Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Guest blog: Petronella Wyatt is wrong about teenage 'temptresses' - tell us what you think

(29 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Mar-13 13:05:08

Our guest blog today is by Mumsnet Blogger Glosswitch, who writes in response to an article by Petronella Wyatt in yesterday's Daily Mail.

Wyatt says that, as a teenage girl, she was regularly propositioned by her father's male friends. But she pours scorn on the idea that their behaviour was in any way abusive - claiming, in fact, that it's 'predatory and precocious' girls who deserve our censure.

Read Glosswitch's post, and tell us what you think. If you blog on this subject, don't forget to post your URL on the thread.

Nipitinthebud Thu 14-Mar-13 11:23:23

noblegiraffe exactly what I thought! Damaging article from her limited perspective. Those may be her views and her experiences but surely one could see how it might not be the same for the vast majority of people and then wonder if your moral responsibility was to not publish. However I suspect PWs article has more to do with trying to be controversial and self-publicising, rather than the need to defend all those poor men with their uncontrollable testosterone from teenage Lolita's.

flurp Thu 14-Mar-13 12:42:05

Imagine if Jimmy Saville's name had been mentioned in that article!
These dirty old men are no better than JS.
Makes one wonder how many other young girls these men groped - but its OK is it because they are 'upper class' pervs?
PW's parents sound grossly negligent, if one of my Dad's friends had behaved that way he would have gone ballistic!!!

JakeBullet Thu 14-Mar-13 12:52:43

Well said flurp.

Yes wonder indeed if he had been among the list of lecherous old men who abused her that she would see things in the same light. Or if the Daily Mail would.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 14-Mar-13 18:01:55

Agree fillyjonk and flurp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now