Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

What do you call your daughter's private parts? pom pom, fanny, frou frou?

(91 Posts)
e11ie5 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:27:59

serious question ... I've been pondering it for a while only to find that the Telegraph has a piece on the very matter as well ... so far people have suggested pom pom, frou frou, bits, Mary ... and fronthind ... any thoughts!! I've written about the matter here
http://crazypregnantperson.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/by-any-other-name/

MrsBeaver Thu 29-Nov-12 21:12:22

Woo-woo. Or front bottom.

quietlysuggests Thu 29-Nov-12 21:18:07

Vulva.
I hate hate hate "front bottom"
Bottoms are dirty, poo covered, yucky.
Boys have one bottom and a willy= cool
People tell girls they have two bottoms= yuck times two?
Not fair to make girls feel like they have dirty bits.

It is a vulva.
So we call it a vulva.

DD only 1 so not come up yet. My mum referred to it as a 'fairy' too but not sure what we will call it yet so am watching with interest.

DS 2.10 calls his penis his 'louis' & has done since he could speak... Something we were thankful of a while back when we were at a family funeral in church & he pipes up 'mummy my Louis has got bigger!' thankfully no-one knew what he was talking about! blush

MumsKnitter Thu 29-Nov-12 22:34:56

Gosh! So many vulvas, who knew! We call it a ginny. I did teach my girls clit too, but regretted when they were with Grandma and shocked the poor woman! I do, however, think that it's important that they have unambiguous names for their genitals for their own protection. They need to feel comfortable with their bodies and be able to talk about them.

scrumpkin Thu 29-Nov-12 22:43:38

Fanny

milkysmum Thu 29-Nov-12 22:48:12

I had been thinking about this a while back (my dd is 3.8) we settled on vagina as everything else sounded ridiculous! her nana nearly died on the spot when she heard dd saying the word vagina though! confused

IfYouSeeMeSayHello Thu 29-Nov-12 22:49:54

Vagina. Or more frequently, gina.

Cannot bear cute euphemisms like froufrou, flower etc. Ridiculous

Spero Thu 29-Nov-12 22:57:19

My exes' ridiculously squeamish mother thought it was some kind of child abuse to use anatomical terms. So she insisted on Noo Noo which apparently is the name of a vacuum cleaner in the teletubbies, which caused my daughter some distress and confusion in her formative years.

On a serious note, the use of 'front bottom' did really banjax an interview with a very young child who was thought to be alleging sexual abuse. The interviewer got confused as to what bottom was being referred to and in the end the investigation did not proceed as it was felt that a reference to a 'bottom' could have been innocent, help with toiletting etc. that may well have been the truth, but it wasn't fair to that little girl to disable her from telling her story in the clearest way possible.

e11ie5 Thu 29-Nov-12 23:03:39

: ) that's all ... I love this forum ... thanks so much girls ... I'm going to bed grinning about fantoosh and Auntie Betsie ...

somehow this all makes me think of Pauline Collins as Shirley Valentine talking about the cli-torrrris ... and re the vulva / volvo thing there is a restaurant near Cambridge called Vuva which makes me chortle every time I drive past it ...

keep on with the pet names ... I'm fascinated!

MrsMushroom Fri 30-Nov-12 09:23:19

spero I loathe "front bottom" but what idiot couldn't work out that it means vagina? Front bottom is not bottom.

3b1g Fri 30-Nov-12 09:34:06

I'm a bit flummoxed about the references to vagina for very young girls. Unless a child accidentally sticks something up there in the bath, why would she need to be referring to something that is inside her body? (Obviously it would be useful to know where her vagina is once she starts her periods, especially if she wants to use tampons). If we're saying that it's important for a child to know the correct names for her genitalia, then surely vagina should only be used to refer to the actual tract.

quietlysuggests Fri 30-Nov-12 10:01:39

3b1g
Its parents who wish they could use non-twee names but when it actually comes right down to it they themselves are trained to find vulva icky and they just cant use it.
So they wrongly use vagina.
To me, it is more irritating. Why oh why would you teach someone that everything else is not deserving to be named.
I can thelp shake the feeling that in the same way as the only sex thats "counts" is PIV sex. the only part worth naming is the part that men put themselves into.
Anyway....

squareheadcut Fri 30-Nov-12 10:08:32

my mother in law calls it a vaggy! PRON Vajjee

Dd has adopted the bottom so I go with that

AndiMac Fri 30-Nov-12 10:20:41

Vagina. It's not quite correct, but it's a word that would be acceptable and understood by anyone who needed to know, including a doctor.

Plus I read that giving it an anatomically correct name could help you pick up on possible sexual abuse (heaven forbid). If you taught them to call it vulva or vagina and they are suddenly calling it a cupcake, you should follow up and ask from where they got that name.

DumSpiroSpero Fri 30-Nov-12 10:24:52

Girly bits, although DD did briefly coin the expression 'underbum' which I quite liked! grin

DumSpiroSpero Fri 30-Nov-12 10:26:45

So she insisted on Noo Noo which apparently is the name of a vacuum cleaner in the teletubbies, which caused my daughter some distress and confusion in her formative years.

There's also a book about dummies called 'The Last Noo Noo'...confused!

CheerfulYank Fri 30-Nov-12 10:38:52

I'm going to begin calling mine an Aunt Betsy now, Hully. "No thank you DH, Auntie Betsy is not receiving visitors this evening." grin

I don't know what I'll call it if I ever have a girl. Vulva probably? No idea. I call DS's penis a penis. He was quite amused to tell me "Papa (my dad) calls a penis a 'pee-winker'!" They'd been taking a sauna together when DS was staying at my parents and apparently my dad told him to "wash your pee-winker."

Of course, that's the man who told me not to say 'uterus' when I was about 16, so he's a bit uncomfortable with real words for anything vaguely below the belt.

Spero Fri 30-Nov-12 11:39:32

Mrsmushroom - because sometimes she said 'front bottom', sometimes she said 'bum', sometimes 'bottom' and at one stage she said the man involved had 'three bottoms' and showed her. It did not help that the interviewer was all at sea and made it worse by inappropriate questions... but I can't help thinking if the little girl and known how to distinguish 'bottom' and 'vagina/vulva' things would have been a lot clearer a lot earlier on...

I suspect 'bottom' was just a catch all phrase for the entire pubic region, but you can see the confusion that can cause.

tethersend Fri 30-Nov-12 11:44:17

We're a house of fannies.

3b1g Fri 30-Nov-12 12:54:58

Poor DS1 had some mild balanitis a few weeks ago. I gave him some fucidin cream and some instructions on what to do with it. After a couple of days, I needed to know whether it was clearing up, but didn't want to embarrass him in front of his siblings, so when I went into his room to say goodnight, I asked him how things were going 'downstairs'. He had no idea what I was talking about, and this led to one of those conversations at cross-purposes until it dawned on him that I was trying to subtly ask about his penis.

WithTheDude Fri 30-Nov-12 13:31:50

Vulva, clitoris and vagina. I don't do twee.

quietlysuggests Fri 30-Nov-12 13:46:05

"Vagina. It's not quite correct, but it's a word that would be acceptable and understood by anyone who needed to know, including a doctor. "

No no no and no
Its not correct.
It is in fact incorrect!
And it drives doctors mad to look at a woman, quite capable of having sex and having babies and talking about anything in the world, sit before you and announce that she has an itchy vagina.
It drives us mad.

Its a vulva people, say it with me, as Dora would say, Its a vulva!

AndiMac Fri 30-Nov-12 13:50:39

Yes, because it would be much better if she walked in and said she has an itchy frou frou. hmm

vulva and vagina although it comes out more as foofa and Jina when DD says it which suits me fine. She knows the names just can't say them properly yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now