PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Expanding your territory

(7 Posts)
LatteLady Sat 11-Feb-12 19:08:24

I have now been blogging for just under 18 months, writing a fairly successful craft blog, averaging at 600 hit per day. My weekly tutorials are my staple, so I have now decided to extend my reach with a Foodie Friday section where I will post up tried and tested family recipes for people to try out over the weekend. My plan is to eventually spin off to a number of separate blogs for sewing, knitting crochet and cooking etc.

I just wondered how other, more experienced bloggers have continued to extend or reinvent their blogs?

Wow, that's a really good idea! I'm definitely not more experienced than you, I'm in awe of your stats, but would be interested to know how you got to where you are now - organic growth, search terms, networks - any hints or tips?

Plus, I fancy a read - can you let me know your blog address please? grin

louhutt Mon 13-Feb-12 17:23:05

I would like to repeat BaronessOrczy! What is your blog address and how do you get 600 hits per day?

LatteLady Tue 14-Feb-12 10:16:47

Right, this is my blog

My growth has been organic, I decided that initially I would do at least one post a week, after a couple of months, I realised that most of my traffic came after I did tutorials, so I started to try and do one a month, then back in August I thought I would do one a week up to Christmas. Then I decided that it would be a fixture every Sunday with a quirky midweek post but I am now adding a foodie Friday, the discipline makes me work!

Next was sharing what I did, which means getting into a routine when I post, if it is a tutorial then it goes to:
* Handmade Monday
* Pinterest
* UK Craft Forum
* Ravelry
* Facebook
* Twitter
* Random Tutorials
* Craft Gossip
* One Pretty Thing
* Totally tutorials
* Weekend Wonders

Now a number of these sites approached me after seeing my work on other sites, which is why they now get a weekly update. The other essential thing is to make a conscious effort to leave comments on other people linky parties... it's a courtesy and it gets returned. It is not about repeat posting so your blog looks like the work of a spammer but to pick and choose the right niche for your work.

My intention is after another six to nine months hive off to a series of RosCookedMe, RosSewedMe blogs and so on.

Hope that helps smile

Crikey, I'm in awe!

How do you post it to Pinterest? In the interest of gratuitous self publication, here is my blog, any hints and tips very welcome!

ChloeGreene Tue 14-Feb-12 15:26:30

My blog http://chroniclesofchloegreene.blogspot.com/ started being about all aspects of my life, my family and friends. I wrote about whatever I felt like on the day whether it was my daughter getting a nose stud or a visit to a gallery.

Then in November I decided to focus on a very specific time of my life - the 1980s - when I was a penniless student, in love, living in a house scheduled for demolition. So now it is a continuous saga about surviving the 1980s and I've gained a lot more readers since I stuck with this one theme.

CommandoDad Tue 14-Feb-12 15:49:47

Wow, LatteLady, you are amazing. I am completely new to blogging (I blog about being a stay at home dad) and would love to up my followers, so this is really great. In fact, I don't think I even know how to find out how many followers I have.... Thanks for the brilliant tips and advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now