5 dayold not wanting left side and jaundice issues

(12 Posts)
bebemoo Mon 15-Aug-11 18:31:59

My nipples are large and with newborn mouths it's a problem anyhow, but we were getting on ok until the supply went into hyper drive....What more besides expressing and trying to persevere with that side? It's admittedly 'rocky' and hard because of over supply at this stage.
1st dd had similar problems tho no jaundice to worry about. When she got bigger it wasn't such an issue. But I had severely damaged nips with her too because of her tiny mouth until she had a good growth spurt...
Is there something else? can't really make my nipples any smaller for better bitty baby latching sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Aug-11 19:26:09

bebe poor you, you sound like you really are going through it.

I understand from your post that you have nipple damage. If so, I think you need RL help. Is there a Bfing Counsellor near to you or a Bfing Support Group you could go along to and ask then to check your latch and help with the nipple damage? There is a video here on how to get a good latch.

My DS refused one side at that stage too, have you tried tricking LO with the rugby hold?

I've not had any problems with oversupply so not sure what difficulties you are having but have you read this on Kellymom.

The best thing for jaundice is bfing so well done for perservering smile.

bebemoo Mon 15-Aug-11 21:03:02

Thanks.
I went to a lot of support with dd1 so I know all the tactics. It was just a matter of waiting and dealing with the trauma until dd1's mouth grew larger, fear its the same with this one, tho she's much kinder and doesn't just chomp down the second anything gets near her lips wink which makes me a much happier woman/mother.
I tried the rugby hold and even laying down with her feet at my head to see if I could get her to take it that way.
I hand expressed almost 90ml off and hoping that she'll take it when it's time to feed again...

mousymouse Mon 15-Aug-11 21:08:37

have you tried feeding lying down? or other positions?
congrats to baby and good luck!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 16-Aug-11 18:46:30

Oh bebe really hope for you sake that you can get some help and not just wait. Is there anyone locally who can help?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 08:27:50

bebe just wanted to add that I have (TMI Alert) enormous nipples too and for me it didn't cause any problems, which is why I think that it could be a good idea to get your latch checked.

Hopefully someone with more experience wil be along soon smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Aug-11 19:32:26

Just thought I'd bump this for the evening crowd to see if you get any more posts smile

bebemoo Wed 17-Aug-11 22:41:43

Thanks JJJ smile
The HV came around today and I asked her opinion on how to proceed. She said well let's see...
She popped my dd2 on in abt 2 seconds. Those ladies so annoyingly efficient wink; the relief was instantaneous. smile
Basically she said that what I was doing was fine, but to watch where the baby was positioned in my lap or beside me as because (in addition to the big nipples) I've got big breasts the baby needn't be a a pillow as it was twisting me/us and lifting her up too much.
In addition she showed me how to pinch the areola just behind the nipple to make the latch possible even when engorged. smile
She said she's often had women with large nipples/breasts in similar circumstances and have found many MW/HV don't realise how to help and give rather poor advice. sad I was very glad to have her.
Because of her advice the engorgement has eased much quicker than I expected and she said that the jaundice was not as bad (and not to be worried abt) because I was so vigilante about feeding and getting her sunlight right away. smile
She was a blessing and boosted my spirits a great deal and I told her so smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Aug-11 07:53:29

What a fantastic HV, so glad you've had someone helpful smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Aug-11 08:02:33

Thought you might like these links to a couple of articles on feeding with large breasts.

Can't remember if you go to a Bfing Support group, if you don't I can really recommend going. You usually pick up some great tips and even if you don't its nice to have a cuppa and some adult conversation.

bebemoo Thu 18-Aug-11 10:45:16

You're a star JJJ smile reading those articles was great. It was interesting to read abt the possible reasons behind some of the problems/pain I had. It'll help me be more watchful. I had dh read them too to help him relate smile

We're struggling just a little more today for some reason tho I thought we were doing it the same way, but with dh's help I got her on for our mid-night feed which was a relief. I will have to try to figure out what I'm doing different.
I'm hoping soon she'll start doing it on her own again without my intervention which makes her rather angry to be honest.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Aug-11 09:01:27

Little love. Funny how they get cross so early on isn't it. We have a rather feisty DD who we had to do BLW with as she got furious if we tried to feed her with a spoon as she wanted to do it herself.

Have had a bit more of a think and remember seeing a thread you might find helpful, here.

Hope you have a better day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now