And our MARCH Book of the Month is... WHAT WAS LOST by Catherine O'Flynn (discussion 31 March 8pm-10pm)

(83 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-Feb-09 14:33:27

In a nail-biting finish, What Was Lost beat This Book Will Save Your Life by just one vote!

We'll be chatting about What Was Lost on Tuesday 31 March from 8pm to 10pm. Hope you can join us!

Don't forget you can order your copy here

And, for anyone who missed out on the vote here were March's book choices and this is how Book Club works.

DutchOma Sun 03-May-09 15:01:00

Thanks EPPM. I was a bit disappointed that my question didn't get answered, probably because I didn't ask it in the right 'format'. Never mind.
Dgd is doing fine, I have made her a dress to go to her first wedding in, she was very unimpressed when we tried it on, hope she doesn't cry all during the reception. She looks a real poppet in it though.

EachPeachPearMum Sat 02-May-09 21:37:37

Here DutchOma! (hows that new little GC doing then?)

DutchOma Tue 28-Apr-09 08:48:35

Tiillybookclub, obviously

DutchOma Tue 28-Apr-09 08:48:07

Tillybokclub, Did we ever get any answers to our questions from Catherine O'Flynn?

Molesworth Tue 07-Apr-09 00:33:09

I also thought it was one of the best novels I've read in the last few years. The first part of the book was brilliant not only for its humour (I laughed out loud on page 1), but also for the way it makes the reader love Kate, which then creates a real sense of loss throughout the rest of the book. Funny, sad, atmospheric, original. I'm also looking forward to reading the author's next book.

janeite Wed 01-Apr-09 19:09:39

I don't like either of the covers!

The first one is ugly and unhelpful; the second looks like a cheesy thriller imho.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 31-Mar-09 23:47:13

I liked the original cover actually... much more than the second, which is too stark I think IYSWIM

UnquietDad Tue 31-Mar-09 23:43:02

Missed the chat, but I did want to say how much I really enjoyed this book. I read it last year. Very well done - one of the best first novels I have read in the last decade. Looking forward to Catherine's second.

I wonder if she is really annoyed that her original publishers gave her such an AWFUL cover? here

This one - not sure if it's a reprint or an overseas edition - is much better here. Spooky hints of blurry figures on CCTV in a book about a lost child - I think we all know what that evokes...

I meant to join in too - a message for Catherine - Toby S says hello from the High St days.(It's his missus BTW) Read the book last year and loved it, as did T - in fact it's the only book I've known him finish in 9 years!

Sorry meant to join in but have been busy. I would have liked more physical description of the characters, i felt i couldn't picture them at all, especially lisa. I also thought the pace would have been better if she had jumped back and forth in time more, it was i bit slow. Otherwise i loved it.

JudithChalmers Tue 31-Mar-09 21:55:51

I cant remember now what the end was tbh.
I could onyl think of merry hill

simnel303 Tue 31-Mar-09 21:53:24

la dolchis feeta!

simnel303 Tue 31-Mar-09 21:52:42

yes, the end wasn't quite right was it. Perhaps Catherine could tell us what alternative endings she had considered before deciding on the one in the book?

JudithChalmers Tue 31-Mar-09 21:51:33

my dh used to pronounce it "Dolchis" as if it were Italiano.
nob!

EachPeachPearMum Tue 31-Mar-09 21:50:09

Oh! Can't believe I missed this... DS has been fussy all evening sad

I was saddened by the ending- it seemed like such an odd set-up.... what would he have done if she hadn't taken his bait and fallen down the hole? How would he have entombed her then?

I've got to go and attend to a sobbing babe upstairs, but anyone else with a question for the author do post here and I'll compile them all tomorrow.

Thanks everyone - I was so pleased to have discovered this book.

Looking forward to April's chat already - Middlesex is an incredible read. See you on April 28.

Can't say I was a detective but I did have an obsession with neighbours' car registrations and used to write them down and then look out for them when out and about. Not sure why!

missclovis Tue 31-Mar-09 21:39:10

I was one too. We had a secret club. I can remember being in a group of giggling 10-year-old girls following innocent members of the public who, we had decided, looked "suspicious". Also, deciding that an empty house across the field from school was haunted and spending all play time starring at it.Then everyone planning to climb out of their bedroom windows at night to go an investigate -- except nobody turned up.

simnel303 Tue 31-Mar-09 21:32:33

I was also a detective when I was about 10, hiding in the bushes of my parents house writing notes on the comings and goings, I even had a broken camera in my satchel. Perhaps Catherine did this too?

I remember first going to a shopping centre in Peterborough, aged 13 and it was like I'd entered nirvana. This book brought it all back, especially when she mentions Dolcis.

Also remember being a detective and lugging around a vast faux-leather executive briefcase with combination locks, inside which were numerous files on my sisters activities. Wish I had kept it.

I think that's partly what I loved about this book - a huge sense of recognition, whilst also being intrigued and not having a clue how it would all end.

missclovis Tue 31-Mar-09 21:26:41

Please can we ask Catherine:
Was Teresa's stepdad's liking for the hot lemon tea drink Lift and Gavin's drinking of 7Up heated up in a microwave with a tea bag dipped in it, a clue/red herring/coincidence? I need to know.

simnel303 Tue 31-Mar-09 21:21:31

Green Oaks actually reminded me of the Arndale Centre in Manchester where I spent many a bored hour as a student - I was inexplicably drawn there although I had no money to spend - maybe because there were other people to watch ,nothing else to do and it was raining outside. Did give me the creeps though.

Qu for Catherine: what gave her the inspiration for Kate's detective agency? Was it something she did as a child and did she actually come across a book like the one Kate's dad gave her?

simnel303 Tue 31-Mar-09 21:13:36

Gavin works his way up from security guard to Green Oaks CEO and makes all staff tour the service corridors at the Christmas do singing the Green Oaks appreciation song.

Any more questions for Catherine, by the way? I'm going to email them to her tomorrow and then post up the whole Q&A as soon as she emails her answers back...

My question would be: do you believe shopping centres are truly awful or are you actually quite nostalgic for/attached to them?

(cf. Adrian's comment that the countryside is dreadful and boring as there are no shops, 'just Spars that look like shops but don't sell anything except maybe some swede and a packet of custard creams'.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now