PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Join #TeamMNCatapult - Change the lives of women and girls around the world

(50 Posts)
MmeLindor Germany Thu 11-Oct-12 08:05:40

When I was in Kenya for the Gates Foundation and MN this year, I was constantly asked, 'what can we do?' and I kept saying, 'I really don't know.. because other than raise awareness, it is difficult to promote one or two charities that are helping direct in the field.

I saw examples of corruption within the charity sector, and it made me very cautious about recommending a project or charity to anyone.

Then Gates Foundation contacted me about Catapult.org - an organisation funded by Gates, in partnership with Women Deliver, Catapult aims to crowdfund projects around the world that directly benefit women and girls.

I really love this idea and would like to set up TeamMNCatapult so that we - Mumsnetters - can get involved and really improve the lives of the women and girls in the projects that we choose.

If you are interested, please check out my blog post

I know that some don't want to have MN connected to their FB, so if you don't want to share the MN linked blog, that is fine, but would you share the Catapult.org website.

MerryLindor Fri 07-Dec-12 08:33:11

Bumping to add link to new thread

tadjennyp Mon 22-Oct-12 21:18:35

Lol THERhubarb - that would have been funny!

BigBroomstickBIWI Mon 22-Oct-12 17:07:31

blush I haven't done this yet. Will do it this evening, I promise.

THERhubarb Mon 22-Oct-12 10:08:03

bumpety bump bumpety bump, der der der, bumpety bump bumpety bump, der der der, bumpety bump bumpety bump - bumpety bump!

MmeLindor Germany Sun 21-Oct-12 10:18:16

We are ranked #9 of the teams on Catapult - the power of MN

MmeLindor Germany Sun 21-Oct-12 10:11:05

We have a new member. Hurrah.

One thing I wanted to mention - some of us have donated to the girls' education project (in the name of Malala). Don't feel you have to join us - you can donate to which ever project is close to your heart.

All the projects are worthy of support, and if you find one that you think is great, then donate and let us know, so that we can all have a look. It is a great way of finding new projects.

MmeLindor Germany Sat 20-Oct-12 23:15:02

Lol. You nit. They'd crown you Queen of Catapult for that.

grin

THERhubarb Sat 20-Oct-12 22:08:28

MmeLindor - I put $20 as my donation and I'm so glad I checked before I pressed send, as it had changed it to $2,000.00! My wine was spat all over my keyboard and my heart literally stopped for a little bit! I mean, I fully support the cause but $2,000 would bankrupt us!

I need another glass of wine now to get over the shock of what I very nearly donated! wine

MmeLindor Germany Sat 20-Oct-12 16:32:57

Ok, here is a quick tutorial on how to donate:

1. Sign up - you can do so via FB or using email address. I've had issues logging in via FB a couple of times but hope that this is just in the initial phase and this will get better

2. Join TeamMN www.catapult.org/team/teammumsnet

3. Look for project that you wish to support - we have donated to the project set up in the name of Malala - it doesn't support Malala personally, or her projects, but other projects around the world that support education. www.catapult.org/project/malala-i-want-access-world-knowledge

4. If you'd prefer to donate to a different project, you can search here www.catapult.org/find-project

5. Enter the donation sum and choose if you wish to donate in the name of TeamMN - you have to be logged into your account to select a team

6. You can add a donation to Catapult - the creation of the enterprise was funded by Gates Foundation but obviously as it grows, they will need cash. They don't take a cut of the donations to the projects, so the only way they have of keeping this up and running is through our support.

7. Tell the world - tweet it, FB it, tell MN - let folk know that Catapult exists.

8. Start a team - you can belong to several teams, so if you want to create one for your colleagues, or for your family, or a group of friends - go ahead. The more people get involved, the more we can do.

One of the things to stress is that this is not a website where you can see something on the news, then make a spontaneous donation - while I think it is great that so many are fundraising eg for Malala or other projects that she is interested in, we need money to go into long term projects too.

The projects on Catapult are chosen very carefully, they are vetted to ensure they meet the strict criteria. You know that the money you donate goes directly to the project, and not into paying the costs of a huge charity.

MmeLindor Germany Sat 20-Oct-12 16:18:00

Hadn't been able to log in for a few days and suddenly we have 16 members. Yay.

THERhubarb Sat 20-Oct-12 12:54:08

MmeLindor, once I've figure out how to <thick emoticon> I will donate too, it's just a bit confusing being in dollars.

Thanks for sharing dd's page. smile

tadjennyp Fri 19-Oct-12 22:05:50

Sorry for being a bit thick - finally worked out how to donate! Thought I'd give more than I have to the election in the US. I don't see why politicians should get more of my money than people like Malala. hmm Go TeamMN!

MmeLindor Germany Fri 19-Oct-12 21:31:12

Have shared on FB, Rhub. Good luck to her. What a grand thing to do.

THERhubarb Fri 19-Oct-12 17:47:41

Someone linked this thread for me. My 12yo dd is trying to set up a team to participate in a sponsored 10 mile walk. If you live near Bristol or Bath please do join our team and come along. Funds raised will go to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham who have set up a fund for Malala's cause.

Please join our JustGiving page and please pass it on. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I'm happy to lend my support to other fundraisers and events too.

MmeLindor Germany Fri 19-Oct-12 11:32:40
MmeLindor Germany Wed 17-Oct-12 21:26:07

Anyone else?

MmeLindor Germany Wed 17-Oct-12 12:42:28

Imperial
Yes, absolutely - it is truly the key to growth, both personal, for the family and for the entire community and country of the girl. <comes over all West Wing> Education is the Silver Bullet.

Norma
That is great.

Not sure when paypal will be up and running - hopefully soon.

NormaStanleyFletcher Cote D'Ivoire Wed 17-Oct-12 07:36:00

I am in an internet free zone at the mo so can only MN from my phone. Will join when I am back in the land of wireless networks smile

imperialstateknickers Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:09

OK I'll start donating when PayPal's up and running.

Girl's education is the big thing for me. Educated girls become educated women who empower their own daughters and sons.

Bring it on! <rolls up sleeves and gets ready for a bit of hard work>

MmeLindor Germany Tue 16-Oct-12 21:49:27

Can you PM me your name, and I will check. When did you join?

Just noticed that I can't count. We have 11 members. blush

tadjennyp Tue 16-Oct-12 21:39:58

I can't see if it let me join. I'm in Oregon, if that identifies me.

MmeLindor Germany Tue 16-Oct-12 21:10:06

Here is the link to TeamMN again

We have 12 members already.

imperialstateknickers Tue 16-Oct-12 20:54:45

Place mark, cheers.

MmeLindor Germany Tue 16-Oct-12 09:12:00

Ok, kicking off by donating to a fund that I suspect all of us would support. I have donated to Malala fund --

Donate to three girls' education projects to open a world of knowledge and honor Malala Yousafzai's dream. 100% of all proceeds go to fund these projects.

"Providing 35 secondary school scholarships," Girl Up
"Scholarships for Afghan girls," Afghan Institute of Learning
"Empowering young women to finish university," Pathfinder International

To donate, simply go to the page, enter your donation and select that you are donating in the name of TeamMumsnet. Then share on FB and Twitter or wherever to let others know about it.

NormaStanleyFletcher Cote D'Ivoire Mon 15-Oct-12 20:20:40

marking place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now