Day 7 Severe pain and bleeding please help

(35 Posts)
SilverSixpence Wed 30-Jan-13 10:59:13

I have been really struggling with pain and bleeding for the past 3-4 days. I had similar with DS as a newborn but it seemed to resolve more quickly, this time there is no sign of improvement and I am finding it quite upsetting sad

I have read other threads on similar problems, mw checked latch and says its ok but that she creeps off during the feed and needs repositioning which I have been doing. I am using Lansinoh and gelonet. The last 24 hours were so unbearable that I have started using nipple shields which help but I'm still bleeding at the beginning of each feed.

I will be seeing the breastfeeding counsellor tomorrow but what should I be doing until then? How long is it likely to hurt this much? Any positive stories? I bf DS for 11 months and want to do the same again.

amazingmumof6 Fri 01-Feb-13 12:05:09

I woke up at 7am, my first thought was I wonder how your night was! (am I weird?)

DH is a hero! good you feel better!

SilverSixpence Fri 01-Feb-13 16:50:35

Just to update, the tongue tie has been cut, and we had a much less painful feed immediately afterwards. We had it done at Ann's clinic (held in the bar of a community centre!) near king's cross. Ann was really helpful and answered all our questions, diagnosed an 80% tongue tie and then snipped it. I couldn't watch but it was over very quickly and she stopped crying as soon as she was on the breast.

amazingmumof6 Fri 01-Feb-13 17:37:50

yay! well done you, very happy for you that it's sorted!

I hope your poor boobies will heal quickly and bf will now be a dream!

if she looses the latch a few times or not on properly, just put her back on again. she'll learn it soon!

well done!

crikeybadger Fri 01-Feb-13 19:14:23

Fantastic news Silver grin

SilverSixpence Fri 01-Feb-13 20:34:10

Thanks again you've all been a great support in the past few days!

McBaby Fri 01-Feb-13 21:35:59

Glad it went well and you have some relief. Just be cautios they can reform as part healing process so if it looks like it or gets painful again then see someone again.

amazingmumof6 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:54:35

agree with Mcbaby

how are you today?

SilverSixpence Sat 02-Feb-13 19:35:50

We're ok, I've stopped using nipple shields and its still painful but nowhere near what it was like before, and the bleeding has stopped. My breasts seem to be less full after feeds so I think she is getting more milk.

She's not regained her birthweight yet so the midwives want to see her
again in a week but they aren't too worried.

All in all I think we're getting there! I'm glad we didn't wait for the NHS referral.

amazingmumof6 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:18:43

excellent progress I say!

my DD took 6 weeks to get back to her birth weight, having dropped all the way down to 0.4th centile! (was born 8lb 3)

she was on 50th centile at 8 months, so all good

is too stalker-y to ask if you'd give her some big kisses from me? grin

all the best!

SilverSixpence Sat 02-Feb-13 23:06:04

No problem smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now