And our MARCH Book of the Month is... WHAT WAS LOST by Catherine O'Flynn (discussion 31 March 8pm-10pm)

(83 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-Feb-09 14:33:27

In a nail-biting finish, What Was Lost beat This Book Will Save Your Life by just one vote!

We'll be chatting about What Was Lost on Tuesday 31 March from 8pm to 10pm. Hope you can join us!

Don't forget you can order your copy here

And, for anyone who missed out on the vote here were March's book choices and this is how Book Club works.

UnquietDad Tue 31-Mar-09 23:43:02

Missed the chat, but I did want to say how much I really enjoyed this book. I read it last year. Very well done - one of the best first novels I have read in the last decade. Looking forward to Catherine's second.

I wonder if she is really annoyed that her original publishers gave her such an AWFUL cover? here

This one - not sure if it's a reprint or an overseas edition - is much better here. Spooky hints of blurry figures on CCTV in a book about a lost child - I think we all know what that evokes...

EachPeachPearMum Tue 31-Mar-09 23:47:13

I liked the original cover actually... much more than the second, which is too stark I think IYSWIM

janeite Wed 01-Apr-09 19:09:39

I don't like either of the covers!

The first one is ugly and unhelpful; the second looks like a cheesy thriller imho.

Molesworth Tue 07-Apr-09 00:33:09

I also thought it was one of the best novels I've read in the last few years. The first part of the book was brilliant not only for its humour (I laughed out loud on page 1), but also for the way it makes the reader love Kate, which then creates a real sense of loss throughout the rest of the book. Funny, sad, atmospheric, original. I'm also looking forward to reading the author's next book.

DutchOma Tue 28-Apr-09 08:48:07

Tillybokclub, Did we ever get any answers to our questions from Catherine O'Flynn?

DutchOma Tue 28-Apr-09 08:48:35

Tiillybookclub, obviously

EachPeachPearMum Sat 02-May-09 21:37:37

Here DutchOma! (hows that new little GC doing then?)

DutchOma Sun 03-May-09 15:01:00

Thanks EPPM. I was a bit disappointed that my question didn't get answered, probably because I didn't ask it in the right 'format'. Never mind.
Dgd is doing fine, I have made her a dress to go to her first wedding in, she was very unimpressed when we tried it on, hope she doesn't cry all during the reception. She looks a real poppet in it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now