Best 'new baby' gift

(32 Posts)
securegal Sun 03-Apr-11 19:46:06

I was wondering if all of you lovely ladies could give me some advice. My best friend has given birth to a lovely little girl today and I wanted to buy her something to say congratulations. I don't have children and am aware that she is likely to be inundated with bunches of flowers. I'd like to buy her something luxurious for her, and something for baby, but would like to give her something that she'd actually really like. What were the best presents that people bought for you? What do people who just had a baby really want (apart from sleep)?? Thank you so much in advance!

mewkins Fri 04-Jul-14 21:36:07

I love a nice colourful pram blanket in washable soft cotton. Also if it's a first child a few baby toys/ teethers are nice. Flowers, chocolates and sweets etc would probably be appreciated too!

FreeSpirit89 Fri 16-May-14 09:14:38

My best friend bought my son a dumbo teddy (baby friendly) from the Disney store. That was four years ago and he still holds it.

I loved anything bath like. Bombs, butters. Lush is amazing, some of there boxes they do are lovely, you can ask them about new mum stuff too.

TheBookofRuth Thu 24-Apr-14 06:33:31

My favourite present was one I requested myself - a very soft silk velvet dressing gown in a larger size than normal. It is very comfy, didn't rub on my csec scar, and looked nice enough that I didn't mind visitors seeing me in it.

Jo Malone bath oil is always good for a bit of luxury.

DH and I quite often send new mums a hamper of pregnancy "forbidden fruits" - nice wine, pate, soft cheese, etc - if she's the sort to appreciate it.

Amazon vouchers for e-books and DVD box sets - I found both invaluable during long broken nights. Another new mum and I used to joke that our babies would have some sort of Pavlovian response to The West Wing theme tune, as we watched so much of it during night feeds.

Are you sure she has been inundated with flowers? I ask because no-one, including DH, sent me any and two years on I'm still little hurt. Actually no-one gave me anything (the aforementioned dressing gown was actually a Christmas present), which was fine, but I would have liked some flowers.

PrincessBabyCat Thu 24-Apr-14 05:45:57

The best things I got was a super soft fuzzy blanket for baby and meals I could just pop in the microwave. Also, I didn't realize how much I liked the diapers I got for a gift until I needed them. smile

But the very best best thing I got was 3 days of SLEEP while my husband took over baby duty so I could recover once we got home from the hospital.

atthestrokeoftwelve Sun 02-Mar-14 08:09:11

My friend gave me an apple tree on the birth of each of my children. Now strong and sturdy they started to produce fruit when the kids were toddlers and they loved picking the apples- we still get hundreds of fruit in autumn. THe kids love having their own tree- they have been lovely gifts which still go on giving many years later.

One of my friends gave me a grocery shop but it was full of things I hadn't been able to eat and drink while pregnant. It was bliss-champagne, pate, brie etc!

Daiso Sun 02-Mar-14 07:44:06

I got so many lovely things including something called "the birthday year book" m.gettingpersonal.co.uk/gifts/birthday-year-book.htm
which was one of my favourite presents ever.
I also got a plaque with DS name, birth date, time and weight which is in his room and looks fab.
We got lots of clothes too which were all gratefully received but I'm quite picky so you may risk getting something that she is not too keen on.
For me my best friend bought me a bottle of my favourite wine (couldn't wait to drink it!!) And some beautiful earrings which every time I wear I think back to the week after DS birth.
Does she have a Pandora or similar charm bracelet as you could get her a charm?

GemmaB2011 Thu 06-Feb-14 10:46:59

Have a look at The Peekaboo Baby Company. I just bought my friend a baby gift box from here and she loved it. Full of really good quality products and lots of choice as well. I think the website is www.babybox.biz

LadyFlumpalot Tue 08-Oct-13 08:31:31

I don't know what it's called, but my aunt bought a fleecy blanket that goes inside the car seat/pram with holes for the straps so you can wrap baby up and then (and this is the genius part) you can take them out still wrapped up warm and put them down to sleep without disturbing them!

My mum bought me gift vouchers for my favourite shoe shop as she knew that after 9 months of sensible shoes I was absolutely pining for heels!

Bodicea Tue 08-Oct-13 04:39:21

I would appreciate mamamio products or nice food.

Love the cleaner present someone suggested. If i didn't already have a cleaner that would probably get my vote as best present.

windywoo26 Sat 21-Sep-13 20:01:29

I was given a selection of luxury ready meals and desserts from Cook! They can be ordered online to be delivered. They were wonderful in the first few days. As others have said lovely smellies to make you feel a bit pampered are wonderful. A lady I work with gave me some lovely chocolates with an instruction that they were to be eaten during night time feeds. Made me feel so much better at 2 in the morning!

Emigrated Sat 21-Sep-13 17:30:32

Milkscreen! Also a cd of womb noises in case it helps the baby settle.

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:13:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I also liked the books people gave that were copies of their favourite books.

haddock1976 Mon 12-Dec-11 10:04:19

I always send some smelly bath stuff, a lavender candle, a small teddy and for the father a bottle of something I know they drink be it port or scotch. If they are family then I'll throw in a waitrose or m&s voucher for food too.

Never bothered with flowers.

PeelingmyselfofftheCeiling Mon 12-Dec-11 09:58:27

Another vote for food.

Handcream for her - my hands are in bits from all the washing.

Gorgeous blankets from organics for kids are among my favourite gifts we received.

Baby clothes in the next size up - one morning she'll wake up and nothing will fit her dc because they've grown overnight!

Black and White social baby books - fascinating for young babies.

A blanket. We'd bought cot blankets but ones for pram hadn't crossed my mind.

ScaryFairy28 Tue 30-Aug-11 17:45:31

I'd have loved some Inch Blue shoes for DD.

Jojay Sat 02-Jul-11 18:51:42

Definitely food, stuff that needs no preparation and can be eaten one handed.

Thorntons mini brownies and mini millionnaires shortbread go down well.

Jdore Sat 02-Jul-11 18:47:17

A cleaner for 6 weeks .... very very thoughtful & practical my brother grin

stabiliser15 Thu 30-Jun-11 20:24:42

My SIL brought round a small storage box which matched our living room decor, with changing mat, wipes, pack of nappies etc so I could have a mini-changing station downstairs. It was fantastic and we still use it 5 months later so we dont have to run up and down to DD's changing table every time she needs changing. Possibly that's because we're quite lazy (!!) but it was one of the most thoughtful gifts we received.

sarahloula Sun 12-Jun-11 16:33:48

I don't know about anyone else but when my little one was born 8 weeks ago we got bought soooooo many clothes. We'd already bought her a fair bit and now her wardrobes are bursting at the seams with clothes she will grow out of any probably never wear. Presents I really appreciated were lovely books she can read when she's older.

BikeRunSki Sun 12-Jun-11 11:22:12

Has she got a hobby that she is passionate about? My favourite new baby gift was a T shirt for DS that said "Cycling is in my Blood" (DH and I both keen cyclists). Simple but very thoughtful and personal. It was from Cafe Press and they have slogans on baby grows and T shirts of all sizes about anything!

And do her a "big shop" and throw in some nice ready meals, posh toiletries and cereal bars for by her bed, when she is too tired and hungry to get up.

Burt's Bees toiletries are lovely for mum and baby, they do a baby started pack.

Cartoonjane Sun 12-Jun-11 11:15:39

I second cooked meals.

PukeyRag Sun 12-Jun-11 11:14:16

Ooh, I agree with feedthegoat, I think that would be a good idea.

I really liked my soothing bath stuff, Umi bath milk was lovely (nice and healing) and I also got given some Organic At Heart stretch mark cream, healing mummy and baby balm, and baby massage oil which are all really nice smile

Just stuff that makes you feel all nice and scrummy after you've been through what feels like pooing a melon grin (Sorry if that offends anyone!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now