PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

What do you call your daughter's private parts? pom pom, fanny, frou frou?

(91 Posts)
e11ie5 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:27:59

serious question ... I've been pondering it for a while only to find that the Telegraph has a piece on the very matter as well ... so far people have suggested pom pom, frou frou, bits, Mary ... and fronthind ... any thoughts!! I've written about the matter here
http://crazypregnantperson.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/by-any-other-name/

cathpip Thu 29-Nov-12 13:30:52

Foo Foo in our house, at my sisters its a Minnie. smile

MrsWolowitz Thu 29-Nov-12 13:31:52

Front bum.

Unless we are referring to her actual vagina rather than her labia then we say vagina. (She's had thrush so vaginas have been a hot topic with her recently)!

pictish Thu 29-Nov-12 13:31:54

minnie here

AnAirOfHopeForSnow Thu 29-Nov-12 13:33:07

My 3 year old son calls it "No penis" i correct him to use the medical term.

LarkinSky Thu 29-Nov-12 13:50:43

We call it her ''gina", short for vagina. Yes, I know it's not necessarily anatomically correct but I don't think my 3 yr old roll be disadvantaged!

VoterColonelSebastianDoyle Thu 29-Nov-12 14:34:14

Loo loo grin

SillyBeardyDudeyman Thu 29-Nov-12 14:36:01

girl bits.
Unless we need to discuss specific parts and then we get medical.

e11ie5 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:36:05

ohhh I like 'gina short for Vagina ...interesting minnie seems a common name as well wonder where that came from?

Influenced by previous discussions on here, vulva. Which was fine until they learned to read the word Volvo and started to understand the concept of jokes.

allinagoodcause Thu 29-Nov-12 14:51:49

vagina you weirdos - whats wrong with calling it by it's proper name ???

HullyEastergully Thu 29-Nov-12 14:52:20

Auntie Betsy

LaCiccolina Thu 29-Nov-12 14:52:32

Bits

qo Thu 29-Nov-12 14:54:15

Lady garden, or fantoosh.

Allinagoodcause, the vagina is the internal part, the external (which I think OP is talking about) would be vulva

GreenShadow Thu 29-Nov-12 14:56:14

Just called 'bottom' - never distinguished between 'front' and 'back'

MrsMushroom Thu 29-Nov-12 14:56:24

Ginny, la la, vagina, bits, foof, foo foo, "dot", mooli, LOADS of words here. We tend to make them up randomly.

I like "Fantoosh" as it sounds fancy and yet powerful! grin

Spero Thu 29-Nov-12 14:56:54

Vagina. I know it should be vulva, but i think that battle is lost.

I think it is really sad that we appear to be so alarmed/ashamed of our girl parts' that we can't even name them. And I have seen lots of investigations into sexual abuse flounder at initial stages because one person's 'frou frou' was another person's 'noo noo'.

RillaBlythe Thu 29-Nov-12 15:00:38

Vagina (yes vulva blah blah).

allinagoodcause Thu 29-Nov-12 15:01:35

True but vagina will do won't it?

qo Thu 29-Nov-12 15:05:31

It doesn't bother me what other people call their daughters bits, if vagina is your choice.
It's just that saying oh whats wrong with the correct name, when it isn't actually the correct name IYSWIM? grin

Spero Thu 29-Nov-12 15:08:26

It just worries me that all the cutesie names are part of our warped attitude to female sexuality. We don't call our daughter's arms or legs by weird fluffy nicknames.

MrsWolowitz Thu 29-Nov-12 18:45:06

What qo said.

MrsMushroom Thu 29-Nov-12 19:45:59

spero Yes...but we don't want to get too serious about our Fannys do we? I mean men have funny names for their penis's don't they?

John Thomas, Winky, Willy, Wee Wee, Python etc.

stargirl1701 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:49:48

Vulva.

As a teacher I think it's so important children know the correct names for their own body parts. I had a mum when teaching P1 who was shocked that, as part of the H&W curriculum, we taught the correct names for body parts. She encouraged her child to call her vulva a flower. I suggested that if her child told me someone had touched her flower it wouldn't ring alarm bells for me. That choice of name was, IMHO, inappropriate.

Spero Thu 29-Nov-12 19:53:51

Why does the counterpart for serious have to be excruciatingly twee? Most little boys get away with 'willy', not wibbly Wobblies or similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now