Not sure I can carry on with breastfeeding

(102 Posts)
PollyIndia Thu 25-Oct-12 08:18:05

It is getting more not less painful to the point that I cry each time we feed. I have had a multitude of advice on the latch but never seems to help. My nipples are cracked and bleeding and getting worse. I do not want to give up, but I am at my wits end. He is only 2 weeks old. I had mastitis last 2 days which didn't help. I a pumping the right today and will give him the milk in a bottle to give the nipple a break.

Could nipple shields be worth a try? This is worse than labour!!

PollyIndia Thu 01-Nov-12 11:49:11

Well my nipples have healed up with the expressing and different latch, and he has gained lots of weight. We are not out of the woods yet as the vasospasm still causes me pain, but I am not convinced he needs the TT cutting if we have got this far without cutting it. Things are markedly better this week than last anyway!

OctoberOctober Thu 01-Nov-12 12:23:17

That is brilliant news! Glad you have managed to persevere and also that baby is now putting on weight smile

PollyIndia Thu 01-Nov-12 12:31:49

It is a huge relief! He is now half a lb over his birthweight at 3 weeks. So that will do. I think I will have a permanent crescent shaped scar in my right nipple to remind me of this! It still hurts, but it is more bearable. So hopefully it will continue to get better especially if I treat the vasospasm.

Hyperballad Sun 04-Nov-12 06:47:54

Hey this is great news! I'm so pleased for you that things are getting better smile

needsadviceplease Sun 04-Nov-12 07:10:22

Why would cranial osteopathy be scarier than tt revision??

OP, my DS didn't have tt (I don't think - it is something I occasionally wonder about now) but was v colicky after a fast delivery and CO really helped with this and also with managing a more comfortable latch - the latter an accidental side effect! He had three treatments in all, he really enjoyed them and the difference - physically and emotionally - was really obvious from the very first session. What the osteo said about him made a lot of sense to me.

needsadviceplease Sun 04-Nov-12 07:11:15

Oh, and so pleased you've had such an improvement! Well done.

PollyIndia Sun 04-Nov-12 13:11:27

The osteo didn't seem scary to me though not sure it did anything to help either. Also I have new blisters on the right nipple so we are not there yet. Was back to crying while feeding night before last. I might call milk matters, get a 5th opinion on this tt

MyGoldenNotebook Sun 04-Nov-12 13:41:11

Just want to say that I think you are amazing for continuing after all this! Whatever the next few days bring you should be very proud smile I really hope the pain eases soon x

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 04-Nov-12 15:48:15

Yes defo get a 5th opinion. DS TT was obvious & everyone knew he had it. Seven HCP's told me it was fine and wouldn't be causing the problems I had. They were all wrong.

Katie Fisher is worth seeing if you're in south London. Keep going. It shouldn't be this hard but is worth it in the long run.

PollyIndia Mon 05-Nov-12 05:20:00

I am north Seriouslysleepdeprived.thanks mygoldennotebook.very nice of you to say so. I don't feel amazing! I actually hate breastfeeding tonight. He has been feeding nonstop and it is so painful. I think I am done with this

funchum8am Mon 05-Nov-12 05:56:29

polly I am so sorry to hear you are going through all this. You have been incredibly strong to get this far. Whatever you decide is right for you and R. You can hardly suggest you didn't try everything to keep bfing. How is he doing in other respects?

Charliewasagoodhamster Mon 05-Nov-12 06:18:41

Hi Pollyindia, I had 11 weeks of discomfort feeding my baby with a
small tongue tie. Thankfully for me never as bad as you are experiencing but she could not latch. She was a great sucker so got enough milk her way. Sadly it wasn't until at 8 weeks I went to the health visitor and said I had to stop beast feeding that they took it seriously. I had seen a breast feeding consultant who thought tongue tie but couldn't refer to the TT consultant. I was sent to the GP who although made a referral could not make it urgent. It took a second call to the health visitor to get an urgent referral and baby was snipped within a week.
The effects were better immediately and kept improving over a week. It took a while because at 11 weeks she had to relearn her latch.
What I am trying to say is you don't need to suffer. Force your health visitor to refer you. If the feeding consultant says TT the health visitor will respect that and get an urgent referral.
Good luck.
Sorry this post is badly written, I'm feeding the same now 10 month old while she pulls my hair!

BoffinMum Mon 05-Nov-12 07:20:31

Polly, FWIW you have my permission to stop if you want to wink It's important that your baby has a happy mummy, and you frankly deserve a medal for getting this far IMO.

PollyIndia Mon 05-Nov-12 09:20:27

Thank you! Everything is much bleaker at night, isn't it! And much more painful for some reason. Funchum, everything else is perfect.

I am going to get TT checked again, and speak to doc about vasospasm then if neither help, I will switch. I just feel if I can crack it, it will be so much easier than ff. but if no better in 2 weeks, then I will switch. I admire people who go longer. 11 weeks of pain sounds like hell Charlie!

BoffinMum Mon 05-Nov-12 14:20:36

Polly, even if you decide to ff your milk keeps going for a while and regular sneaky comfort feeds are a possibility, for example a regular bedtime bf is a popular bonding thing to do for mostly ff mums. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

PollyIndia Mon 05-Nov-12 14:35:45

The thing I am scared about with introducing a ff boffinmum is that it upsets his digestive system. He is very farty but (touch wood) doesn't seem to have any other problems, and the Hv said ff babies are more likely to have colic or reflux... Not sure if that is right but feel a bit scared of rocking that particular boat! Also, my mate was successfully breastfeeding her baby with 1 expressed bottle a day (which we have been doing) then introduced formula and her baby now rejects all bottles, even of expressed milk. So she has to breastfeed until er baby weans. I am also a bit scared of that!! Plus I feel like I must be nearly at the point when it will get easier, surely (??) and then it will be way easier than ff.
That is why I am persevering... Because I am lazy basically!!

BoffinMum Mon 05-Nov-12 21:25:54

I know where you are coming from because I was also too lazy to ff! Have you tried lying back and letting him crawl over you rooting for a good latch? The technical term for that is Biological Nurturing. The DVD is very good - perhaps your local NCT or LLL might have a copy you can borrow?

Link

PollyIndia Thu 08-Nov-12 21:23:28

I did it.... I had the TT cut. She said it was much tighter than she had thought as she felt it ping and he was moving his tongue around like never before. So back to the breastfeeding cafe tomorrow to work on the new latch. Fingers crossed.

Boffin, I did try bn but he didn't seem to have much of a nose for my nipple... Ended up sucking my rib!!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 08-Nov-12 22:04:15

Well done...hope it wasn't too traumatic. DS seemed quite bemused that his tongue could suddenly move so much & was constantly poking it out! Hope things start to improve more for you now.

Did they show you the massage to prevent reattachment?

cordiality Fri 09-Nov-12 16:15:19

Have been lurking here, so glad you had the tt cut! How is feeding now, have you seen any improvement or changes?

PollyIndia Fri 09-Nov-12 18:37:07

Thanks both. No, thy didn't seriously, though she said she didn't think it would reattach as it pinged apart so strongly. Not right??
Cordiality, the left was immediately easier, the right still needs work maybe dye to existing nipple trauma. Also still have the vasospasm but hoping that will improve as the nipple trauma does. He was making the breastfeeding counsellor laugh this am by lying there with his newly long tongue out just licking the milk off the nipple for 10 mins... Odd child!!

cordiality Sat 10-Nov-12 14:11:35

Sounds like he's really enjoying testing out his new skills! Hope things continue to improve for you, don't give yourself too hard a time whatever happens, this is such a small part of childhood, there are literally thousands of ways we can ruin their lives between now and 18 years old, formula definitely isn't that bad in the great scheme of things!

funchum8am Sat 10-Nov-12 19:00:11

I hope having the tt sorted helps long term - well done for persevering and good luck with the vasospasm (what is that?)

PollyIndia Sat 10-Nov-12 20:41:31

Vasospasm Is when the nipple goes white after the feed and I have shooting pains through my boobs. Exacerbated by the cold. Not been fun!! But hoping it clears up... Thanks Funchum. How are you getting on?

Cordiality, ha, yes. I am going to reassess at 6 weeks!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 11-Nov-12 18:32:32

I had the vasospasm for a while in pregnancy. Mostly triggered by the cold & freezer section in Sainsburys...bloody killed. Plus I felt ridiculous walking around with my hands in my noobs the while time. Hope it passes.

We did massage for DS to prevent re-adhesion. It grew back anyway & I had it disrupted twice but it regrew. He was 10 weeks by this stage & we had found our feet with it all a lot more so I left it. He still has a pretty obvious TAy but I'm still feeding at 7 months no problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now