Join AD Miller to talk about SNOWDROPS, our January Book of the Month, on Tuesday Jan 31, 9-10pm

(174 Posts)

Shortlisted for the 2011 Man Booker Prize, January's Book of the Month is a superbly chilling novel that's perfect for frozen winter days.

SNOWDROPS is set in the tawdry, corrupt underbelly of Moscow, where murder victims lie hidden in the snow until the spring thaw brings them to the surface. Nick, a high flying British lawyer, has begun a new life in the city, negotiating with oil barons, exploring the maze of streets crammed with expense-account brothels, power plants, glitzy restaurants and gridlocked traffic. His guide is the enigmatic Masha, who inexorably reels him into a morally ambiguous and self-deluded love affair.

Cool, complex and menacing, this is, as the Spectator put it 'a heady noseful of Moscow, an intoxicating perfume that will whirl you off your feet and set your moral compass spinning'.

You can find out more at our book of the month page.

Atlantic are giving 50 free copies to Mumsnetters - to claim yours, send your name and address to sarahpocklington@atlantic-books.co.uk, putting Mumsnet/Snowdrops in the Subject Bar.

And if you're not lucky enough to bag one of those, don't forget you can get your paperback or version here

We're delighted that A.D Miller will be joining us for the webchat on Tuesday 31 January, 9-10pm. Look forward to seeing you there.

Nevergarglebrandybutter Sat 04-Feb-12 11:31:43

Last night I gave up on this book having been unable to keep plodding on in time for this thread.
Jeez, it was crap.
For a start, NO likeable characters.
Yes, russia is an amazing place, i've been. and Yes it snows.
I got 2/3 of the way through and NOTHING had actually happened so I skipped to the end to find that there was no twist, just an expected ending.
Dull man goes to Moscow, meets some skanks and some corrupt businessmen and gets screwed over.
Did i miss anything?
Sorry AD Miller, it didn't do it for me.

February's bookclub up and running - hope to see you all at the end of the month

Hullygully Wed 01-Feb-12 08:59:44

Have to say that Andreivitch means Son of Andrew...so unless his father is also Andrew...

If anyone wondering what February holds in store, then keep an eye out tomorrow - I'll be posting the thread around mid-morning. Very different kettle of fish, though it does star the overtly manly and quite Russian bear-like Ernest Hemingway living in the sex-mad, louche French capital...

Hully/kumquat, longing to hear your pastiche on Jazz Age Paris...please say you'll be back.

Really enjoyed this evening. Hope to see you all at the end of Feb for the next author chat.

ADMiller Tue 31-Jan-12 22:07:26

TillyBookClub

Time is up... thanks to everyone for their excellent questions and for making this such a brilliant chat.

Andrew (or can we call you Andreivitch to distinguish from author of Pure?), thank you very very much indeed for giving us so much of your time and energy and for answering all our questions with such thoughtfulness. I can't wait to see what you do next. Good luck with it all... and many thanks once again.

Thanks Tilly and thanks everyone for your questions and comments. I think this is the best discussion of my novel that I've had.

All good things
Andreivitch

Time is up... thanks to everyone for their excellent questions and for making this such a brilliant chat.

Andrew (or can we call you Andreivitch to distinguish from author of Pure?), thank you very very much indeed for giving us so much of your time and energy and for answering all our questions with such thoughtfulness. I can't wait to see what you do next. Good luck with it all... and many thanks once again.

champagnesupernova Tue 31-Jan-12 22:04:05

Sorry, we cross posted. Thanks again for the chat and the book.
Will look out for your next one.
Dosvedanya <sp?>

Blackcabmum Tue 31-Jan-12 22:03:21

Great book, great discussion and first time on mn book club. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us. Such a positive experience I will be back.

ADMiller Tue 31-Jan-12 22:02:04

Greedygirl

oh a super quick question - what did your wife think about the way women were viewed/objectified in Russia?|

She is sitting next to me so I'll ask her.

She says it's a very chauvinist place.

Champagne etc: I did the 25k question!

Outta time, I fear: thanks for having me.

HandMadeTail Tue 31-Jan-12 22:00:46

I'm pleased I read this, as I just didn't get why nick went through with it, and didn't tell Tatiana what was going on. And now I see that actually, in a way, life isn't like that. We all do sometimes go along with things we know are wrong, and this story is an extension of that. So thank you Mr Miller and mumsnetters.

Greedygirl Tue 31-Jan-12 21:59:12

Don't worry if not enough time - I am indeed greedy. Great chat everyone.

ADMiller Tue 31-Jan-12 21:59:00

TillyBookClub

Adding to whereismywine's question, and your answer:

Were any of Nick's personality traits inspired by foreign/war correspondents that you've met through work? It seemed to me, especially at the end, when Nick is mourning his 'full' life in Russia and bemoaning his 'thin' life ahead, that he is addicted to the thrill and the messiness and the 'otherness' of it all. And that seems to be a strong tradition amongst foreign correspondent journalists too...

Hi Tilly. Yes, I met lots of expats who were a bit like Nick: lonely, allergic to home and their families (though actually I think Nick's parents are much less bad than he does), constantly behaving as if they're on a long, irresponsible holiday. And yes, journalists, too. There is a journalist in the novel in fact, who has some composite traits of various of my colleagues. No names will be named (see reference to lawyers above).

In answer to your final question. I'm working on a novel called The Faithful Couple. It's set in California and London. Hully, I promise to stay away from saunas.

southlondonlady Tue 31-Jan-12 21:58:20

Hi AD Miller, thanks for answering my question, and all the others, great discussion.

Greedygirl Tue 31-Jan-12 21:58:15

oh a super quick question - what did your wife think about the way women were viewed/objectified in Russia?|

Bellstar Tue 31-Jan-12 21:57:46

Thanks for answeing my question too!! Am going to re-read the book as would like to see if I can also see the parallels with c&P-the borthers is one of my fave books evergrin

Maybe one day I will get to russia and see if its as I have imagined it<daydreams?

All the best.

champagnesupernova Tue 31-Jan-12 21:57:23

oops. x-post blush

champagnesupernova Tue 31-Jan-12 21:56:43

oh do come to the next one teaaddict. usually good fun grin
<smilles winningly at AD in the hope of her £25k question being answered>
<thinks about phoning a friend to smile winningly toowink>

CountrySlicker Tue 31-Jan-12 21:56:28

Signing off now. Really great chat and thanks for answering mine and so many questions, great buzz to this one!

ADMiller Tue 31-Jan-12 21:55:31

champagnesupernova

Thanks Andrew (may I call you that?)
Fair enough. How annoying about the other chap. grin
Also please can you answer my question about the £25K? am going mad blush

Yes they conned him too, though he didn't really expect to get that money back, did he? I think he says somewhere that he was almost glad to pay up, since he knew there had to be a price, and it turned out to be only money.

With only five minutes left on the clock, I quickly want to ask what you're working on at the moment?

ADMiller Tue 31-Jan-12 21:53:28

Hullygully

I do hope, by the way, that you took my jesting in good part?

I'm just jealous of your success.

Hi Hully. I'm sorry you didn't like the book. I hope I've answered some of your points, if not completely to your satisfaction. Re: the sex thing: what's the point of anything, in life or in a novel? I imagine Katya was there a) for security and b) because they knew he'd like it.

And don't worry, I'm not offended: I've had worse. I had a particularly hairy time once with the mayor of Vladivostok. I thought your role play was very funny, by the way. You obviously know a lot about Russia.

Greedygirl Tue 31-Jan-12 21:52:59

Thanks for answering A.D. Miller!

Catgirl73 - yes, that is what I liked. I believe that we are all capable of horrible stuff in the right (wrong) circumstances.

Teaddict Tue 31-Jan-12 21:52:33

Thanks for answering my question Andrew, my first book in the Mumsnet bookclub (or any for that matter) and also first live web chat ever, haven't been this excited since nappies were half price in Sainsburys! New year's resolution to expand fluffy SAHM mind is on track....
Off to bed to finish Snowdrops. Good luck with your career/s.

justinpatch Tue 31-Jan-12 21:51:35

We're moving to Moscow in the summer, I have (my free) copy of Snowdrops waiting at Mum and Dad's so am following this with great interest...hoping to discover this louche, sauna fuelled way of life......

ADMiller Tue 31-Jan-12 21:47:57

Bellstar

I have been slightly/very obsessedblush with russia since I was very young. I have a completely romantic view though-all doctor zhivago.bolshoi ballet,anna karenina etc.

My question is-nick seems to be seduced by russia? is that the effect it had on you? does it still hold you in its thrall?<please please say yes and dont spoil my romantic ideal>

Since you are ask so nicely--but also since it's true--yes, definitely, though not for the same reasons as Nick. There is no resigning from Russia: it is too fascinating, too alive, too infuriating and addictive a place. I hope some of that comes through in the book, along with all the bleakness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now