Any recommendations for birth announcement cards - cheap and quick

(34 Posts)

Just getting prepared for when our baby comes. If it comes on time then we will have a week from birth until last posting date for Christmas, and would love to include arrivals cards in our Christmas cards - any suggestions for cheap and quick places where we can get them done - just a photo on one side and the name and key details on the back is fine.

DrSeuss Wed 01-Dec-10 09:31:08

Fortunately, she found a job elsewhere. I correct the English of my students, even when they complain that they "don't want to talk posh. I explain that people will, like it or not, judge you by your level of spoken English and that accent is fine, poor grammar is not.

plupervert Wed 01-Dec-10 12:44:12

Yes, JH made the point in the book that the fashion for not teaching a "standard" English (in the 70s?) was prompted by the idea that regional accents/dialects were "just as valid". Unfortunately, continued JH, there are still plenty of people in authority who don't feel this, so this did a real disservice to some people. I guess the effects of the "disservice" have multiplied into a general ignorance of certain things - after all, children of the 70s have now had kids...

This possibly makes me sound like a horrible snob, but if you think about it, teaching "proper" grammar is anti elitist!

DrSeuss Wed 01-Dec-10 17:07:54

Call me a snob if you like but the fact that my natural accent is RP has always worked out very nicely for me, thank you. It is totally natural and has not been "worked on" in the least! Hearing it, people make certain assumptions about me, pretty much all of which play in my favour. I have no problem with regional accents, in fact I like them and think that if we all sounded the same it would be very boring. But grammar is different. You can speak grammatical English with or without a regional accent. failure to speak properly will lead to assumptions being made which are certainly not in your favour.

plupervert Wed 01-Dec-10 19:05:58

"Quayte!" grin

P.S. Me, too.

P.P.S. Sorry for the hijack, yellowflowers...

mcmillan78 Sat 15-Jan-11 18:01:35

Hi all, I'm joining this strand late, but wanted to warn others to not use 'Baby Says Hello' website for their birth announcement cards. I ordered some cards a few days after the birth of my son in December and they still haven't arrived. What's more no-one answers the phone when I've called or responds to the emails I've sent. Needless to say the money was taken off my card immediately, so it looks like I'm about £60 down at the mo. I've asked my credit card company to investigate whether the company actually exists.

Ruby1988 Fri 08-Jul-11 16:31:51

where did you buy them in the end???
i got mine from www.planet-cards.co.uk/ and they arrived in two or three days if i remember rightly!!

HannahM1984 Sun 23-Sep-12 10:04:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

loulu74 Wed 20-Mar-13 19:47:29

tinyfeetdesigns.co.uk were great

Floweryhat Wed 20-Mar-13 19:50:59

Lovely stuf on folksy or in my experience photobox deliver faster than vistaprint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now