So, busy weekend. Shampooed the cat, seeded the lawn, gave birth...

(98 Posts)
ShowOfHands Mon 05-Sep-11 16:09:33

I don't do brevity. I warned you about this during the last birth announcement. And not only does this predilection for the epic include talking about gingerbread, waffling on about birth trauma from years ago etc, it apparently also includes giving birth to dc2.

Not many people have escaped from my tales of dd's birth 4 years ago and I swore I'd never, ever do it again. But being a liar and a bit greedy where squishy small people are concerned, I did.

Raphael was born on Saturday, 38hrs post waters rupturing spectacularly all over my best sheet, a mildly miffed dh and a crocodile. An Ikea crocodile no less. I can't fit babies through my pelvis, though not for lack of blooming trying, so the nice lady with the sparkly glasses (everything was sparkling at that point to be completely frank) gave me some drugs and kindly removed the boy from me. He's smashing. Looks a bit like a lizard but squeaks like a warthog. I forsee great entertainment.

His name means 'God shall heal' apparently. Which is fairly fitting. Because I thought should I end up with another emcs I'd be utterly fractured by it. But it turns out that I now know I can't do it. I can't blow up balloons or play chess either. And while nobody wants to do those things for me, there are nice people at the hospital who are trained to assist with my crap pelvis and stuck babies. And thank goodness for that. Because it's only a process by which my lizard babies crash into existence. And the very fact that they exist rather transcends the small details of how I got them here.

He's a clever little boy. Taught me a lot already. Not least that there are feelings after giving birth that are just universal to becoming a parent and nothing to do with any perceived failure or regret. I particularly like the realisation that having any baby, in whatever way, feels just like somebody's handed you a wet octopus you've never seen before in your life and said 'here dress, feed and love this thing'. And your brain screams 'I really do think you've got the wrong person for the job'. But then at some point, possibly in the wee small hours when everybody else is asleep and it's just you and the octopus, you look down at his squished nose and puckered little duck lips and realise that you belong together. I'm tired. I think what I'm grasping unerringly at is that it always feels like rather a shock to the system but it turns out it's not so scary after all. He's just my wee boy. And I quite simply love him.

He's got a very proud family, especially his big sister who occasionally lets me hold him.

I did it. I had another baby. Just in case anybody fancied reading about something other than trolls or riots or whatever else is happening round these here parts.

NB: the Ikea croc was a rather cunning sleep aid even if it is meant to be a toy. I thoroughly recommend it.

StellaAndFries Mon 05-Sep-11 17:20:48

Congratulations smile

Peachy Mon 05-Sep-11 17:23:51

AS I am sure that came out wrong have asked for it to be removed by MNHQ

And will isntead say

CONGRATULATION AND WELCOME TO YOU, LOVELY RAPHAEL

Oh wow!! Huge congratulations SoH!! I think that might well be the nicest birth announcements I have read.

Fab name too!

EggyAllenPoe Mon 05-Sep-11 17:45:34

oh congratulations!
that's wonderful, wonderful news!

ShowOfHands Mon 05-Sep-11 17:50:31

Peachy don't be silly. You made me smile

Showyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Just doing that to counteract people calling you "SoH" because you once said it wasn't friendly enough smile

mycatsaysach Mon 05-Sep-11 17:53:20

awwwwwwww congrats x

Congratulations! Lovely news, well done. (I'm sure you don't remember but you persuaded me to write my DS2 birth story on here 5 months ago, and then I went and wrote it up properly for our local NCT mag, so cheers for that!)

Peachy Mon 05-Sep-11 17:59:10

Phew SoH!

you know what hormonal new mums can be like... wink

Oh, just lovely - congratulations to you and The Shows and welcome to Raphael :-)

Showy grin Massive congratulations from all of us here. I am so glad that Raphael has already lived up to his name and you have some kind of acceptance for what happened with M. Your pelvis might be a bit crap but you certainly know how to make gorgeous babies.

I'm also glad you are finally "out". I recognised you on a couple of pregnancy threads (I'm not btw - just very nosey) and didn't want to out you.

SecretNutellaFix Mon 05-Sep-11 18:04:42

Congratulations on your little lizard babygrin

Lovely name as well.

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 18:07:46

Oh what a wonderful name - well done lady and absolute congratulations x

debka Mon 05-Sep-11 20:04:07

What a wonderful birth story showy, congratulations, and welcome to the world Raphael smile

<wipes away tears>

Flisspaps Mon 05-Sep-11 20:09:02

Massive congratulations Showy and welcome Raphael smile

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 05-Sep-11 20:13:12

Congratulations to Showy and the rest of the Hands family.

Fabulous story grin

mumblejumble Tue 06-Sep-11 01:58:36

Congratulations! smile

LeBOF Tue 06-Sep-11 02:10:58

You are a complete star, and your family is beautiful smile

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 06-Sep-11 02:16:46

Lovely story, congratulations smile

Charleymouse Tue 06-Sep-11 06:20:40

Showy, huge congratulations to you all! Especially you for the making and birthing bits.
I love that bit in Men In Black where he delivers the alien baby and it makes me smile. Obviously your baby is the most beautiful little boy and in no way does he look like a lizard, octopus, turtle or alien. Much love CM xxx

Thumbwitch Tue 06-Sep-11 06:41:59

Awwww Showy! I didn't realise that other thread was you - congratulations indeed and I'm so glad that this little boy's birth has been so much better for you, despite the emCS again. I have a friend whose DW's pelvis can't pass babies through it either - she has had 3 CS, although the last 2 were elCS, not emCS, but yes - her pelvis is too small inside for their heads.

See, your boy must've known that. grin

So very very pleased for you lovey - beautiful name too and I hope you are getting lots of help and care. smile x

deemented Tue 06-Sep-11 06:43:49

Aw, what a lovely lovely birth story.

Huge congratulations to all they Showy family smile

MrsSnaplegs Tue 06-Sep-11 06:44:39

Showy congratulations, a wonderful birth story! Welcome to the ninja tutrlegrin

peggyblackett Tue 06-Sep-11 06:48:31

Awww SOH that's lovely smile

What a lovely birth story, congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now