No poo for a couple of days...

(10 Posts)
OctoberOctober Wed 14-Nov-12 01:48:24

Just logged on to see if there was any advice on constipated ff babies. DS is nearly 4 weeks and we made the move to formula at 3 weeks, winding down breast milk.

He hasn't had a poo now for 24 hours - should I be concerned? Prior to yesterday, he was doing several a day. Not sure what is considered a long time for ff baby not to poo?

otchayaniye Tue 13-Nov-12 20:34:18

ahh, not ebf. then i would definitely get it checked sooner

otchayaniye Tue 13-Nov-12 20:33:45

both mine went from several a day to 10-12 day stretches without from 6 weeks for a month or so before reverting to daily again. most disconcerting and my hv and gp were nonplussed. if it went to 14 days i was advised to turn up at a&e to check. it was only kellymum and breastfeeding sites that told me it was common

Mine was also being mix-fed at that stage too. Maybe try a different formula, what are you using at the moment?

You won't be wasting the doctors time.

You could also try using a warm and wet flannel to gently rub baby's anus (do not stick it in!!), this sometimes help move things along. Lots of nappy free time (mine generally only poos when he has no nappy on!), as soon as he's waking up from a nap, whip his nappy off, keep his vest on to keep him warm, just hoik it up a bit, lay him on an old towel and let him wriggle for a while. You could put a warm, wet flannel over his belly too, and give his stomach a rub. We have three towels that we use only for nappy-free time.

Should have been clearer, ds is not ebf - I mix feed, although he only gets the odd top up with formula. So in any 24 hour period I reckon he has a maximum of 4oz/120ml spread over the day and some days only has an oz or two. I guess this changes things as I don't think ff babies are meant to go long without a dirty nappy - is this right?

We're getting loads of wet nappies and he's growing and healthy (haven't had him weighed for a bit, we're going this week.) However, he's definitely not happy - lots of screaming and writhing around. I've been using infacol which I thought was working until yesterday - and massaging his stomach which produces some evil farts but doesn't seem to help long term. Ciccolina how much sugar/water would you give?

I'm tempted to take him to the doctor but don't want to waste their time.

LaCiccolina Tue 13-Nov-12 08:35:53

Dd went for the longest point 14 days. It's ok so long as not plainly uncomfortable. If seems so try brown sugar in a bit of warm water. Works well

tiktok Tue 13-Nov-12 08:33:44

If everything else is fine - frequent feeding, happy baby, active, not sleeping l.....o.....n....g hours, weight gain normal - then this is probably normal for your baby, crazyhorse, but do discuss with HV.

Mine used to go for days (I mean up to 10 days!) at a time without pooing. It just means they are using every last bit of your milk. As long as you are still getting plenty of wet nappies, don't worry. Give gentle tummy massages and warm baths if you think he is a bit bunged up and in pain.

Some babies can go two weeks! If he still hasn't pooed by day 15, I would take him to the doctor.

anothertiredmum Mon 12-Nov-12 21:44:13

Hi! My baby is 3 weeks old and she is not having 3/4 per 24 hours... I would say maybe 2.... and some wet ones

Ds hasn't had a dirty nappy for 3 days - now I know bf babies can go a while without, but Ds is only 3 weeks old, should he still be having 3/4 dirty nappies per 24 hours?

What should I do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now