Join AD Miller to talk about SNOWDROPS, our January Book of the Month, on Tuesday Jan 31, 9-10pm

(174 Posts)

Shortlisted for the 2011 Man Booker Prize, January's Book of the Month is a superbly chilling novel that's perfect for frozen winter days.

SNOWDROPS is set in the tawdry, corrupt underbelly of Moscow, where murder victims lie hidden in the snow until the spring thaw brings them to the surface. Nick, a high flying British lawyer, has begun a new life in the city, negotiating with oil barons, exploring the maze of streets crammed with expense-account brothels, power plants, glitzy restaurants and gridlocked traffic. His guide is the enigmatic Masha, who inexorably reels him into a morally ambiguous and self-deluded love affair.

Cool, complex and menacing, this is, as the Spectator put it 'a heady noseful of Moscow, an intoxicating perfume that will whirl you off your feet and set your moral compass spinning'.

You can find out more at our book of the month page.

Atlantic are giving 50 free copies to Mumsnetters - to claim yours, send your name and address to sarahpocklington@atlantic-books.co.uk, putting Mumsnet/Snowdrops in the Subject Bar.

And if you're not lucky enough to bag one of those, don't forget you can get your paperback or version here

We're delighted that A.D Miller will be joining us for the webchat on Tuesday 31 January, 9-10pm. Look forward to seeing you there.

ShadeMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:28:20

If you'd like to find out more about A.D. Miller and Snowdrops, visit our Book of the Month page.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 16:34:03

Shade?

really?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:41:39

Yep, really <bristlesprotectively>
Pronounced Shar-day.
Lovely newest member of team. smile

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 16:43:25

Oh <disappointed> Thought it was like a cool Harry Potteresque nom de plume.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 16:44:20

Sorry Shade

<resists strong pun urges until better acquainted>

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 16:45:46

I'm liking the maze of streets crammed with power plants. Moscow, eh? Kerrrrazy.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 16:46:38

I'm sorry about this, I'm sure another poster will be along soon, meanwhile there's just lil ol me.

I have read it btw. Would you like a John Crace digested digested?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:57:20

Yeah, go on, why not!

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:00:03

Thicko Nick wanders through every cliche of nouveau Russia imaginable while having hot sauna sex with stereotyped eastern euro girl who nicks a flat off heroic Babushka.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:01:03

You're not going to like that, are you?

But it's true. Pravda, innit?

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:04:48

What was the Spectator critic thinking?

They get the expensive drugs over there, lucky wotsits.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:05:25

I'm going for the record of most continuous posts on a thread.

Spassiba.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:06:14

How about I suggest some actual GOOD books for discussion? I suppose it depends on the publishers and the author's willingness to turn up of course.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:11:03

Or digested digested digested <thoroughly enjoying self now>

Snow. Sauna sex. Lap dancing. Alcohol. Fraud. Ruefulness.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-11 17:11:43

All suggestions for next year welcome.

We've had some interesting books and great author chats this year - Christos Tsiolkas, Emma Donaghue, Aimee Bender, Maggie O'Farrell...

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:14:35

Damn, I missed Cristos.

I didn't mean to suggest you didn't have good ones ever ever. I'm sorry if it sounded rude. It's just that Snow one made me cross.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-11 17:16:37

You didn't sound rude at all. Less to talk about if everyone loves every book. Please come and post when AD Millar's on - sure he's up for critical engagement!

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:18:15

Wiil do.

With PARD, of course.

MistyB Thu 01-Dec-11 17:34:58

Hully. I've read it too and while I did find it a page turner but mostly because I wanted to finish it quickly and kept hoping there was something great to come that I was currently missing. Unfortunately, I got to the end without finding it. The main character seemed more hollow than shallow and I think his chances of the wedding going ahead are slim!

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:42:58

Thicko Nick couldn't help himself. It was his trouser snake wot dunnit.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:46:46

How about:

Snow. Licentiousness. Rue.

Or:

Snow. Sin. Rue.

Hullygully Thu 01-Dec-11 17:53:21

We need one word that sums up alcohol/licentiousness/sex/depravity/wilfull-disregard-for-what-is-blatantly-obvious-and-clearly-wrong/fraud.

Bet the Russians have one. Or the Germans. They have a word for everything.

Hullygully Fri 02-Dec-11 15:03:36

Still no one here!

<does a little dance but not a lap one>

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Dec-11 17:04:06

There's still copies left if you fancy grabbing yourself a free copy of Snowdrops (don't be put off by Hully grin) and plenty of time left to read it between now and the book club discussion and webchat with AD Miller on 31st January. To claim yours, send your name and address to sarahpocklington@atlantic-books.co.uk, putting Mumsnet/Snowdrops in the Subject Bar. We'll let you know when they've all gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now