Vote for June's (footie-themed) Book of the Month

(11 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-May-10 11:16:17

Hello. TillyBookClub's asked me to let you know that we're revving up for the World Cup with a football-themed shortlist for June's Book of the Month.

Have a look at the choices - and vote for the one that scores most highly on your must-read league table.

The poll is now open and will close at midnight on Monday 31 May

We'll get together to discuss the winner on Tuesday 29 June, 8-9.30 pm (and we'll do our best to get the winning author to pitch in - geddit? - too)

For those new to Bookclub, here is how it works.

leavingonajetplane Sat 22-May-10 19:46:00

Tony Cascarinos book utterly surprising and not really about football at all. The normal layers of reticence in an autobiography dont seem to apply. Very surprising read, good to see it on the list.

NL3 Mon 24-May-10 01:14:48

No competition - it's got to be Fever Pitch - I've read it every year just in case it might will Arsenal to glory!!!!

MummyJummy Mon 24-May-10 14:03:32

my first foray into book of the month, honestly don't mind which gets chosen,'tho gone for Nick H as could only choose one.

MrsvWoolf Fri 28-May-10 16:35:09

I would have to plump for the Cascarino book *not really* about football, as I'm not a fan of the sport.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Jun-10 16:29:04

In case you hadn't spotted it already - this month's Book Club winner is David Peace's The Damned United. It's a fictionalised account of Brian Clough's 44 tumultuous days as manager of Leeds United (you may have caught the film of it, starring Michael Sheen) and written by the author of the Red Riding series. The Independent thought it 'a mystery or an oversight, or worse, that The Damned United doesn't figure among the novels selected for this year's Man Booker.'

Coderooo Tue 01-Jun-10 16:30:34

ooih ooh
that sounds good

yUMMYmUMMYb Wed 02-Jun-10 14:42:02

just ordered the book, was hoping to get away from football in June - oh well. have heard lots of good reports about it though so fingers crossed it's a good read.

I'm back - have been away for half of half term. Apologies for not posting earlier.

Discussion night thread is here - see you on Tue 29 June.

On the case to see if David Peace is ready and willing to join us...

MayorNaze Fri 04-Jun-10 20:12:03

hmmm

but only cos i HATE football

will dutifully hop to amazon...

Selki Sat 05-Jun-10 23:31:24

Hi, This is my first foray into on-line book clubs. Stumbled onto it while looking for threads moaning about hubbies! Not really a football fan, but surely the whole point of a book club is to push yourself out of your comfort zone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now