milk came in & now baby wont feed, getting upset & im worried

(11 Posts)
dylsmimi Sun 09-Dec-12 09:57:41

I'm really hoping someone can help.us
Ds2 is 4 days old and has been bfeeding ok so far. He's been suffering from wind which has made him not want to feed sometimes and cries all night from it. Midwife said it could be from the antibiotics I'm having to take.
My milk came in last night and now he won't latch on at all. If my nipples in his mouth he won't suck. I'm so worried he's hungry. He's starting to get upset even going near me to feed but stops when laid on my legs.
What can I do?
I don't want to formula feed if I can help it - I fed Ds1 till 10months but never had this problem
We are all so tired

Loislane78 Sun 09-Dec-12 10:02:57

Sometimes babies have trouble latching when the breast is v full. Try expressing a bit off and see if that helps.

Loislane78 Sun 09-Dec-12 10:04:35

I meant to see if he latches easier not to bottle/syringe feed

ImNotCute Sun 09-Dec-12 10:08:58

Yes, agree with above advice to express a bit off before putting him on. If you're really full it's suddenly a bit indifferent for him to feed, I'm sure you can get over it though. If either of you is getting distressed have a break then try again later.

ImNotCute Sun 09-Dec-12 10:09:50

Not sure why my iPhone changed different to indifferent, odd ....

dylsmimi Sun 09-Dec-12 11:37:59

Ok Will try that. He finally calmed enough to have some from the.right which is smaller anyway. I'll dig the old breast pump out even though I found it hard to use.
I'm just worried he won't eat at all and end up getting upset everytime he's near me sad
Will have a shower, a deep breathe and try later
He appears to be noctornal so that's not helping anyone either!

RedKites Sun 09-Dec-12 12:01:53

It's good he's feeding now but if you have any concerns, do contact your midwife. This happened to me when DS1 was born (although he also hadn't been feeding brilliantly before my milk came in). I ended up cupfeeding him EBM for a couple of days. Something I learnt about later which might have been useful is reverse pressure softening. This can make it easier for baby to latch on if the mum is engorged so might be worth looking into, especially if one side is still causing issues.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 09-Dec-12 12:06:34

You may find it easier to hand express, if the pump wasn't good for you.

ThreeWheelsGood Sun 09-Dec-12 12:54:38

This happened to me - I had no idea what to do and eventually a midwife helped me hands-on. needed to hand express to make sure there was enough soft tissue around the nipple so she could latch on properly, and obviously make sure the latch was deep enough.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Sun 09-Dec-12 13:56:49

Have your tried squishing your boob with one hand so it makes a sort of sandwich shape? Makes the latch easier. Might help

dylsmimi Sun 09-Dec-12 15:01:48

Thanks everyone! It's nice just knowing its not just me! sad
I'm tired and sore and he is so unsettled at night that its hard to think straight and be rational!
I will try all those tips - thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now