PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

What do you call your daughter's private parts? pom pom, fanny, frou frou?

(91 Posts)
e11ie5 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:27:59

serious question ... I've been pondering it for a while only to find that the Telegraph has a piece on the very matter as well ... so far people have suggested pom pom, frou frou, bits, Mary ... and fronthind ... any thoughts!! I've written about the matter here
http://crazypregnantperson.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/by-any-other-name/

Sargesaweyes Thu 29-Nov-12 19:57:55

Ha ha. I might start calling ds tinky a wibbly wobbly Spero.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Thu 29-Nov-12 19:58:08

vagina. 'gina' according to DD age 2. I can't say vulva without thinking of ross from friends trying to talk dirty. If she points out a specific bit then I'll name it for her.

Labia, for the washing part. Vulva for the "stop putting your dinner there" part.

She found her vagina recently to her great surprise, told her what it was called and that was that.

Meglet Thu 29-Nov-12 20:04:11

Vulva for 4yo DD. She uses it most of the time.

Or binky, which she is using less and less. I decided that if boys can use penis and willy then she needed a silly name too.

Vulva, vagina, clitoris. Only anatomically correct terms.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 29-Nov-12 20:05:35

Vagina although she says peanuts

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Thu 29-Nov-12 20:09:04

Foo-fah but she's only 1 so I sort of feel it doesn't matter at the moment. And I think I've only actually said it about 3 times.

BeatTheClock Thu 29-Nov-12 20:11:19

When my dd was much smaller she wanted a proper name so we settled on vagina (yes I know that's not strictly correct but it's what we ended up with). She couldn't say it very well.

Anyway at grandma's one day she mentioned China (god knows whyconfused) there followed an extremely complicated crossed purposes conversation with my dad - her grandad - who though she was studying China at school for a project.

My poor dad, who's in his 70's and quite old school about ladies bits and bobs, was mortified when he realised the actual subject matter being discussed. My mum was laughing her head offgrin

NigellaLawless Thu 29-Nov-12 20:11:44

I completely agree with everything Spero says!!!

3b1g Thu 29-Nov-12 20:14:08

DD (3 brothers) decided to call it her bunny so we went along with that. My parents are horrified as they think she should call it her vulva, but as I pointed out to them, they wouldn't expect her to refer to her tummy as her abdomen.

3b1g Thu 29-Nov-12 20:18:34

Should add that she knows the correct word for her bunny is vulva, in the same way that her brothers know that the correct word for a willy is penis.

Spero Thu 29-Nov-12 20:18:51

Nigella, I thought my favourite phrase would be 'you've just won euromillions' but on reflection I prefer wot you say.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 29-Nov-12 20:22:17

Carried on using the term "Fairy" which my mother used.

DD used it for a bit and then it has changed to "Furry". We shower together and she has seen my pubic hair and named it. I quite like it.

MirandaWest Thu 29-Nov-12 20:22:23

We say bits. Although both DC know the anatomically correct words as well.

SantasLittleControlGeek Thu 29-Nov-12 20:28:33

I grew up knowing it to be my 'flower', but was always puzzled as to whether it was my 'flower' or my 'flour'. I ended up settling on believing it was my 'flour' as it was always copiously dusted with talcum powder after my bath... choos carefully, mums!

SantasLittleControlGeek Thu 29-Nov-12 20:28:40

^choose

Chubfuddler Thu 29-Nov-12 20:30:58

Front bottom

lostinindia Thu 29-Nov-12 20:39:08

We use crotch.

Beat the clock, that's brilliant! Was he saying its big and very far away?

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 29-Nov-12 20:48:11

DS has "penis" now, but "winkle" when he was little). DD (2) has a "vagina", because DS insists that's the right term. But she calls it her "ankle" grin

GreeenFingers Thu 29-Nov-12 20:52:28

We call it a " fairy/2, which I think is a sweet name. My daughter said that when she geows up she'll have a " fanny" like mine. Poor kid, I hope she doesn't.

weeonion Thu 29-Nov-12 20:57:53

vulva, vagina and clitoris.

She had a bad dose of chicken pox earlier this year and was covered in spots. I love to see peoples reactions when she tells them that her vulva and clitoris were covered. smile

BeatTheClock Thu 29-Nov-12 21:00:00

Lol I wasn't actually there. My dad was too blush to give me much information as to which point in the conversation he twigged he wasn't actually talking about China. It was my mum who told me. It got veeery confusing apparantly.

StillSquiffy Thu 29-Nov-12 21:02:31

Vulva.

I am mystified as to why the naming of this part of the anatomy causes angst when discussing it with children.

ginmakesitallok Thu 29-Nov-12 21:06:34

Front bum here - not vagina unless we were actually talking about her vagina (i.e. the inside bit) I have NEVER referred to my "bits" as my vulva - just seems wrong/wierd. Can't say it's ever caused me any harm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now