Join David Mitchell to talk about THE THOUSAND AUTUMNS OF JACOB DE ZOET, our September Book of the Month, on Wed 28 September, 9-10pm

(156 Posts)

September's Author of the Month has been named as one of the most influential novelists in the world. David Mitchell has twice been shortlisted for the Booker and his novels attract vast numbers of readers and glowing reviews alike.

His latest book, THE THOUSAND AUTUMNS OF JACOB DE ZOET, is a masterpiece of historical fiction. Set in 1799, in the Japanese trading port of Dejima (run by the Dutch East India Trading Company, it is Japan's only window to the outside world), the novel follows young Dutchman Jacob de Zoet's struggle to win his fortune, battle with corruption and begin his love affair with the beautiful but scarred Japanese midwife who is dangerously close to the local Samurai lord. Ambitious, poetic, pacy, full of detail and immaculately researched - this is a novel that creates a world so fully realised that you become utterly engulfed in its pages.

We have 100 free copies for Mumsnetters - find out more at our book of the month page.

And get your paperback or Kindle version now.

We're delighted that David will be joining us for the chat on Wednesday 28 September 9-10pm. Look forward to seeing you there.

isleangel Wed 07-Sep-11 14:43:51

Hi
I have sent my email for the book last night, but I have heard nothing. Am I meant to get a return email, or are there any books left at all? How do I know? I loved Cloud Atlas, but haven't much money at the moment, so new books are a luxury, so this would be brilliant if I could get a copy smile

gailforce1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:46:31

Just wondering if an hour is going to be long enough as there are so many who have enjoyed all his books..........?

kerrymumbles Thu 08-Sep-11 15:18:41

Where in Ireland do you live and would you be willing to read draft of my novel?

[chancer]

SkaterGrrrrl Fri 09-Sep-11 09:05:21

I heart this book.

All 100 copies are now gone...I'm afraid there isn't a notification email to the lucky bunch who got there first, but you should receive the free copy next week. Many apologies to anyone who missed out (and hope you can beg/borrow/nab a copy off a friend).

Great to see so many fans here, hope you can all make 28th. I am feeling almost nauseous with admiration for this author, and I'm desperately trying to whittle my thousand questions down...

isleangel, I hope you get one. I've already passed mine on, but if you need one perhaps other Mumsnet editors might help.

SpeedyGonzalez, doesn't matter if you haven't read the latest one, come and talk about Cloud Atlas instead. The Bookclub chats are always about an author's entire output, you can ask about anything you want...

gailforce, good point about the hour sometimes not being long enough - we're still tinkering around with the slot and the timings etc, so we'll see how this first one at 9pm goes, and perhaps if everyone feels they need longer we'll start to extend?

Does anyone else have preferences about length/timing? Let me know...

kerrymumbles Fri 09-Sep-11 11:51:13

does that mean i didn't get one?

sobs

missorinoco Fri 09-Sep-11 20:26:21

isleangel, if i get one you can have mine when i have finished. i am equally broke. will let you know next week if one arrives.

isleangel Sun 11-Sep-11 12:54:44

Thanks for letting me know Tillybookclub, and really thanks missorinoco. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I see a book next week and let you know if I need a copy. I really love the book threads on here, even though I've only been on a short time. It's really lovely to meet such lovely people!

SpeedyGonzalez Sun 11-Sep-11 15:48:02

Thanks Tilly! I applied for a free book anyway, so fingers crossed!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Mon 12-Sep-11 13:43:30

I applied for but didn't get a free book sad. Still you can't have everything. I'll see if I can borrow a copy from the library this afternoon.
I love this author's work, I particularly enjoyed cloud atlas.

DoubleMum Tue 13-Sep-11 18:03:16

David Mitchell is absolutely lovely. I work for a Japanese book chain and when we picked up his first book years ago he was living in Hiroshima and used to go in and do signings in our Hiroshima store. He is a pleasure to interview and a dream for a publicist because he doesn't say no to reasonable requests. His wife is lovely too. Of course he's considerably more famous these days!

lisara Tue 13-Sep-11 23:22:06

Love the scope of David Mitchell's writing - could completely relate to Black Swan Green as spent part of my childhood in that area and was very evocative but really impressed with all his books - only wish I could write too as I read enough......

clevergingercat Fri 16-Sep-11 20:19:55

I read this book and was delighted with it. So I hope I can make it on Wednesday 28th! It would be great to add on my book reviews blog that I had heard him,

gailforce1 Fri 16-Sep-11 21:23:32

Is anyone else struggling to get into this? I am just not finding that it is "moving along" but it may be that I am very tired at the moment and trying to read late at night.

CalatalieSisters Mon 19-Sep-11 08:52:51

Has everyone had their free book now? I haven't received one and am just wondering whether it is time to give up waiting and buy a copy.

gazzalw Mon 19-Sep-11 17:14:12

I haven't had one but was pretty quick off the mark in sending off email - well before TillyBookClub flagged up that they'd all gone - maybe they haven't been sent out yet...?
Anyone received a copy yet - doesn't give long to read a long book!

WhipMeIndiana Mon 19-Sep-11 18:04:32

I havent had one, thought Id got there in time too sad

CalatalieSisters Mon 19-Sep-11 18:06:27

Yes, I thought I'd been liucky enough to get in very early too. Perhaps they havn't sent them out yet. I'm a very slow reader: it would be difficult for me to read it in time now. Ah well.

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 19-Sep-11 22:14:07

Haven't received one, either. Oh well.

No book here either - thought I was fairly quick too sad

JajasWolef Wed 21-Sep-11 09:11:29

gailforce, yes I think that you do need to devote a bit of time and brain power to this book it has to be said. I don't think it is a novel that you can just read a couple of pages before you turn out the light as quite complex although yes evenly paced. Well worth it but quite a challenge.

TheRhubarb Wed 21-Sep-11 13:57:53

I'm guessing it's not him off Mitchell and Webb then? I did wonder, but then he does come across as intelligent so it's not in the realms of impossibility that he could have written a book.

So what's this book about? Is it funny?

JajasWolef Wed 21-Sep-11 14:20:04

er no not funny and definitely not that other bloke!

TheRhubarb Wed 21-Sep-11 14:32:44

Not funny? So what, like a grown up Michael Morpurgo? Where everybody dies including the dog?

JajasWolef Wed 21-Sep-11 14:39:43

I think they eat the dog!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now