Is it worth buying a breastfeeding pillow?

(37 Posts)
octanegirl Wed 02-Jan-13 20:38:19

I'm due in a week or so with DC1 and wondering whether or not to buy a special pillow/cushion?
If so which ones are good? I've seen V shaped ones, squared off ones.....allsorts.
I guess anything that helps with breastfeeding is good but am a total novice so am relying on your wise advice ladies!

LarkinSky Fri 04-Jan-13 10:35:12

And another use - I can put the Boppy on my lap, then comfortably breastfeed DD at the dinner table while I eat with the rest of the family. I use it for putting DD in far more than a baby chair/bouncer at the moment.

SolomanDaisy Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40:06

Definitely get one, someone bought me one when DS was a few days old and I couldn't believe how much easier it made feeding! I had a c shaped one.

needsadviceplease Fri 04-Jan-13 10:49:41

I thought they were ridiculous and screwing money out of unsuspecting pregnant women, when I was a pregnant woman. Ho ho ho. Never managed comfortably with a stack of normal pillows (and carting three pillows around the house was not much fun either) and at 2wo got a widgey - brilliant. Didn't use it for long at all (maybe to 8wo at a push) but have had some use out of it for DS to sit in etc and it was such a godsend that it was still worth it.

I'd maybe buy one and not unwrap it til you've tried with normal pillows, though - some women clearly are totally fine without so you could return it if you turn out to be one of them!

MousyMouse Fri 04-Jan-13 10:53:08

absolutely. had a widgey u-shaped one. without it I got very tense in my shoulders from holding baby with the arm and I could easily read or mn with it as had both arms free

BettyandDon Fri 04-Jan-13 12:06:45

Spent £30 on one from mothercare. Used it for a few days only whilst establishing BF. Complete waste of money and currently cluttering our tiny flat.

Not as much of a waste as my breast pump though. £70 and used a few times. I'm not BF anymore so it's completely redundant.

Gutted for my bank accounthmm

notcitrus Fri 04-Jan-13 12:21:01

Never used my fat or thin v shaped pillows, as normal pillows were five to lean on, but I couldn't get ds up to the right height with normal or v pillows as he'd roll down the slope where they met my body.
So after a week bfing at the computer so the desk held pillows in place, I got a My Brest Friend, or the mummy shelf as it's called round here. Enabled one handed feeding as I need to hold a breast with my hand to point it in the right direction.

leedy Fri 04-Jan-13 13:10:37

Another fan of the My Brest Friend (and heh, like the idea of it being a "mummy shelf") - allows for one handed feeding, nice and firm, baby doesn't end up rolling towards me, and also props baby at just the right height. I have a very long torso and often end up in really uncomfortable positions trying to hoist DS in the vague direction of boobs. I can manage with a pile of pillows in bed and just make do when I'm out and about, but the shelf is a godsend for most feeds.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 04-Jan-13 13:18:39

I love the Brest Friend. I think it's useful in the early days when the baby is very "floppy" and needs to be supported/ held in the right position. The real benefit of it vs other cushions is that you strap it on so you can then pick the baby up and sit down to feed rather than holding the baby and trying to arrange the cushions around you. They last forever and the sover is washable so maybe look online for a second hand one. Mine has been used by me, then two of my friends, then back to me for DC2 and then going back to one of the friends who is due her second, and is still in perfect condition

knightlydia Fri 04-Jan-13 13:19:48

i have found mine to be great and would definitely recomend one - it keeps me ion the right shape when feeding and stops my back and arms getting sore. i would say a nice firm one is essential to keep the baby at the right height. i bought a widgey from amazon and highly recommend!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 04-Jan-13 13:21:07

ps I dont ever take it out with me- I just make do - but if you have a squirmy/fussy feeder, I think a cushion like the BF does make things easier

leedy Fri 04-Jan-13 13:23:16

You can also buy spare covers for the Brest Friend (argh, ridiculous name), I got one on EBay. V handy for when one cover gets urped/explodey pooed on.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 04-Jan-13 13:38:53

Never bought one and have bf both of mine. Just bought some nursing bras and breastpads and eventually bought a 2nd hand pump, well after a few months. I do tend to only buy baby stuff as and when I need it though, if I bought too much I wouldn't have been able to stay off work for so long and we'd have a house full of even more crap smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now