vomiting bug at the same age last year and doc said it was only me feeding him that kept him out of hospital as it was all he could keep down.

OPeaches Fri 08-Mar-13 16:57:50

Thank you all for the quick advice. I thought he was talking rubbish too, will ignore. She's keeping nothing in for longer than five minutes.

Pancakeflipper Fri 08-Mar-13 17:00:56

You could cut down on your own dairy intake just for peace of mind but by the time the cut back shows in your milk hopefully your child will be better

tiktok Fri 08-Mar-13 17:05:53

Cutting down dairy intake by a mother makes no difference to the lactose in the milk - lactose is there whatever, 'cos it is the milk sugar in all mammalian milks. Cows' milk contains lactose and they eat (lactose-free) grass smile

Please let your doc know how wrong his advice was, Peaches.

munchkinmaster Fri 08-Mar-13 17:06:19

My baby is sick at the mo and feeding makes her chuck. At the moment we are on short feeds and bread, water and diaroalyte. It's poo (literally) but any milk seems too heavy for her. She's surviving - my boobs not exploded (yet).

Pancakeflipper Fri 08-Mar-13 17:11:44

Might make a difference to CMP... Well that's what guidance I was given for a dairy intolerant child

tiktok Fri 08-Mar-13 17:20:35

The OP's doc had told her it was the lactose that would make her throw up, not the protein.

KatherineKrupnik Fri 08-Mar-13 17:24:07

I wish doctors got proper training on breastfeeding. My DP is one so I know they don't I train him

WoTmania Fri 08-Mar-13 17:25:10

Dr is wrong...BM doesn't count as dairy. Your milk will hydrate and nourish your 2yo and provide antibodies.

OPeaches Fri 08-Mar-13 17:28:15

Thanks Tiktok. I will let him know.

OPeaches Fri 08-Mar-13 17:29:13

blush
Thanks everyone else too - cross-posted, didn't just ignore everyone after Tiktok!

Startail Fri 08-Mar-13 17:38:33

If you BF beyond a year it's best not to mention it except if they are prescribing you something. it just causes confused

carre Fri 08-Mar-13 17:50:23

breastfeed and for antibodies and easy digestible nutrition

memememum Fri 08-Mar-13 20:40:16

Hello Peaches. Can I sympathise with you. I'm sitting on sofa with now sleeping 16 month old after a day filled with poo and sick. (Luckily he has a big sister otherwise we would have run out of clothes).

I spoke to the doctor on the phone and think I was lucky to get more balanced advice than yours gave. She said that ideally they would have little sips of drink every half hour or so as more likely to keep that down, but she realised that was easier said than done with breast feeding and I could reassure myself that he's well hydrated by looking for wet nappies and that he is alert and not floppy or more drowsy than normal. She also said to keep an eye out for a temperature or rash.

Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Dr talking utter utter rubbish, keep feeding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now