Author Ellen Feldman talks about Next to Love, our November Book of the Month, Weds 30 Nov, from 9pm

(82 Posts)

November's Book of the Month is Next to Love by Ellen Feldman, who was shortlisted for the Orange Prize for her last novel Scottsboro. Babe, Millie, and Grace are friends since childhood, living in a small Virginian town and waiting for news of their men who have gone to fight at D-Day.  As the war drags on, and when peace breaks out, they experience changes that move them in directions they never dreamed possible.  The women lose their innocence, struggle to raise their children, and find meaning and love in unexpected places. And as they change, so does America - from a country in which people know their place in the social hierarchy to a world in which women's rights, the Civil Rights movement, and technological innovations present new possibilities and uncertainties.

The kind folk at Macmillan have 50 free copies to give away - just email your name and address to promotions@macmillan.co.uk, putting Mumsnet/Next to Love in the Subject Bar.

But if you're not lucky enough to get one of those, don't forget you can get your paperback or Kindle e-book here

We are thrilled that Ellen will be chatting to us about Next to Love and all her other books on Wednesday 30 November 9-10 pm. Look forward to seeing you then.

If you'd like to find out more about Ellen Feldman and Next to Love, visit our Book of the Month page.

southlondonlady Wed 30-Nov-11 21:59:12

Thanks, the essay is very interesting, especially about the fashion and food industries. Have really enjoyed all the Q&As this evening.

NYmomma Wed 30-Nov-11 21:59:53

Thank you for all of that information, Ellen. It's beyond fascinating. I have to say that I was seething when Millie said that she felt badly for Claude -- that he has to put the potatoes in the oven or turn on the grill because Babe was still at work. Millie really believed that a wife shouldn't work, but I also thought this was the new Millie. I could see that money -- because of Al's business acumen -- changes her. All of the women change, but I was disappointed a little bit in Millie. I didn't like that she pitied her friend, though I suppose this sentiment is of the time. I loved how Al got King's house, though.

EllenFeldman Wed 30-Nov-11 22:00:39

southlondonlady

Thanks, the essay is very interesting, especially about the fashion and food industries. Have really enjoyed all the Q&As this evening.

I'm the one who should say thanks. It was a great experience.

And thank you for the description of aftereffects. One of my favourite moments in the book is when Babe makes the Cordon Bleu Poulet, it taste like Chicken hash and Claude sweetly says 'Its good' and she says ''not two and a half hours good'. That rang a large bell with me.

EllenFeldman Wed 30-Nov-11 22:01:59

TillyBookClub

And thank you for the description of aftereffects. One of my favourite moments in the book is when Babe makes the Cordon Bleu Poulet, it taste like Chicken hash and Claude sweetly says 'Its good' and she says ''not two and a half hours good'. That rang a large bell with me.

Yes, one of my favorite moments too.

Thanks, Tilly, this was great.

Its been such an enlightening evening - thanks to everyone for your questions.

Ellen, thank you so much for coming on tonight. Your answers have illuminated the novel, and given us even more to think about. I have learnt a huge amount, both through reading the book and hearing you talk about it.

Good luck with the cold war novel, I'm looking forward to reading it. Please come back some day and tell us about it!

Many thanks again...

EllenFeldman Thu 01-Dec-11 00:31:40

TillyBookClub

Its been such an enlightening evening - thanks to everyone for your questions.

Ellen, thank you so much for coming on tonight. Your answers have illuminated the novel, and given us even more to think about. I have learnt a huge amount, both through reading the book and hearing you talk about it.

Good luck with the cold war novel, I'm looking forward to reading it. Please come back some day and tell us about it!

Many thanks again...

Thanks to you, Tilly, for setting up the chat, and to all of you who participated for making it such fun and so challenging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now