Feeding 4 month old expressed milk - beaker or bottle?

(4 Posts)

You can use an open cup (no lid/spout) at any age, but it has a knack to it and takes some getting used to, you may lose some or a lot of your precious milk along the way. You could test it with a bit of cooled boiled water to see how you get on before deciding whether to go for that or bottle. Different bottles get different results as well, I would try the newborn teats first before investing in others, as baby will be new to bottles a slower flow might be useful.

mcsquared Wed 27-Feb-13 20:54:54

I found some good advice on the kellymom and NCT websites. I think I'll just try a beaker and bottle with slow flow teat and see what happens! He has a really strong suck so my worry is anything too fast flowing may result in more air intake. I think my beaker is free flowing, not sure if I need a valve?

This may all be purely academic as I may have left it too late!

Awakeagain Tue 26-Feb-13 19:26:14

I'd love to know this too
My ebf had had a few bottles so I could go out but now won't even suck on them and just cries!!
I have been thinking about a 'cup' instead

mcsquared Tue 26-Feb-13 16:33:33

My pump arrived today and I'm eyeing up sterilisers on eBay, but as much as I google I'm not sure about the mode of delivery!

I have a tommee tippee beaker for 4m plus and the bottles but would need to buy different teats as they have the newborn teats (was a present). Cups wouldn't be appropriate yet, would they?

I fear I may have left it too late to start introducing bottles etc but have only now felt up to trying (thank you for everyone who supported me in my last thread).

I may have the opportunity to go on a course for work in April, which would be really good for me and it's three days away. I'm hoping it'll be OK to go and keep breastfeeding!

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have info on storage etc but how much do I need expressed for three days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now