Join Rose Tremain to talk about TRESPASS - our Book of the Month - on Thur 20 Jan, 8pm

(96 Posts)

A date for your brand new diaries...

We've chosen TRESPASS by Rose Tremain as our January book of the month.

It's a thrilling novel about disputed territory, sibling love and devastating revenge, by the bestselling author of (amongst many others) The Road Home (winner of the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction) and Restoration (shortlisted for the Booker Prize).

We're really pleased that Rose can join us for our next book club discussion on Thurs 20 Jan at 8pm.

Read more about Trespass and Rose's other books, plus read an interview with Rose when Trespass was longlisted for the Booker...

Hope you can join us, should be a great discussion.

yUMMYmUMMYb Wed 05-Jan-11 22:09:34

Got the book today through the post, so will start reading tonight

seasalt Sat 08-Jan-11 23:11:43

Just got this from the library today so will try to start reading tomorrow.

waybuloony Sun 09-Jan-11 17:11:13

If I order today and it arrives mid-week do you think it's readable in time for the webchat?
In other words - how long is it?

seasalt Sun 09-Jan-11 22:36:45

It's 253 pages,fairly short chapters. I didn't get time to start yet.

Thought you might like to see a Q&A Rose did for WHSmith (I think in conjunction with Richard and Judy's programme who also picked Trespass as their bookclub read)

I'll be sending Rose some advance questions this week so please start popping yours up here and we'll kick off with those on the night. And feel free to ask about any of her books, writing life, etc - you don't need to have read Trespass to join in.

Looking forward to next Thursday evening immensely...

A reminder to put any advance questions up here as I'll be sending over to Rose early next week...

CarmenSales Wed 12-Jan-11 16:37:55

Loved it smile

AmanSomal Thu 13-Jan-11 10:56:05

I am a Rose Tremain virgin wink Am reading Shantaram at the moment, but Trespass will be my next read.

Can anyone suggest any other Rose Tremain books?

Thanks gailforce1 for the youreading link. Mucho appreciated.

x

My personal favourite is Restoration (which was shortlisted for the Booker), but The Colour is also very good. They are all very different - come and join the chat if you want some inspiration!

KittyFoyle Thu 13-Jan-11 17:50:36

Hi Rose,

I loved The Road Home. I have a friend who is Bulgarian, working in London as a cleaner despite her economics degree. Her daughter is being brought up by her grandmother at home - they Skype but she is often in tears of pain for missing her child. I gave your book to her and she loved it too - she felt understood and was very moved by your work. I am a Londoner who moved to Norfolk (I'm near Sheringham) last year. Are there any places in Norfolk you find particularly inspirational when you need to think?

Amiable Thu 13-Jan-11 22:44:50

This is the first time I've joined the book club, but just had to when I saw Rose Tremain will be coming in. I met her at a talk she did a couple of years ago at Goldsmiths, and she was really lovely - very interesting speaker and funny too!

Rose - I LOVED The Road Home, and have read some of your other books since then, and the thing I find fascinating is the range of subjects you write about, different periods of history etc. What inspires you to write about a particular topic? Also, are there any of your books/stories that in hindsight you would have written differently, and if so, why?

MayorNaze Sat 15-Jan-11 20:13:37

ooh - i have now finished this

i must confess that i have not read any other Rose Tremain books so i have no idea if there are any common/recurrent stylistic themes/features blush

my questions have spoilers, sorry

did audrun really find peace in the end? was the apology what she wanted or the fact that she had "got rid" of her brother? did she see her brother as a victim too?

i will come back later...

FunnysInTheGarden Sat 15-Jan-11 22:52:48

Just finished Trespass, motivated partly by this thread ie made myself find the time, and it is FAB. Mind you all Rose Tremain's books are fab so it was totally expected grin

I have been a huge fan since reading Restoration 20 odd years ago and so will be back with a suitably well thought out and eloquent question nearer to the 20th

<gibbers, can't believe I am going to ask RT a question, gibbers>

OldieButBaddie Sun 16-Jan-11 17:33:15

I read this a few weeks ago
I must confess it is not my favorite, I love Rose's historical novels but I thought this was rather weak and the characterisation a bit clumsy in many ways.

Thanks to those who put their advance questions up - I'm going to send over to Rose tomorrow so there's still time if anyone else wants to put up a query today...

We're going to run a second thread for everyone to discuss the book amongst themselves - it'll open straight after the webchat has finished - so if you happen to miss Thursday's discussion, or you just want to talk further about the book to other Mumsnetters, then that'll be the place to be.

See you soon

gailforce1 Mon 17-Jan-11 21:19:48

Picked up my copy from library on Friday and youread copy arrived on Saturday! Am 3/4 through and enjoying so far.....
Looking forward to Thursday.

makemineamojito Mon 17-Jan-11 22:45:57

Just finished Trespass last night. Phew, nothing like a deadline to get you focused on reading a book in amongst trying to keep children happy! Looking forward to Thursday's discussion.

I have a question for Rose: How did you plan Trespass? Obviously the first chapter demonstrates that you knew how one of the main threads of the story would proceed, but was the rest of the story clearly mapped out from the start (and if so, did you find that anything changed as you wrote, or did you stick to your plan?!)

(I ask this because at certain points in the book I could imagine various outcomes and I wonder if Rose felt that too, and ever felt she had to choose between them).

Similarly to makemineamojito - I think it's very clever the way the theme is linked into the different storylines. I'd like to know how you develop the different storylines and maintain the trespass theme?

STOP PRESS: We have a very special offer from WHSmith, who are offering TRESPASS to Mumsnetters for only 3.99 - if you haven't already got a copy, or you'd like to buy one as a present then hurry along before the offer finishes on 2 February ....

See you all tomorrow evening...

bluepapermonkey Thu 20-Jan-11 10:50:42

finished TRESPASS last night (on my lovely kindle). RT is a great, she does a fantastic story and writes beautifully.

hope to come back tonight!

Wheelybug Thu 20-Jan-11 13:43:27

Hoping to join in tonight - have about 65 pages to go... so, doable if the children leave me alon {wink].

makin Thu 20-Jan-11 14:36:52

I am in the middle of reading Trespass and enjoying it very much look forward to the chat.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 20-Jan-11 15:13:54

Right can't think of anything eloquent to say and may not be about tonight, so would like to say

Hello Rose, I have loved all of your books, but would be interested to know which of your novels is your favourite and why? I think mine may on balance be The Colour, btw

Many Thanks

Funnys

atrociouscook Thu 20-Jan-11 17:17:03

A fabulous book, full of suspense. .did the car get burnt in the fire? why didn't the police investigate the remains? What a horrible collection of characters - all so ugly, except perhaps for Veronica but beautifully drawn. Can't wait for your next book.

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 19:52:16

I've not finished it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now