Got more to say about TRESPASS, our January Book of the Month? Join the discussion...

(17 Posts)

Following up on the feedback you gave us, we thought we'd start a second thread each month where Mumsnetters can air their thoughts freely and distinctly from the author webchat. Here we can discuss characters/plots/ideas in more depth and over a longer period of time - and if you hadn't finished the book by discussion night but now want to talk about it, then here is your chance.

So please feel free to carry on chatting about TRESPASS - this thread is all yours...

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 22:02:51

Trying to finish it now. I have to say though I dislike all of the central characters... I'd quite like to give Kitty a slap! Anyway... Must finish, even though I read spoilers on the previous thread!

I didn't like the characters either. I persevered and finished the book but I'm not sure I could say that I enjoyed reading it, although I thought it was very cleverly written, if that makes sense.

I think I might try Restoration following Rose's recommendation during the webchat.

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 22:15:30

It's not her best... She writes really well, but... What I've found with this one is that I am more interested in the back stories of the characters rather than the story she has focussed on. Does that make sense?

Yes, I found it easier to relate to their background stories, up to a point, so I can see why you'd find that more interesting.

Have you read other Rose Tremain books then? This was my first. Which of the others would you recommend?

It was interesting to read that Rose hadn't intended the characters to be 'horrible', when so many seem to have formed that opinion!

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 22:24:51

I really enjoyed Music and Silence. I read it a long time ago though... I may have to revisit it. I've not read Restoration, I think that's the one that won the Whitbread or the Booker.
I found The Road Home (was that what it was called?) predictable, and I didn't especially enjoy it.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 20-Jan-11 23:30:14

All of them are great IMO Restoration, Music and Silence, The Road Home, The Colour and the others which I have forgotten for the mo blush

I really do think that RT is the best modern author though. No one touches her for inventiveness or the capacity to shock and soothe simultaneously. All of her novels have a happy ending which I like very much.

MayorNaze Fri 21-Jan-11 07:49:57

am late blush

i thought the depiction of sexuality was interesting - Veronica and Kitty were obviously very confortable in themselves, yet Anthony appeared tortured and subversive...i wonder what significance these contrasts had?

(sorry, am midway through doing dcs breakfast...will be back...)

seasalt Fri 21-Jan-11 10:52:04

Just finished this now. It is well written but I thought it was very dark and didn't like any of the characters in it, they were all completely humourless.

Isitlargewineoclockyet Fri 21-Jan-11 23:11:35

I agree with others, i didn't much care for the characters or the story, and i thought it was a disappointing conclusion. I agree it was well written. I have loved previous books but especially Restoration, which was deeply layered, entertaining and brilliant.

CluckyKate Sat 22-Jan-11 23:23:56

Similarly I didn't like the characters in this book and yet, despite this, Rose Tremain was able to inspire an empathy towards them.

You're absolutely right on her capacity to shock and soothe Funny. This book left me with many conflicting emotions, particularly on the outcome for each character and the contradiction against my own set of moral & legal values - natural vs. divine justice.
As for humour, Kitty seemed to have a certain dryness about her and I completely understand the lack of humour amongst the other characters....what a sorry lot.

Overall, an original and well written tale - I'll definitely be reading more from Rose Tremain

gailforce1 Thu 27-Jan-11 21:41:31

I was looking forward to Tresspas as I had not read any Rose Tremain books but I was disappointed. Her previous books had been highly praised so perhaps I was expecting too much? I am going to read Restoration and Music & Silence as they seem to have been enjoyed by others on the two threads.

cocoachannel Thu 03-Feb-11 18:57:42

Coming to the party very late as only just finished the book. Very disappointed. Strange to dislike all of the characters, and so very, very predictable regarding the 'who dunnit?' aspect. Such a shame as my first Tremain novel and I've heard such good things about her writing.

Onto 'Room' now and hopefully a better read...!

4flipsake Fri 25-Feb-11 16:36:36

Have to agree with previous posters: I've enjoyed all her novels but found this lacking in depth. The plot wasn't very inspiring & the characters were unsympathetic. Won't be rushing out to buy her next one

inni Tue 12-Apr-11 14:09:46

I didnt enjoy the book at all couldnt wait to finish it. Really boring story.

fivecandles Sun 24-Apr-11 15:39:02

I was surprised by the dreadful representation of women in this novel esp Veronica and Kitty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now