Worrying!!

(6 Posts)
abi2790 Thu 21-Feb-13 02:10:40

Hi everyone. I've been panicking for the past couple of days that my baby might be dehydrated. His nappies aren't soaking wet like they have been.. They're not dry but they don't feel heavy either. He has no other signs of dehydration but I can't help worrying. My gp's office are totally useless (they've been terrible with him over different issues) which is why I haven't taken him yet. He's gaining weight brilliantly. He's 11 weeks old, was 7lbs15 when born and was 14lbs10 last week! What should I do?

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Thu 21-Feb-13 03:06:49

I would say not to worry. If his soft spot isn't depressed and his skin isn't papery it may well be that he's just entered a phase of not peeing quite so much.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 21-Feb-13 03:12:07

I bet you're fine. He's gaining weight nicely, he's still producing wet nappies, it'll just be a physiological change. It would be very, very unlikely, if everything's been going smoothly, that he's suddenly dehydrated in the absence of anything else changing.

Stupid question, maybe, but also have you just gone up a size in nappies recently? That always makes a difference to mine.

abi2790 Thu 21-Feb-13 06:25:04

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that he's been going through a "nursing strike" in the day. He cries when I put him near my boob! This has been going on for over a week though and he does seem content after the feeds that he does have.

tiktok Thu 21-Feb-13 10:05:59

abi, thriving 11 week olds show clear symptoms of being dehydrated - they are clearly ill, and you would recognise this.

For the 'strike', keep him skin to skin/close to you for as much of the day and night as you can, and offer the breast when he seems vaguely interested....or when he seems dozy. No struggles and don't fight him. Call a breastfeedng helpline for more support and ideas - it's not an uncommon question smile

abi2790 Thu 21-Feb-13 10:30:54

Thanks tiktok I feel much better now smile I will try to get to my local bf support group on monday and see what they say about this strike.. It's driving me mad haha. He seems fine at night time it's just the daytime we have problems with sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now