PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Universal, free childcare - is it a solution?

(328 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 21:55:00

This week, Mumsnet Blogger Mummyisagadgetgeek reports back from an event organized by the thinktank Progress on the subject of universal childcare. Should they win the next election, Labour are considering it as a possible policy - so we thought it would be good to find out what it was all about.

So: read her blog report from the event, tell us what you think here on the thread - and if you blog, let us know about it. We'll be tweeting posts next week.

ByTheWay1 Sat 10-Nov-12 12:37:15

I bring my kids up with a mixture of values including a work ethic and lack of sexism.... some very big generalisations and assumptions are being made just because some people choose to not have full time paid employment in the early years of child rearing.

My kids see me as a SAHM who is there for them, (now) with a part time job chosen with them in mind, studying hard for a degree in Maths and Statistics, working as a team alongside their dad to provide a great home and a great start in life for them.

Other people make other choices in order to provide the best start in life for their children in their particular circumstances - doesn't mean any of us are promoting sexism or lacking in work ethic FFS

morethanpotatoprints Sat 10-Nov-12 16:20:26

Xenia.

My dc are brought up with a good work ethic in a non sexist environment. My dh helps to raise them and we all share household duties irrespective of sex. I dig the garden, clean cars, change oil, water and tyres as well as the males in the house. My dc are all capable of ironing, cooking the tea, vacuuming and washing up. I don't see your point there.

WidowWadman Sat 10-Nov-12 17:29:42

The belief that the sole purpose of work is wage earning and a good work ethic imho don't really go together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now