Is it possible for baby to feed within 10 minutes?

(12 Posts)
snowchick1977 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:34:46

Hi

I was wondering if it was possible to have a really efficient feeder, or fast flowing milk.

My daughter is 24 days old and still not at her birth weight, although gaining steadily. She feeds for a maximum of 15 minutes on one boob and then appears satisfied. She is settled after feeding and doesnt root for the other side. I am supposed to be topping her up after every feed but she really doesnt want the extra ebm that i have pumped and it runs out of her mouth.

Is it possible that she could feed and be full within 10-15 minutes?

I strip her off, skin to skin but she isnt interested. She drains my boob totally but just doesnt want the other side. She is feeding every 2/2.5 hours

AgathaPinchBottom Tue 13-Nov-12 17:40:47

Hi snowchick, my DS was the same, he inhaled all the milk from each breast in ten minutes flat and continued to be in the 99th percentile. He's 20 months now and ENORMOUS. So I reckon, if she's a swift little drinker then its probably just fine!

Namechangeforapropertythread Tue 13-Nov-12 17:43:57

Yup. Under 5 mins here but fairly often. I'm starting to wean a bit at 11months and now find she wants to stay on longer but. its a completely new experience to me. Both my girls were on and off in a few minutes! Very fast flowing milk though and tons of it

Shybairns Tue 13-Nov-12 17:44:31

Yes I had a very fast let down. (picture milk spraying across the room!) They can feed fast and frequently.

Is she cluster feeding in the afternoon and evening?

AThingInYourLife Tue 13-Nov-12 17:47:11

Yes, it's definitely possible.

Why are you trying to top her up with EBM? confused

FadBook Tue 13-Nov-12 17:56:44

Yep. We would be done within 8 minutes and she fed approx every 2 hours.

In the early days I had a fast let down so dd became a very efficient feeder and took what she wanted quickly (because she had to really).

It's easy to compare to others when they're feeding for ages, or some have longer gaps. You've picked up on a pattern with your baby, and that's ok/normal for you.

Are there plenty of wet/poopy nappies?

TheProvincialLady Tue 13-Nov-12 18:08:02

It's possible to have a very efficient feeder or over supply so they don;t feed for long. DS2 fed for 4-5 minutes, one side only every 3 hours and put on 1 lb 4oz in one week - but he was also a bit unhappy and uncomfortable until I managed to get the oversupply sorted.

In your situation I would be inclined to seek proper real life BF support, because 24 days is a fair while to take to not quite reach birth weight (unless she was born well over her 'natural' weight, ie it was catch down growth). I'd just be concerned that she wasn't feeding quite enough to have the energy to want to feed more IYSWIM? I'm sorry if this is unnecessarily scare mongering and hopefully someon qualified will tell me I am wrong - but I woud want to have a feed or two observed by someone who knew what they were looking at.

feekerry Tue 13-Nov-12 18:32:05

Ye my dd has never fed for more than 8 mins absolute max and usually only one side. Always offer the second but often not interested. Dd was a 91st centile babe and still is at 7 months so obvious satisfed !

snowchick1977 Tue 13-Nov-12 20:11:05

Thanks all.

In answer to your questions I have seen a lactation consultant and I'm topping her up with ebm as advised by midwife and lactation lady as I had to pump to increase my supply initially.

I've only got to top her up until she regains her birthweight and I chose to do it with ebm not formula.

My daughter was the same. Took nearly four weeks to regain her birth weight. It took me over a week to establish bfing, and another two to cut out the formula top ups. She fed every 2-3 hours at the beginning and then about every 3-4 hours after that. She fed one side each feed and it took 10-15 mins max.

ShoeJunkie Tue 13-Nov-12 20:20:59

DS has always been a quick feeder - 10 minutes would not be unusual for him.

AngelDog Wed 14-Nov-12 21:28:29

4 week old DS2 is fast - mostly 5-10 mins per feed.

The feeding support lady at the hospital told me about someone she spoke to whose baby only fed for 3 mins at a time. At 6 months she was still only taking 3 mins but was still growing well. The mother found it odd as her previous 2 DC fed even faster!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now