Day 7 Severe pain and bleeding please help

(35 Posts)
SilverSixpence Wed 30-Jan-13 10:59:13

I have been really struggling with pain and bleeding for the past 3-4 days. I had similar with DS as a newborn but it seemed to resolve more quickly, this time there is no sign of improvement and I am finding it quite upsetting sad

I have read other threads on similar problems, mw checked latch and says its ok but that she creeps off during the feed and needs repositioning which I have been doing. I am using Lansinoh and gelonet. The last 24 hours were so unbearable that I have started using nipple shields which help but I'm still bleeding at the beginning of each feed.

I will be seeing the breastfeeding counsellor tomorrow but what should I be doing until then? How long is it likely to hurt this much? Any positive stories? I bf DS for 11 months and want to do the same again.

SilverSixpence Sat 02-Feb-13 23:06:04

No problem smile

amazingmumof6 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:18:43

excellent progress I say!

my DD took 6 weeks to get back to her birth weight, having dropped all the way down to 0.4th centile! (was born 8lb 3)

she was on 50th centile at 8 months, so all good

is too stalker-y to ask if you'd give her some big kisses from me? grin

all the best!

SilverSixpence Sat 02-Feb-13 19:35:50

We're ok, I've stopped using nipple shields and its still painful but nowhere near what it was like before, and the bleeding has stopped. My breasts seem to be less full after feeds so I think she is getting more milk.

She's not regained her birthweight yet so the midwives want to see her
again in a week but they aren't too worried.

All in all I think we're getting there! I'm glad we didn't wait for the NHS referral.

amazingmumof6 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:54:35

agree with Mcbaby

how are you today?

McBaby Fri 01-Feb-13 21:35:59

Glad it went well and you have some relief. Just be cautios they can reform as part healing process so if it looks like it or gets painful again then see someone again.

SilverSixpence Fri 01-Feb-13 20:34:10

Thanks again you've all been a great support in the past few days!

crikeybadger Fri 01-Feb-13 19:14:23

Fantastic news Silver grin

amazingmumof6 Fri 01-Feb-13 17:37:50

yay! well done you, very happy for you that it's sorted!

I hope your poor boobies will heal quickly and bf will now be a dream!

if she looses the latch a few times or not on properly, just put her back on again. she'll learn it soon!

well done!

SilverSixpence Fri 01-Feb-13 16:50:35

Just to update, the tongue tie has been cut, and we had a much less painful feed immediately afterwards. We had it done at Ann's clinic (held in the bar of a community centre!) near king's cross. Ann was really helpful and answered all our questions, diagnosed an 80% tongue tie and then snipped it. I couldn't watch but it was over very quickly and she stopped crying as soon as she was on the breast.

amazingmumof6 Fri 01-Feb-13 12:05:09

I woke up at 7am, my first thought was I wonder how your night was! (am I weird?)

DH is a hero! good you feel better!

SilverSixpence Fri 01-Feb-13 11:10:38

Thanks amazingmum we are doing better today as DH had bright idea of putting her in sling last night and she finally got to sleep and gave me a chance to sleep!

amazingmumof6 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:27:03

ooh, get some earplugs to "numb" the crying! always helps me to not get too wound up.

amazingmumof6 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:24:38

sweetie, big hugs, not sure what to suggest!

I know she's very little, but maybe you could try it from a syringe (like the one comes from nurofen or drip it from a spoon?

I do wish I could be there and do something, even if it's just taking her for a walk so you can have a nap.

I really think some co-codamol would do you good temporarily (as you are a doc, you know all about it)

big big hugs thanks at least you know it's not you and that it will be sorted, hope fully very soon! xx

SilverSixpence Thu 31-Jan-13 21:18:37

Well I probably could do it as I'm a doctor! But not a surgeon and couldn't do it to my own baby smile

We've had a difficult time this evening, constant feeding or crying
wanting feeding. The cup feeding was hopeless, she couldn't lap/sip from the cup as advised and got very upset. Ive also got some kind of a throat/chest infection, and Ann hasn't contacted me back with an appointment!

Hopefully things will be different in 24 hours...

amazingmumof6 Thu 31-Jan-13 19:14:52

are you very tempted to do it with a pair of scissors? I was.....

I had a moment with DS5 when I thought, for crying out loud, it's just a piece of skin, midwives used to just rip the skin with their little finger nail, why do I have to pay for this?????
I should just do it, sod it, it will be fine! and if I screw it up it's an emergency and will be free anyway.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I resisted the urge. proud to be a responsible parent.

just pay for it, but keep the receipt, she can pay you back from her first paycheck!grin grin

SilverSixpence Thu 31-Jan-13 18:26:29

Dont think the local hospital offers it our nearest is kings and wouldn't get it done sooner. We're fortunate to be able to afford to do it privately but find it frustrating esp as I work for the NHS!

crikeybadger Thu 31-Jan-13 17:43:52

Ann Dobson has been mentioned positively on here before and it's good that she can do it tomorrow.

Hope it goes well.

amazingmumof6 Thu 31-Jan-13 17:34:24

can you call your hospital where your baby was born?

we had it done there, it's the same guy doing the private and NHS appointments, BUT NHS waiting list is up top 3 weeks!!!!!

and what crikey said

SilverSixpence Thu 31-Jan-13 17:11:10

I've called around and found one (Ann Dobson) who can do it tomorrow! It's expensive but will be worth it if it sorts it all out.

Privately in hospital clinic it's now around £450! Nhs clinic said it could be done as soon as a week from now but could be up to 12 days so think I will just get it done.

SilverSixpence Thu 31-Jan-13 17:07:16

I've called around and found one (Ann Dobson) who can do it tomorrow! It's expensive but will be worth it if it sorts it all out.

Privately in hospital clinic it's now around £450! Nhs clinic said it could be done as soon as a week from now but could be up to 12 days so think I will just get it done.

crikeybadger Thu 31-Jan-13 17:01:47

Good that you've got a definite diagnosis silver but that's appalling you have to wait so long.

You could look for a private lactation consultant as some of them are qualified to snip tongue ties.

SilverSixpence Thu 31-Jan-13 15:43:43

just had a look at DS's tongue, he also looks like he has tongue tie as does DH! but I managed to persevere through the pain. DD's is much worse though.

I'm trying to find a private clinic as I don't think i can wait 2 weeks.

SilverSixpence Thu 31-Jan-13 15:09:39

I've been to the clinic and she has got tongue tie. Thank you all for suggesting it as I wouldn't have even considered it otherwise. I am really upset that they are making me go back in a week before they will refer (those are guidelines from king's). After that it's another six days. I really feel its too long to wait in this much pain sad i haven't expressed and cup fed yet which is what they also suggested but it just seems an unnecessary delay.

Notquiteinsane Thu 31-Jan-13 14:13:22

My DS needed it done twice as the 1st time it grew back (this is really rare, so don't worry) and although it wasn't fun, it was so worth a few seconds of tears! And as others have said, it is the fussing and fiddling not the snipping that causes the grumps. The skin they cut is similar your earlobe in the sense that it has little to no nerves.
Interested to read about the numbing wad...poor DS didn't have any of that, he just needed to be really hungry, to make sure he wanted to feed enthusiastically afterwards as this is what stops the bleeding. And it was done in a church hall...eek it sounds so awful writing that, but the lady that did it runs her whole clinic like that. The point I'm trying to make is that it is a minor enough thing that it can be done just like that! Was totally legit, please don't get the wrong idea!! smile
And my DH was not particularly helpful about it all either, I just went by myself to avoid having 2 people to look after. No comment!

ilovecolinfirth Thu 31-Jan-13 13:44:08

Yes, really quick procedure. It took seconds and my son cried for less than 5 seconds and fell fast asleep straight away! Not only does it help with breastfeeding, but every child has a right to lick ice cream and stick his/her tongue out at their parents smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now