Baby vomit question

(5 Posts)
delilah88 Thu 15-Nov-12 16:01:37

Hello,
My baby (3 weeks old) just vomited quite a lot of white, milky liquid -- enough to cover my front. She seemed shocked afterwards but then had a warm rest on my front and afterwards fed again. Now she's asleep, though I held her upright for a long time before putting her in her basket. Is this ok? Should I call the doctor? Do all babies sometimes vomit up their feed? It's the first time she's done it. Thanks

My bf dd2 did this every day, until she was 3 or 4 weeks. It then stopped, thank goodness! (she's now nearly 4 months). I think what you've described is totally normal. I was told that when babies are tiny, their oesophagus is straight, so it's easy for milk to just come straight back up. As they get older, it develops a curve. Keeping your baby propped up for a bit after a feed should help.

Mine did this every day (and still does it at least 2 or 3 times a week aged 7 months) when he was tiny. But, mine does suffer from quite bad reflux.

Don't worry about it. Proper 'vomit' will smell bad, as it's half-digested. If she throws up an entire feed several feeds in a row, call the doctor, but otherwise don't panic.

Also, try filling a cup/bottle with milk and spilling it on something (like a towel). That will give you a good idea of whether or not she's actually throwing up a whole feed, it can look a lot more than it actually is.

ZuleikaD Thu 15-Nov-12 17:05:18

Mine did this every feed in varying amounts until she was about 6 months. Wasn't reflux, she was just a posseter. It's perfectly normal. Most babies are 'happy sickers' but keep an eye on whether she sometimes appears to be in pain afterwards, which may mean reflux.

Pancakeflipper Thu 15-Nov-12 17:13:46

My DS2 used to bring back what seemed like the majority of his feeds. I fed him in a shroud of towels. We didn't go out much. It's pretty normal. If it continues speak to your HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now