Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

Would you be interested in blogging about miscarriage for the MN campaign?

(43 Posts)
FrauLindor Wed 21-Sep-11 09:22:05

Is this something that the MN Bloggers Network could help publicise?

I know it is asking a lot, to blog about your experiences - I never have and I would find it difficult - but it would be for a very good cause.

Or if you are lucky, and have no personal experience of miscarriage, perhaps you could do a blog about the campaign.

I wondered about doing a blog hop similar to the one that MichelleTwinMum and Hello Gemma did for the Save the Children campaign.

I will email RowenMN, who is coordinating the campaign, if there are a few of you interested in joining in. The campaign is set to kick off later this month.

ReallyRachel Sun 12-Feb-12 12:55:03

I miscarried at 13wks and I think the worst moment was when I went to see my doctor because I was bleeding and he wrote "Threatened Abortion" on my notes!!! I wanted to scream at him because it sounded like I didn't want the baby, when I did. I was then admitted at about 10pm that night, the day before my scheduled ultrasound, and had to wait until 2pm the following day for my ultrasound at the hospital, even though I had an appointment that day for 11am at home. I wasn't given much information and after being discharged to decide if I wanted it surgically removed or to let nature take it's course, the following day I started haemorrhaging badly and ended up being airlifted to hospital as it was 60miles away. Whilst I was there I passed out and when I came to I had all this staff rushing around me and then in agony I sat up and pushed out what remained of my baby. Luckily my mum caught it in a bedpan and rushed to find a doctor but found a consultant and rushed me up to theatre after taking one look at it. Afterwards I had NO information on my baby, I don't know when I lost it and all I know is a comment from the ultrasound tech saying it looked like I had an empty sac and then the hospital phoned to say I needed some strong antibiotics but they didn't say why or if it was connected to the baby and when I asked they kinda covered up their answer. I think I lost the baby at 7wks as I think I saw something on my notes when I was at the drs once, but I don't know for sure and I'm left with a feeling of guilt afterwards. I was lucky enough to conceive my daughter 2wks after my miscarriage but in hindsight I wished I'd given myself time to grief first but instead all I could think about was getting pregnant again.

ElenMumsnetBloggers (MNHQ) Mon 10-Oct-11 10:44:13

Hi there bloggers,

The MN Better Miscarriage Care Campaign launches today and we'd love you to blog in support of the campaign. Go to the Miscarriage Survey for the latest facts and figures, or find out about the Mumsnet Miscarriage Code of Care. If you want to do more for the campaign, or would rather write a letter than blog about it, here's how you can spread the word.

Thanks again for all your support!

alipalipanju Thu 06-Oct-11 19:30:12

I am more than happy to blog about my miscarriage. It happened while on holiday in New Zealand tho so not sure it will be relevant about care so much although I can't fault the care I got so might make for good comparison?

Ali

Hi I'd like to be involved, I had two miscarriages before having my three children. I've got lots to say about a code of care, I don't want to knock the NHS but the care I received on both occasions was woeful so I plan to write about how care of women who miscarry could be improved.

BloggerAJD Fri 30-Sep-11 14:30:17

This is my blog btw: http://aliciajduffy.blogspot.com/

Like I say, more than happy to host guest posts and I'll research and write an analysis of the wider issues to publish that week too. Can't guarantee huge traffic, but will definitely get the word out as much as I can. If people don't mind (up to them) I could include quotes from them in an overall article that I'll cross post to Think Left or suchlike as well.

(Oh, and in case you think I'm a massive noob, I'm not - namechanged for blogging stuff as I use my real name on my blog and don't want to link that to my MN name. Pombears, biscuits, friday nights, etc) (I am quite a noob to blogging though, although have written for comment is free, fabian society etc, so hopefully I can use my attention seeking thing for good) (I'll stop with the brackets now)

LynnCSchreiber Fri 30-Sep-11 14:28:42

Ok, Shall I start a thread for guest posts? To save everyone trawling through this one?

iloveblue Fri 30-Sep-11 14:04:28

Hi
I would definitely be interested in this.
I have already talked briefly about my miscarriages on my blog but would be more than happy to get involved in this.

stitchthis Fri 30-Sep-11 12:06:11

thanks

MrsKwazii Fri 30-Sep-11 12:03:15

Great idea - am definitely up for it. I had, generally, very good care during my miscarriage, but would still be willing to blog about it to raise awareness of the campaign and also of miscarriage in general. This is something that people need to feel able to talk about, it shouldn't be hidden away.

ElenMumsnetBloggers (MNHQ) Fri 30-Sep-11 11:08:18

kathywhite

If I write a blog about my experience or to promote more awareness, what links should I include?

Hi kathywhite,

The campaign is planned for the w/c 10th October, and we'll post before then with details of links to the Mumsnet Miscarriage Care Campaign so you know where to point your audience.

ElenMumsnetBloggers (MNHQ) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:42:46

breadfortheboys

Elen, for those of us happy to write about our experiences but without a blog (or appropriate blog for the subject) should we submit our work to you to link up with an appropriate blogger? Is there a date by which such work should be submitted?

Hi breadfortheboys,
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, we think it'd work better - and more organically - if you self-organise, rather than have us issue orders! Have a look at this thread and see who's agreed to host a guest post about miscarriage. Then you can PM one of those bloggers, asking if they'd mind hosting your post. (FrauLindor, cheria, tee2072 and BloggerAJD have all offered to host).

kathywhite Thu 29-Sep-11 21:56:44

If I write a blog about my experience or to promote more awareness, what links should I include?

stitchthis Thu 29-Sep-11 20:56:11

I think so. No one ever talks about it, do they. Oh feck it, count me in.

TheAlphaParent Thu 29-Sep-11 20:10:16

I'll be tweeting about miscarriage to support the campaign. I don't feel qualified to write about it in length at this point in time.

Tee2072 Thu 29-Sep-11 20:09:52

I've started writing a blog post about mine to see if I could and I think I'd be willing to post it.

Also happy to host a guest blog the same week.

BloggerAJD Thu 29-Sep-11 19:58:26

My blog is probably good for it actually, now I think about it, since I blog about social policy issues, so it is kind of exactly my subject. Sorry, wasn't thinking.

Again, happy to host a guest post from a human perspective, and I will do something myself from a more policy type perspective (I'm trying to get a mix on my blog, so will be fine)

Can't promise a huge readership, but the offer is there smile

Toomuchtea Thu 29-Sep-11 19:09:50

Just been looking at the threads on this, and the recommendations. My last miscarriage was 17 years ago (gosh, not 15, as I said), and the truly depressing thing is how very little has changed. I chaired a conference for the Miscarriage Association in 1995 which made all those points, and STILL women are going into ante natal wards, and still experiencing crushingly insensitve staff. Makes me want to weep.

Not quite sure how a blog on miscarriage will sit on what is basically a horsy blog, but I do not care.

breadfortheboys Wed 28-Sep-11 19:51:55

Elen, for those of us happy to write about our experiences but without a blog (or appropriate blog for the subject) should we submit our work to you to link up with an appropriate blogger? Is there a date by which such work should be submitted?

ElenMumsnetBloggers (MNHQ) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:01:21

Hi all,

We'd love those who're interested to write or host a blog post about miscarriage in support of the Mumsnet Miscarriage campaign this October. Mumsnet will be promoting the Miscarriage Code of Care and getting the message out into the wider world. Through blogging and tweeting, you can really help to spread the word - and as Elinor mentioned above, we're on hand to give you all the help you require...

Elen

TamsinConstable Tue 27-Sep-11 13:37:59

It's not appropriate for my own blog (Looking for Dragons, which focuses on getting outdoors and involved with nature), but I might consider doing a guest post.

BloggerAJD Mon 26-Sep-11 21:56:02

I have never had a miscarriage, and my blog is quite new and probably too politicsy, but am more than happy to host a guest post and/or even blog on the subject myself. Just let me know what I need to do smile

Toomuchtea Mon 26-Sep-11 14:08:56

Is 15 years ago too long ago? Though it might be interesting to contrast my experiences to someone else's more recent ones. Or be depressed at how little has altered.

ElinorMumsnetBloggers (MNHQ) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:24:05

FrauLindor

Could I ask those who would like to host a guest blog post to sign in here? Then if any non-blogging members of MN would like to get their story out there - even anonymously - then we could offer them a place to tell it.

I would be happy to host a guest post one day and tell my own story a second day.

Thanks for suggesting this, FrauLindor - and to everyone who's volunteered. It's a great idea, and this sounds like a good way to get organising it.

Here's a bit of info on how the network can help MN with its campaign work the week of 10th October.

We can get the word out to other Mumsnetters, for anyone who'd like to take part.

We can help promote your blogs a couple of ways: we can feature them on the site and spread the word through Twitter and Facebook.

And we could also curate some of the guest posts to promote on the site and prompt a conversation.

I'll be in touch when we've got some updates.

Elinor

Tee2072 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:53:13

As I said, not sure I'm willing to write about it myself, but happy to host a guest blogger.

Cheria Wed 21-Sep-11 17:46:00

I'd be happy to host a guest post. Also happy to link the post I already did about my m/c to any bloghop thingy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now