Bf a 7 1/2 month old - am I the only one?!

(72 Posts)
ExBrightonBell Mon 25-Feb-13 16:41:33

So, I met up with my NCT group yesterday and discovered that I am the only one who is "still" breastfeeding on demand during the day. Our babies are all between 7 1/2 and 9 months old. The ones who are bf are feeding morning and evening (and maybe through the night, I don't know the details), but during the day their babies are having formula or water with meals.

They all seem very keen to stop bf completely and I felt like a complete freak when I sat and bf my ds after lunch! One of them even asked me how I had the time to bf as well as doing meals during the day.

Is it really so unusual to still be feeding on demand during the day at 7 1/2 months? I also don't really care about cutting down on the number of feeds either.

My ds is a bit rubbish at drinking water from a cup, although he is getting better. But there's no way at the moment that he would be getting enough hydration without bf-ing as well.

I suppose I'm just asking for opinions on whether I'm really that out of step with other people?

Our group range from 9 - 11 months and of the 6 of us 3 are breastfeeding - so you aren't alone I promise!

pnin Tue 26-Feb-13 15:51:11

Fed first on demand for 2 years, then nightweaned, and continued until 3 years, tandemed a bit, feeding second on demand day and night at 20 months

Don't do nct and never much discussed the procedurals with other patents but sussed I was not average

Oh, and I like sports cars, red meat and evidence based medicine

Startail Tue 26-Feb-13 15:56:26

Just search extended BFing and you will find many of us who BF for years rather than months and no woven lentils.

DD2 was far more likely to have, MacDonald's, fruit shots or Gregg's sausage rolls for lunch and breast milk for supper grin

Startail Tue 26-Feb-13 16:00:16

pinin red meat, sports cars, evidenced based medicine and I dare not step on to a vaccination, real nappy or homeopathy thread.

I do confess DD2 was born at home, which might be a teeny bit lentil weaverish.

Lamazeroo Tue 26-Feb-13 16:00:44

My nearly 17 month old breastfeeds in demand throughout the day and night. I counted the feeds in a 24 hour period last week - on a randomly chosen day he fed 16 times! They're all different.

13m and still counting.

WinterMymble Tue 26-Feb-13 16:07:57

Oh OP I sympathise! My nct friends are the sane. Personally I felt much happier once I went along to la Leche groups. I found a whole lot if brilliant women who are breastfeeding longer and it has been really encouraging. I don't know if you have any if those groups near you but if so do go - ours are free. It made such a difference to me to be around people with sane approach, as well as keeping in touch with NCT group.

ExBrightonBell Tue 26-Feb-13 16:08:20

flipflops, your group sounds v similar to mine.

I'm also doing BLW which puts me in another minority. I find it puzzling as I thought that the "food is for fun before one" message was quite well known (as in food is an addition to main nutrition coming from breastmilk [or formula]). Yet most of my group have been really focused on getting a large volume of food into their babies as soon as possible. One or two of them also seemed to think that this would help with sleep, which I thought was quite a debunked myth.

I've been concentrating on introducing as many flavours and textures as I can, and letting my ds explore food however he likes. As it happens he really likes eating and is consuming quite a lot, but entirely at his pace not mine. I'm totally not stressed about making sure he has three meals a day plus puddings!

WinterMymble Tue 26-Feb-13 16:09:45

Iphone typo - Sane approach = same approach!

flipflopson5thavenue Tue 26-Feb-13 18:31:41

ExBrightonBell - I was surprised that I was the only one doing BLW. They would ask me if he's on solids yet and I'd sort of say, wel, not really.. and they'd look mildly horrified when I said I was letting him feed himself and so he wasn't get much yet.

Our BLW has got off to a faltering start but he hasn't seemed any more hungry yet. Keep repeating the "food for fun..." message to myself when I worry that he's not eating more yet.

EauRouge Tue 26-Feb-13 18:41:31

ExB, you are doing nothing wrong, it sounds as if everything is fine. Maybe you'd feel more confident if you had some other friends with things in common? LLL groups are a good place to find like-minded parents.

You are not extreme at all, I'm tandeming a 4yo and a 2yo (as of tomorrow!). And I'm also a meat-eating petrolhead <high fives pnin> All sorts of people BF older babies and toddlers. You'll find some, don't worry.

ExBrightonBell Tue 26-Feb-13 18:47:18

There is a LLL meeting in my town, but I'm a bit of a scaredy cat about going! I worry that it might be clique-y and no one will talk to me!

I should be brave and give it a go :-)

I do like my NCT friends btw, it's just these occasional differences that make me feel a little 'unusual' smile

Nicolaeus Tue 26-Feb-13 18:57:08

I BF on demand until 6 months when I went back to work.

Fed morning, evening and night until night-weaned at 13 months.

DS is now 17 months and still BF in the evening and shows NO sign of wanting to stop. Its not a disaster if Im not there though as he'll drink formula.

I just want to stop before I get pregnant again though I have no will power to refuse him!

EauRouge Tue 26-Feb-13 18:58:33

Nah, they are not cliquey at all and they usually have cake. I've met some lovely cake people at LLL meetings.

McBaby Tue 26-Feb-13 19:23:50

Glad there ate others out there. Some of my friends are making me feel a bit wierd for still feeding at 6.5 months! Like there is a bf for 6 month limit.

WinterMymble Tue 26-Feb-13 19:40:39

ExBrughtonBelle same here! I am blw and adore it, so brilliant and really persuasive research, as well as dd loving it - but all my NCT friends are embroiled in purée! Again LLL helped me find others blw-ers to chat to

OP LLL not at all cliquey IME. And free biscuits! Usually hearty chocolate ones to fortify our breastfeeding labours ;)

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Tue 26-Feb-13 19:48:11

I'm still demand feeding my 14 month old. His demand usually involves a hand down my top smile

pnin Tue 26-Feb-13 20:09:21

Yes, to be honest I get more raised eyebrows over blw and me not owning pram and squeezing children in a two-door sports car...

There are enough bfeeders of older toddlers round our way to make it seem relatively normal.

Where I had my first (asia) it was definitely unusual

MorphandChas Tue 26-Feb-13 20:21:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loislane78 Tue 26-Feb-13 20:47:28

Know what you mean; 6 months seems like the cut-off for a lot of people and some in my NCT are moving to FF now as they've reached this goalpost. I think its partly how the guidelines are written.

I can understand it; its an achievement to have got to 6 mo and some people want their body/clothes back. They might be going back to work (or planning it) or just want to share feeding as it can be intense. I didn't especially have issues but it's the easiest it's ever been nowat 6.5 mo so we're feeding on. I gave a bottle (expressed milk) earlier so DD will get used to taking off other people when i'm not around on noght out and what a hassle!!

nethunsreject Tue 26-Feb-13 20:58:16

I'm still bfing a 2 year old. 7.5 months? Amateur wink wink . Seriously, you're doing grand. Different strokes etc.

Nicolaeus Wed 27-Feb-13 06:28:05

I never talk about BF anymore as I dont know anyone who BF past 6 months (apart from my mum but I've even gone past her 15 months).

I Live in France where BF isnt very common and definitely not past 3 months so people thought I was strange to sti be doing it at 6 months.

Just the other day a friend said I cant possibly have milk with just one feed a day. i assured her I can and do but she wasn't convinced..,

Iggly Wed 27-Feb-13 06:53:22

I bf ds until about 26 months. Dd is 15 months and still going - she's dairy and soya intolerant so I'm not stopping until she weans or turns 2.

Some people bf secretly, some people feel pressured into FF (I remember my NCT group basically bullied one of our mums to give a bottle of formula and cheered when she did. I stopped seeing them after that)

Iggly Wed 27-Feb-13 06:54:39

Also what's the big deal about BLW! It's just letting a baby feed themselves?! Much better IMO.

Iggly Wed 27-Feb-13 06:54:58

Also what's the big deal about BLW! It's just letting a baby feed themselves?! Much better IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now