Book of the Month: And our Geek Lit winner is... BAD SCIENCE by Ben Goldacre (discussion night Tue 30 March)

(121 Posts)

BAD SCIENCE by Ben Goldacre has grabbed the winning title of March Book of the Month with a staggering 50 votes, streaks ahead of his competitors.

We will get together to chat about the book on Tuesday 30 March, 8-9.30pm.

For those that missed it, here were the choices and the March poll results.

And for anyone new to Bookclub, here is how it works.

I'm hoping Ben may be able to join us to answer all your questions - will keep you posted.

BarryKent Wed 03-Mar-10 21:10:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nomorexcuses Sat 06-Mar-10 20:02:58

Random coincidence - I am reading this right now! Expected to hate him... bizarrely sort of don't. Can't wait for my first book club!

Birdly Mon 08-Mar-10 07:29:51

DH loves this book, and on his suggestion I'm now reading it too. I'm up to the chapter on homoeopathy (the author is not a fan!).

Bearing in mind Ben's thoughts on the beauty industry, though, I think it might be a cynical ploy on the part of DH to wean me off Clarins and onto the considerably cheaper and less hyped Hydrobase. grin

Next time I get to a chemist, I'm planning to buy myself a vat of Hydrobase to see if it really and truly is as good as Clarins. It'll be like a Proper Scientific Experiment, so I hope Mr Goldacre will approve! grin

JollyPirate Mon 08-Mar-10 07:43:53

Am waiting for my copy to arrivesmile

MaMight Thu 11-Mar-10 04:19:59

Oh brilliant. I hae just finished this. One of those books that alters how you think about things. Will follow this thread.

JollyPirate Fri 12-Mar-10 07:50:18

Am longing to see what Ben has to say about Fish Oils given that I am taking part in the MN trial (not that DS will take the stuff after just ONE dose grin and tis me forcing it down).

Finbar Wed 17-Mar-10 16:09:16

I loved this book - and can now walk past vitamins and fish oils with my head held high. Three cheers for proper science!

choosyfloosy Wed 17-Mar-10 22:54:15

Magnificent choice!

RubberDuck Thu 18-Mar-10 09:19:48

applaud

Yes please for a webchat. I heard Ben speak at TAM London last year and he was AWESOME.

franke Thu 18-Mar-10 13:03:14

I suspect the 'staggering 50 votes' came mostly from folk on the badscience.net forum who got wind of this vote when one of them came over here trolling a few weeks ago. Maybe they think that all us humanities graduate, woo-loving, anti-vax yummy mummies need educating. wink

oooh can i join in?
read this ages ago but will re read for then

butadream Thu 18-Mar-10 14:06:15

Can Ben come for a webchat please?

probonbon Thu 18-Mar-10 16:31:15

smile not only trolling, but urging others on the BS forum to come and have fun at the "mentalist" goings on. He / she was given a rough ride in both places grin. So they can't all be ghastly.

<hopeful>

Spidermama Thu 18-Mar-10 20:48:06

I'm not a fan of Goldacre. Disappointing to see his name all over MN all the time.

probonbon Fri 19-Mar-10 09:28:33

I think he's a great hero of the left. Maybe that's why.

He's brilliant, and very funny! I can see how his style might annoy, but, personally, I find it very appealing.

RunLyraRun Fri 19-Mar-10 14:16:47

Ooh very exciting if we could get BG on here for chat. I agree with almost everything he says, which is entirely unconnected to the fact that I think he's quite dishy blush

probonbon Fri 19-Mar-10 17:39:56

<boak>

GrimmaTheNome Fri 19-Mar-10 19:45:32

Birdly, it'll only be a proper experiment if you use Clarins on one half of your face and the hydrobase on the other.grin

I've not done book club before, might decide to join ...

hanaflower Fri 19-Mar-10 20:13:48

probonbon I'm right wing, and I think he's great.

pippibluestocking Fri 19-Mar-10 23:18:50

Spidermama - Are you a homeopath by any chance? What is there about BG not to like?

SchrodingersSexKitten Fri 19-Mar-10 23:37:35

franke links to both the mn thread and the one on BS, please! Can't find either
[wanders away, muttering to oneself]

franke Sat 20-Mar-10 08:38:12

Schrodinger - Wakefield thread here.. The bs thread is linked to on the Wakefield thread. I suspect the bs troll was a bs regular poster who name-changed for the purpose of coming over here - the moderator on that forum seemed un-fazed by the trolling but more interested in the book vote going on here iyswim.

probonbon Sat 20-Mar-10 16:41:12

come and troll among people with sick children you fun Bad Science guys

Franke I just did that to make it a bit easier because the thread is now 11 pages.

Thanks for linking, I looked myself but couldn't find. I note there've been more useful links added.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now