PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

What is this section meant to be about?

(116 Posts)
DillyTante Fri 14-Sep-12 18:40:30

You know, I'm finding that I rarely use this bloggers section anymore because I don't really know the point of it.

Is it somewhere where we discuss blogging related issues, e.g. Technical, writing, ideas etc. Is it where we share our latest blog posts? We do that on one thread and it's not very interactive, I feel that people post and run and don't read other people's posts. Some people post separately when they post but if we all did that the place would be over run and you'd never really see anything.

This isn't supposed to be where we share other people's blogs, though I'm not sure where on MN we'd do that then if not for the bloggers section.

There are a lot of people who just come on this section and never go on the rest of MN, just treat it as if it is it's own little chat forum. But that never goes down well on MN, for good reason, you never really get a feel for the ethos of the place, and it feels like you just don't care about MN enough. So then I get irrationally angry at people who post random questions that are nothing to do with blogging and would be better on the Relationship or Education (etc) sections.

So what is this space meant to be all about? What do YOU want from it, how can we make it better, because I mostly find it quite slow & boring ATM but I'd like to hang around here a bit more.

blueish Mon 17-Sep-12 22:49:36

I know and I use/love it. I just don't like MN being on it as I feel quite possessive about MN and don't like the idea of it becoming watered down and mainstream.

DebonaireDad Tue 18-Sep-12 05:06:11

I'm so glad that Dilly started this thread, for a couple of reasons. first up, as both a newbie to Mumsnet, Mumsnet Blogging (and blogging in general) I was also trying to work out what it was for and how it benefited, especially in the last couple of days where there seemed to have been more and more posts completely unrelated to the subject of blogging. Also it's good to see a good debate on it, with both seasoned Mumsnetters and some new people like me joining in, it shows that some people are interested in improving it for all, which has to be a good thing and makes me want to stick around and see if I can contribute (as well as if it can help benefit me).

One question that I have, and perhaps this goes to the issue of quality/quantity that has been raised by some, is around relevance - when I first dropped by here, I assumed that it would be about blogs that are related to children/being parents and so, given the mumsnet connection (which by and large they are), but there also seem to be an increasing number of blogs that are completely unrelated to the "parent thing". I don't have any issue with this, but was wondering, is this a meeting place for:
a) Mumsnetter's who blog (on any subject, including or not, parenting)
b) People who blog about parenting related stuff (to some degree) who have joined mumsnet to access the "mumsnet bloggers area" as some form of resource and/or exposure
c) People who blog about anything and see this as a resource... (as per b) above)
I would be interested to know what those "in charge" think, and of course, everyone else.

Personally, I saw it as a way to perhaps get some advice from others with more experience than me (on blogging) a, bit of a chance for some mutual blog cross-promotion if relevant and to maybe maybe make some new virtual friends along the way.

From a selfish point of view I would like to understand how certain aspects work, such as featured bloggers, how the process of being "followed" on twitter or linked to on twiitter by mumsnet works and so on.

As I said, I've not been around mumsnet or the main forums long, but as others have said, I don't think too many people would be happy if you integrated the main forum and the blogs (somehow) too closely - people clearly go there to chat etc., and don't want to be advertised to. However, they may be interested in certain parenting (or it seems to me, relationships) related posts on blogs if presented in a not too obtrusive way.

Bit long winded that, but I hope it adds to the debate - right, I'm off to find the relevant board to post on regarding getting some advice on a two-year-olds birthday party...

MmeGuillotine Tue 18-Sep-12 16:16:06

Personally, I'm a Mumsnetter who blogs about history and writing but not parenting and I come here to chat with other bloggers or help out if I can as I've been blogging for a while now! smile

This is a great thread - I'm definitely in favour of a bloggers AIBU etc. smile

Tee2072 Tue 18-Sep-12 16:36:58

This will get me vilified by certain people on MN, but this is where having signatures for posts is really handy.

If HQ allowed sigs, we could put our blog links in them. Yes, it's self promotion, but if * everyone* could do it...

But the boards would implode if it was even suggested as that way lies tickers and sparkly shit.

grin

MmeGuillotine Tue 18-Sep-12 16:52:27

Oh yes, down with tickers and sparkly shit but it's possible to do it tastefully. I don't think such a change would go down well with a lot of people though! ;)

MmeLindor Tue 18-Sep-12 17:57:13

Tee!
That is blasphemy. I am sure MmeG knows of a suitable historical punishment for such a transgression.

DebonairDad
I actually like that MN Bloggers are very diverse and not just parenting blogs - it is a reflection of the website.

flubba Tue 18-Sep-12 18:24:34

But maybe then it might make more sense to have topic areas within the bloggers' forum (for example arts & crafts, parenting, literature, food, X, Y and Z too [sorry, too tired to think of more examples]) so that people can post in areas that relate directly to their own blogs and read within the areas that interest them. I think that would help reduce the post-and-run types?

DebonaireDad Tue 18-Sep-12 18:31:14

Hi Mme, thanks for the reply - I wasn't suggesting that MN bloggers only be about parenting, I was just asking the question to see what others thought - I guess it also comes back to the main question, not just "what is the bloggers forum for?", but what is the whole MN Bloggers section for in its entirety?

As someone else has already posted, Net Mums seems to be much clearer about what it is trying to achieve with its blogging activities - it's clearly a commercial aim and to drive more traffic to their own site, and they are forthright in how they will promote your blog - I'm not sure that they have much of a community around it though, unlike here.

Personally, I quite like flicking through the blog listings here to see what other people are up to whether it be parenting or otherwise.

Tee2072 Tue 18-Sep-12 19:27:57

I know! Can't believe I said it! ::awaits punishment::

I do think MNHQ needs to think more about what they are exactly trying to accomplish. It feels a bit like they jumped on the Blogging Bandwagon without having a plan other than to sign up as many bloggers as possible.

MmeLindor Tue 18-Sep-12 20:50:18

Hmm. I posted earlier but something went wrong. I have internet gremlins tonight.

DebonaireDad
Yes, I agree that we need a bit more focus. I like the Netmums's layout with the big square grid - it encourages browsing more than a list, I think.

It is a bit tricky with sorting blogs into categories, as some of us don't really fit in one box.

QueenMaeve Tue 18-Sep-12 23:10:42

I have linked a few times to a thread when it was relevant.(crafts etc) Everyone was appreciative of the input.

QueenMaeve Tue 18-Sep-12 23:12:55

But yes as mme L said, a more visual link to blogs. The network only shows most recent 10 posts. I rarely click beyond 1st or 2nd page.

WomanlyWoman Wed 19-Sep-12 13:30:19

I'd agree about the links to blogs. The alphabetical order thing doesn't do me any favours either smile I agree about the points made on categories too, I'm in books, but might fit more into feminism.

I've actually only just found this area, interesting discussion. I'm something of an irregular poster on MN, been around for years but just don't have the time to get too involved with the forums. My blog is only a few months old and I joined the bloggers network with a vague idea that it might help with promotion, but I didn't go looking, it just came up when I was having a nose around one MN day. I don't think I'm either a blogger who visits MN or a mumsnetter who blogs, I'm both.

I noticed a couple of clicks on my blog recently came from here, but I wasn't actually aware I was in the network until then. I remembered applying to join, but then don't recall hearing anything until I noticed the clicks. It does seem there needs to be a bit more focus on what this area is for. I was really pleased to find it, but am wondering now how helpful it will be.

I'd be interested in using it to promote my blog yes, but also to connect with likeminded bloggers and find out about anything interesting going on.

valiumpoptarts Wed 19-Sep-12 13:39:14

Hi, I had a quick read of this yesterday and then spent a lot of last night thinking about it when I was supossed to be working Other blog networks out there are more helpful than mn in terms of tutorials, Rt'ing on twitter etc but I still prefer mumsnet. As a mumsnetter who blogs the majority of good blogs that I read are those that I've found through the dump and run section. Interesting blogs (not just look at my lovely child, although arguably I'm prone to that myself) and people that actually I wouldn't mind going out for a drink with in RL. Other networks may be a bit more helpful but are very comercially focussed, yes you won't really get offered product reviews or paid reviews through mn but then they also won't try and start awful twitter parties to promote rubbish brands either (ponders a pombear twitter party) Other than the dump and run I do find it hard to find blogs through here though? The directory is massive. Also loving the idea of a bloggers AIBU grin

MmeLindor Wed 19-Sep-12 21:25:12

Valium
That is interesting - I occasionally look through the Dump and Run thread (maybe we should call it that - might get more people looking!) but find most of my blogs via Twitter or FB.

I agree with you about the promotions. I know MN are doing some of them, but not as many as other blogger networks. I read a comment recently from a blogger who was rejected from MN BN cause her blog had too many reviews.

Funnily enough, I have never been approached by a PR company wanting to do any kind of promotion on my blog. Getting a lot of offers to improve SEO at the moment for some reason.

Stitchthis Thu 20-Sep-12 08:29:35

I never find blogs thru the dump and run. In fact I never read it. I find the techy questions useful but I do question the nature of this section tbh. I find it a bit clique-ish and I sympathise with the non blogging majority of MN who are completely quite disparaging of the whole she-bang. Apart from these limits however, theres also a core of experienced, helpful and very knowledgable ladies who are very generous with their time and advice. without that core the network falls apart. Which begs the question what support can MN provide to bolster and build on this core? I would have a section called blogging (not bloggers) and then have techy, dump and run, AIBU (yes!!) and business related sections. I wouldn't have loads of sections as others have already said.

Re the comments as to numbers of bloggers I am divided. While my liberal half thinks the more the merrier my commercial/elitist self questions whether you risk devaluing a prize brand? But then I think MN may have already done that by hooking up with so so many companies, sponsors, products already. MN is a brilliant brand, MNTowers should be confident enough to use it to their advantage rather than others'. Be stronger.

I'd love to get The Leadership in a room and rework/review their business strategy as it seems to lack focus IMHO ( I'd do it for free I'm so frustrated by it)

But I digress. I often do wink. Thanks for starting this one dilly. Nice one.

Stitchthis Thu 20-Sep-12 17:07:06

Was I too stroppy ?!

MmeGuillotine Thu 20-Sep-12 17:27:39

Not at all, Stitch. I think it's obvious that however occasionally mystifying we find this part of Mumsnet, we all care about it and want it to be both informative and a cool place to hang out. smile

Stitchthis Thu 20-Sep-12 17:38:44

Oh yes. Not being snarky. I'm serious about the strategy tho. I'd love to examine that!
grin

Alreethinny Thu 20-Sep-12 18:10:32

The bloggers section isn't very interactive. I found it really useful for advice in the beginning, I'm a Mumsnetter who turned into a blogger. I do look at blogs via the dump and run, but when I post a link there, I feel I have to curb the urge to chat and just self promote, which goes against my real Mnet personality, which can chunter on for ages.
Yet if you post a chatty thread, you don't get many responses.

I changed my name and now have Alreet for blogging and a separate identity for the rest of mumsnet, I can understand that some people might not want to be connected via their blog to their Mn name, so would have to join me in the split personality club, if blogs are to be promoted in the rest of Mnet.

Even though parts of Mnet are quite anti blogging, perhaps they could be persuaded to come over to the darkside, have a blogging month, trial linking blogs to subjects connected to other parts of the board. As someone has already mentioned arts and crafts would be quite easy, they don't appear hostile to the idea of new information sources.

Maybe as bloggers here, we need to make it what we want it to be. It's already a supportive place, so maybe we need to make the effort to be more chatty here as well.
Well I'm off to think of my first bloggers AIBU and do a blog post about 'Leaving the bastard', so that I can link it in, as soon as someone uses the phrase here.grin

DillyTante Thu 20-Sep-12 19:44:13

Yes we can collar them for a strategy meeting at BlogFest! I'll do the icebreaker and bring big sheets of paper, stitchthis, you bring pens & post its grin. Key phrases to be used are "in that space" "blue sky thinking" and my absolute worst favourite "disbenefits" Or is it just my work that does it like that.

MmeLindor Thu 20-Sep-12 20:53:45

Can it be a strategy breakfast with bacon rolls and champagne?

We need lots of words like 'synergise' and 'breakthrough strategy'.

There are a few of us whinging making the suggestion that we need to chat rather than dump and run so perhaps starting a new chat thread would be a good start.

Stitchthis Thu 20-Sep-12 21:09:35

I think you'll find it's a workshop with the key stakeholders where we discuss the art of the possible.

Bilingual, me. grin

MmeGuillotine Thu 20-Sep-12 21:37:43

What we need is some "does quote marks in the air" BLUE SKY THINKING "end air quote marks"

Stitchthis Thu 20-Sep-12 21:55:31

You jest but I've been known to do this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now