Does my poor sore boob need attention?

(8 Posts)

This weekend I spent two days and one night away from my two nurslings. I only really feed them on one side now so the other side was fine but the in use side was very engorged by the end of the weekend and I was feeling pretty crappy though not sure whether that was the beginning of mastitis or just lack of sleep.

I hand expressed what I could on Saturday night and Sunday morning. I might have been a bit rough blush I just needed to get as much milk out as possible as quickly as possible.

Got home last night and gave milk to happy children. We're now back to business as usual but today my boob is a bit tender here and there and my nipple feels a bit burny.

Is this likely to be something that's going to get worse and needs attention or will it get better if I just give the poor thing a rest from being mauled? Might put some Lansinoh on later, I've had a tube since I was pg with DD (4 years ago) and don't think I've ever used it beyond the first couple of days in hospital with her.

scrivette Mon 05-Nov-12 19:21:23

It sounds to me as if you may have a blocked milk duct. The best way to clear it is to feed as much as you can. Failing that, lots of expressing. I found that having a very hot bath/shower helped (using the hot water from the shower head to massage). Also, with a wide toothed comb brushing towards the nipple.

Hope you manage to clear it.

It's worth being aware of the signs of mastitis though, if you look on Kellymom there is information there.

Thanks smile I'm pretty sure it's not a blocked duct as I've had one before and the pain is different and there are no lumps etc. Think I might just have bruised it a bit as tenderness seems a bit better. Nipple is still sore/burny though sad

blushingmare Tue 06-Nov-12 03:46:10

Might it be a milk blister? Don't have the link, but there's good info on KellyMom about it. I had one last week and had a sore burning nipple as you describe. Solved it by soaking nipple with hot flannel and then feeding straight away - pain reduced immediately after this although it's taken about a week to be entirely pain free.

Good luck - nipple pain sucks angry

KnockedUpMell Tue 06-Nov-12 04:36:12

I agree milk blister is a possibility. I got nipple pain and breast pain during and after feeds till it was gone. I used a needle to scrape the overgrowing skin off. Bf was pain free 2 days later.

Thanks - don't think it's a blister either. This morning I noticed that the skin around the bottom of my nipple is broken/cracked - not sure whether DS's teeth have been rubbing too. Have applied Lansinoh and going to try to dissuade them from nursing as much as possible ...

Whirliwig72 Wed 07-Nov-12 11:00:52

Hmmm the burning sensation makes me suspect thrush esp as you have nipple damage but no lump in the breast (like you tend to get with a blocked duct or mastitis). You can treat thrush yourself by taking grapefruit seed extract diluted in water and by avoiding sugar. Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers smile Has all healed up now with the occasional halfhearted application of Lansinoh (BBE 2010 - oops) so I think it was just the raw flesh being rubbed causing the pain. I just didn't know engorgement could cause nipple trauma!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now