Newborn, lots of poo, not much wee

(8 Posts)
Twattybollocks Fri 01-Feb-13 21:31:13

My baby was born Wednesday tea time, she has been feeding regularly and seemingly well approx 2 hourly. She didn't wee until lunchtime thursday and didn't poo until 6pm on Thursday. Since then she has done 6 more big poos, now turning dark chocolate from black, but she has only weed twice today, my milk is coming in now, she is sucking well and swallowing lots apparently, and I seem to have plenty of milk. Should I be worried about the lack of wee or since the poo is plentiful and she is alert and doesn't seem dehydrated, just give it a little longer?

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 01-Feb-13 22:38:02

I was convinced that DD hadn't weed for 48 hours since we had been discharged and was so concerned that I called the on-duty MW and had someone over to check her out. The MW said she was absolutely fine and if she was feeding well and really hadn't weed in that long then she would be screaming in agony instead of peacefully sleeping blush

Signs of dehydration in babies:

- dry skin or lips
- a sunken fontanelle (the soft spot on the top of your baby’s head)
- fewer wet nappies than usual
- sunken eyes
- tearless crying
- dark yellow urine
- lethargy and drowsiness
- rapid breathing
- cold and blotchy-looking hands and feet

Full article here.

Also, both Pampers and Huggies nappies for newborns have yellow stripes down the front that turn blue when they come into contact with urine, so if you're using those brands that is what to watch for.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 01-Feb-13 22:38:26

Oh and congratulations grin

jkklpu Fri 01-Feb-13 22:38:53

Congratulations, first of all. Sounds as though you're doing really well. It's pretty hard to tell when a newborn has weed in a nappy. What makes you so sure that she hasn't been?

my dd was the same op, really concerned me but she was fine, the huggies/pampers stripe saved my sanity, and she is peeing loads now at 6wks

poshme Fri 01-Feb-13 22:43:58

When in hospital they weren't sure if DD was weeing, they put a cotton wool ball in her nappy- it doesn't hurt them, and is obvious when its wet.

Twattybollocks Sat 02-Feb-13 02:30:56

Well that's sorted that question, she has now weed x3 and pood a further 8 times since I asked the question. I think we can safely say she is getting enough milk. Now I just need to persuade her to stop feeding and go to sleep.

that's always the way! hope she gets to sleep for yousmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now